Dizziness, lack of energy, inability to handle it

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by HMP55, Jun 20, 2020.

1. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm 42 years old and am very healthy. Workout every day and I'm very fit. I've been smoking since I was a teenager.

Starting last year, I've noticed that after I smoke, I get dizzy. Sometimes, I feel like I'm going to faint. My body temperature increases. Sometimes, I'm unable to do anything and have to lie down. This never happened before. And this happens after 2-3 hits. I can no longer smoke more because I'm afraid of the effect. And I can't smoke often anymore either.

I don't know if it's age or some underlying health issue. Or if I'm missing some key nutrients in my diet that is causing this.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

2. It'd help if you gave a bit more info on the issue. What are you smoking, Indica, Sativa or hybrid? What time of day? Are you having personal issues that would cause high stress? I'm 60 and have been smoking off and on since 14 and I now smoke every night due to sleep issues and have no problems at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. My first guess would be blood pressure due to dehydration. I've seen this happen in a few people several times and usually it's cleared up by better drinking habits (By drinking I mean water), and the immediate treatment that worked was drinking something with electrolytes in it.

From what I've been able to gather cannabis causes a short term spike in BP followed by a slight drop from where it started. My wife's sister had this happen often enough that I started keeping pedialyte in the fridge just for that reason.

Don't take my word as medical advice though, perhaps consider discussing with a dr to get a checkup but if drinking some water and gatorade helps you recover from such a spell I'd look at your fluid intake habits and then talk to a dr about checking blood pressure etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cannabis can cause a temporary increase in blood pressure and if your already in the high range the spike could be the source of the dizzy, faint feeling your experiencing.
    Had your BP checked recently ?

Different strains contain various levels of THC to CBD and if the ratio of CBD is to low I get jumpy feeling from it.
    In the constant quest for every higher THC levels the ratio is changing across the entire rangeof cannabis IME. I run my plants a bit longer for more amber and a less sharp edged stone. Seems to have fixed my issues with the current seeds I'm gifted from friends they find in dispensary bags.

Try both. Check-watch your BP and try a higher ratio of CBD to your THC.
    Black pepper corns are good at taking the anxiety edge down a notch or two. Fresh grind some and sniff the odor or chew a pepper corn or two. Don't actually snort the fragments. :) .

BNW

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. It's almost impossible to know for sure without copious amounts of blood work for better context. Might be high blood pressure, and there's a physiological precedent as to why this can happen. Cannabis (when smoked) is well known for stimulating the release of catecholamines and glucocorticoids. And if you have elevated cortisol, there's a increased chance that the dopamine being produce by the high is actually being converted into epinephrine (aka adrenaline).

When your adrenaline increases, this can cause vasoconstriction in your blood vessels leading to higher BP, and thus could cause some of the undesirable symptoms people commonly think of when they have a "bad high" so to speak. Including stuff like anxiety, rapid heartbeat, cold sweat, hyperventilation, agitation, jolted feelings, etc. There's really no definintive way to correct this given everyone has their own unique hormone and neurotransmitter balance. However there is some generalized things you can try that could help, like stimulating more GABA production. Taking magnesium is a good way to do this, considering magnesium also has vasodilation effects to blood vessels, and thus can lower BP.

Eating foods that contain more gelatin in them will raise GABA levels, common foods high in gelatin is stuff like jello and bone broth. But you can also just buy packs of pure gelatin and add it to whatever. Avoiding really low carbohydrate diets can help prevent cortisol levels from getting too high, as when glucose levels drop cortisol rises to help compensate for this. Even though you won't notice immediate benefits, probably the best long term lifestyle alteration you could make is removing anything in your diet that has vegetable oil (or fish oil) in it. Polyunsaturated fats are highly unstable, and they fuck with our prostaglandin synthesis which is actually controlled by the endocannabinoid system.

I think cyproheptadine has some sort of hidden benefit to it as well, I can't really elaborate on what mechanism it plays on, but it likely has something to do with lowering serotonin, prolactin, and adrenaline, thus shifting everything back to dopamine synthesis. I had a friend who would sometimes get major anxiety attacks after smoking weed, I would just give him 4mgs of cyproheptadine (i.e Periactin) and in about 20 minutes he was always back to the chilled relaxed state. Also worth noting, edibles don't seem to elevate cortisol in the same way smoking does. Although it's still possible for edibles to increase adrenaline if you have some imbalance elsewhere.

6. Wow. Thanks for the amazing replies. I think there's some truth here and some actionable follow up things for me to do. I have hope!

I don't have high blood pressure, but smoking might cause it temporarily. Plus, the stress of having a young child is probably spiking my cortisol too. Will also look into supplementation!

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. No problem. If you choose to supplement magnesium, I recommend getting a chelated version of it. Magnesium oxide isn't really absorbed well. The latter is more for people who have trouble taking a dump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WE ARE NOT DOCTORS HERE! With that out of the way go see your primary.

9. Just wanted to circle back to those who responded. I believe the issue has been resolved. Stopping coffee did the trick. Had been drinking multiple cups daily for many years. Life changer.

• Like Like x 1