Dmc's Aquaponic Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Dmc, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hi everyone.

I'm registered with HC under Canada's ACMPR to grow for my medical use. I use an aquaponics system my dad built with a few additions I made myself, such as an ERV, light movers, dual root zones, etc. Right now we have Pineapple Express, Cheese and Romberry (Romulan x blueberry) in the dual root zones that are in the beds, along with a Colombian Black (100% landrace) on top of the beds with a few Jack herer. We have a mother room with a few different strains and we're working on establishing more mother plants asap.

We also put red wrigglers in the beds to eat up any dead roots or leafs that fall into the media. Our dual root zones are made so that the plant always has access to the high nutrient water produced by the fish, and then the top zone is for our supersoil mix which consists of many organic ingredients (I can list them if anyone is curious, it's Subcool's supersoil mix recipe).

For anyone that doesn't know what aquaponics is, it's basically combining hydroponics with aquaculture, and uses 80-90% less water than any other growing method (hydro, soil, etc).

Looking forward to updating this on a regular basis =). This current crop is our third harvest out of the system.

IMG_4075.JPG IMG_4128.JPG IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4132.JPG IMG_4134.JPG IMG_4135.JPG IMG_4136.JPG IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4142.JPG IMG_4148.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. very nice :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's cool your dad is helping you out. I've seen it work. It's really cool. Sounds like you got your shit together. Good luck

Cutter63

• Like Like x 2
  4. hi, very nice setup.
    have been reading about aquaponics for the last 3 to 4 years or so...
    so far great for lettuce !

but for medical plants... i seen a lot of deficiencies
    can you advice what nutrients do you use and at what schedule without harm the fish ?
    thanks!

5. Thanks everyone! It took about a year to get things to way they should be going, a lot of trial and error, a lot of sickly looking plants, but we finally have a system in place that seems to be working quite well.

We use a dual root zone with an organic mix of supersoil so the plants don't have any deficiencies. . . We are working on strains that will be able to be planted directly in the bed (we've tested it already last year, and the plants do bud without the dual root zone, they just don't get as heavy =P). Other than that, the only other thing I have to add to the system water direclty is Chelated Iron, the fish supply plenty of nutrients and the supersoil bulks the plants up even more. Some more info here: Dual Root Zone - Dude Grows

This is what my dual root zones look like before the soil goes in. The burlap is on top of the expanded clay, and the dual root zone buckets are put in the system just far enough so the bottom of the buckets have water for the roots to reach down into. When the plants are ready for harvest, we simply lift it out using the overlapped burlap then we replace the burlap and plant a new clone/plant. [​IMG]

Our supersoil mix that we use for the dual root zone top consists of the following ingredients:
    Organic soil
    Worm Castings
    Bone Meal
    Dolomite Lime (removing next round, tends to raise pH of aquaponics system)
    Azomite
    Blood Meal
    Bat guano
    Epsom Salt
    25% Perlite for extra drainage

Here's a photo of a Purple Hindu Kush in flower in the dual root zone:

MB-1000-4.jpg - The very top cola of this plant was 49g wet, dry it worked out to about 11g.

Here's a photo of Golden Gauge (70/30 sativa)
    gg2.jpg

Cropped both out a few weeks ago, and I dry for 3-5 days then cure for a minimum of 30 days... Results in ultrasmooth smoke and flavour that can't be matched by traditional growing methods =)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks @Dmc for your reply

i have a DRZ, but learned about organic super soil to late...
    was to busy reading the hydroponics and nutrients forums
    so i am waiting to finish the first experiment to start again, but with super soil instead of plain pro mix

so, only chelated iron to the aquaponic system, and just plain water to the DRZ! Wow!
    do you use fish water for your watering schedule of the DRZ, or just plain water?
    what about kelp, I have read in the organics forum, that kelp meal is very important in every organic Soil

I bet that if you add to your fish water kelp, humic and epsom
    then to the soil add some kelp meal
    and of course foliar feed of tea (kelp, Mycos+, humic, fulvic, enzimes, aminos, Ca areated for 24hrs)
    your next yield will be much better

I am preparing a mix consisting of:
    50% pro mix HP (peat moss with perlite)
    25% worm castings
    (almost 25% peatmoss, 25% perlite, 25% worm castings)

the other 25% is equal parts of:
    Kelp Meal
    Kelp Meal again!
    Neem Cake
    Kelp4less potting mix
    Glaciar Rock Dust
    Rock Phosphate
    Alfalfa Meal
    Azomite
    Crab Meal
    Fish Bone Meal
    Silica

Basically a mix of the amendments recomended by the build a soil site and forum grasscity organics section, I can buy bulk from the kelp4less site, except for the worm casting to expensive, i can buy it locally for about 1/4 the internet price!
    I read in the organic forum that the more amendments the better the soil

what do you think about that soil mix?

I like your approach of removing the plant by pulling the burlap
    do you recicle the super soil for a future grow?
    or a new mix must be made?

Attached Files:

7. Yep! Either pH 6.0 kangen water or ph 7 rain water, sometimes I put a little bit of water soluable seaweed extract in the water too, the plants love it. Our mix usually has kelp meal in it but we couldn't source it locally so we left it out of this mix, haven't had any issues yet! We will be recycling the soil quite a few times, it's a very nutrient rich mix and we should be able to get a few crops with it =). We just added a bunch of worm castings and some soil to "water" it down a bit before it's put back into the DRZ. =P

I'm no soil expert myself, but I think if you added some bat guano to that mix you'd be good to go! Also, if possible, we always add some local soil to our mix to introduce local pathogens, etc to our strains.

The pH of the system is quite high right now, sitting at around 7.2 but that will slowly go down overtime especially once we start to add more plants. Also, the removal of the dolomite lime should help with that!

I've been sick the past week so not many garden updates, but I've started some Cambodian land race, Super lemon haze, Golden Gauge and Sunshine. Will update that with photos soon! For a veg mix we use approx 1/3rd organic soil, 1/3rd worm castings, 1/3rd perlite. I added some soil fungus gnat predators to the veg and bloom mixes too. . .Also introduced Rove beetles to the main garden.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here's a photo of one of the bigger nugs off the Purple Hindu Kush after a quick trim. It's been curing for about 2 weeks now =)

IMG_4229.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  9. How long is your normal veg time?

10. I forget how long the PKH was in veg for, but it wasn't long. Maybe a few weeks. They only got between 1-2 feet tall.

11. updates?

12. I've been slacking a bit!

The Pineapple Express has been cut down and is in it's second week of curing, I'll try and take photos of it this week sometime.

Cheese, Columbian Black & I think Barbara Bud or Haoma are in flower still.

pH is still stable at 7.3, for an aquaponics system the goal is to eventually get to 6.8-7 range. I think adding more plants to the system will help lower the pH. I'll be posting some new photos once there's a little more excitement going on =)

13. Less than 6.8pH is even better.

Ideally, 6.4-6.8pH

14. "While the plants generally prefer a slightly acidic pH (in the low sixes to upper fives), the fish and bacteria prefer a slightly alkaline pH (in the high sevens to low eights). Therefore, pH management in aquaponics is an exercise in compromise between the two ranges. The ideal target is a pH of 6.8 to 7."

15. At 6.8pH and higher, you'll have lockout. Ideally, you want as low as the fish can handle. I started 3 years ago closer to 7.0, but slowly worked down to 6.4 It seems to work better for my garden.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think the fish I have could tolerate lower, how did you get down to 6.4? Did you just let the system naturally lower itself? I know how to raise pH in an aquaponics system, but in terms of lowering pH, everything I've read said it's mostly just a waiting game. Could you confirm? Thanks!

17. Generally I let the system nitrification process take care of it, but I've had some tank spillage in the past (hundreds of gallons), and have use muriatic acid in these emergencies. If I use acid, I pH my tank to 6.8, then let it float to 6.4 via nitrification of ammonia. Once a week I top off with city tap water, which brings my pH from 6.4, at the end of the week, back up to 6.8pH. It works out good.

18. Thanks for the tips! I'm using rainwater for topping up. I'm going to add more plants and let the system nitrification process slowly lower the pH. I figure it's the best way to do it as I don't want to shock my fish and I've had decent yields even with the pH sitting around 7-7.3