DIY VENTURI, DIY NEEDLEWHEEL IMPELLER, DIY AIRSTONE contest!!!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by geneticengineer, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Made the best Venturi yet, very small bubbles and strong water flow. Since it is positioned on the intake it has a lot of torque and will not be affected by vertical flow.

Attached Files:

2. I'm having alot of heartburn thinking about whether or not this will properly aerate the whole bin as the grow progresses..I will have two plants, one on each end, so I am trying to how to best ensure each side is getting saturated, even as the root structure starts to fill the bin. I wonder if placing the valve in the middle perpendicular to the long side would be good, or maybe having a tee fitting at the out put of the venturi valve would be more effective at splitting the stream......

Any thoughts on that?

I have not seen this thing in action, perhaps I need to see that to see with my own eyesd the kind of coverage/aeration/circulation we are dealing with.....

3. New Venturi design.

Micro bubbles, high water flow rate- very efficient

uses air compressor fittings and common hose thread fittings on intake of water pump

Attached Files:

4. heres some pics from a venturi I made. very efficient with small fast moving bubbles

its made on the intake

Attached Files:

5. more venturi pics

very efficient design. can run right out of your pump no tube needed

Attached Files:

6. Wow, Great info...I saved it and going back to read what you have stated. I am a visual person and I see U posted many thumbnails, great! If I were to build your design I would need more step by step instructions and pictures to follow. Now my question is at this time would to buy a pump for a protein skimmer that has the attachment already on the pump then make pipes smaller, to increase the pressure and complete the cycle? Instead of buying, drilling and taking pieces apart. Tonight I currently have a small protein skimmer pump for 55 gallons, sitting vetrical in a 5 gallon bucket pumping air and water onto the roots of a tomatoe plant, if this works, then I will apply to the real deal in the tent on my next grow.

Thanks for the information and great advice

True science

7. thanks and sorry for not replying sooner.

venturis are such a valuable technology that I would actually take the time to learn it.
    you can build fittings for pennies, and yes I will be working on a diy soon I know I keep procrastinating.

I have made venturis to power diy underwater vacuums, diy atomizers, diy aerators, diy skimmers, diy washing machine, and a diy water treatment station, diy nutrient injectors, diy atomizer. By the way the atomizer works much like venturi aerator except air is passed through the fitting and needle draws in small amounts of water which atomizes on contact with the fast moving airstream. My atomizer is so efficient it looks like white smoke ribboning out, and the droplets are in the 25-50 micron range.

This technology is much easier once you tinker with it and understand how it works, and it does not really take that long. You just got to know how to shape the fitting and adjust the airflow and presto you get massive small bubble formation. Making prototypes can be fun if you like creating things as I do.

Here is some pictures of the venturis I have made. They are all documented including name and specific application, and I have kept these prototypes intact for awhile now.

Some are intake venturis and some are regular mainline venturis. They are used for everything from aeration and nutrient injection to debris filtration and water processing.

Stay in touch.

:wave:

Attached Files:

8. Nice to see a fellow engineer using skills to grow MJ more efficiently :wave:

Nice to see Bernoulli's Principle put to good use other than physics equations! lol

I get the basic idea for the most part, but I'll definitely look into it more.

Great work :smoke:

9. here it is:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo75ybT6_Hc]YouTube - DIY VENTURI[/ame]

10. you are a god...

11. I understand the model and find it viable but isn't this the same theory as the farm bucket.
    Using air, in that design, to move water up to the drip ring. And if the is the same principle
    then would it not be more efficient to use less volume ratio of air to water to move the same
    mixture. I mean why do we push a higher ratio of air to move a small amount of water up
    the tube? Wouldn't it reason that a much small water pump using this "venturi" principal
    move the same volume of aerated water with less volume and effort? Thus less energy?
    For that matter I wonder why we're not just pumping aerated water up a tube rather than
    a mixture but I digress.....heh.

This is a very interesting design if aeration is achieved but it seems the reason for the
    application being at commercial scale is obvious. The air stone makes it simple and
    manageable for the small scale and layperson(s) where in this "Venturi" principal seems
    to apply to a much larger scale of use. agriculture, aquaponics, (ick) ponds, hatcheries,
    fountains, maintenance etc..

Also:

What is the optimum ratio mixture? I do not think your air "needle" is sufficient to induct
    enough air to sustain a plant(s) however a 2 to 1 ratio seems much more viable. Replace
    the "needle" with a 1/8" ID metal tube would seem to be more plausible.

Can a small water pump be used to aerate an hydroponic design like a tote or bucket? Or
    would I need an unmanageable volume of water to cause a suction?

Does this method saturate water molecules and truly aerate or is this just a mixture? How
    much time or distance in tubes is needed to properly aerate? Or is this simply for thrust?

How does this address the aeration of the resivor? In my mind the airstone keeps poping up.
    Forgive the ignorance.

Thank you in advance.

12. This is my DIY Venturi aerator. It's made from the tip of a Just for Men Hair color applicator, a plastic test tube and aquarium tubing... and of course, a submersible pump. This one is a 12v pump for live bait holder.

I started using it when I was doing DWC in short/wide containers. Even with lots of air stones, the center of my root mass wasn't getting enough oxygen and I had borderline root rot issues... The Venturi aerator solved my problems...

-Loki

Attached Files:

13. Soon as I have some spare cash going to throw something together. Maybe even do a run with it to test it against airstones.

14. #35 alonewolf, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010
    Hey geneticengineer, your threads on venturi pumps have inspired me to do a little experimenting of my own.

I got a waterbed venturi (k so maybe i cheated a 'lil :D)
    Garden hose shutoff valve
    3/4" Garden hose to NPT thread adapter
    1.5" to 3/4" threaded bushing
    6" legnth of 1.5" clear tubing
    3/8" clear tube on the end
    2 hose clamps

It can hold 6oz of nutrients, and feed 'em in as fast as you want to open the valve.
    Also I find opening the valve half way or a little less results in a good bubble size.

[​IMG]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leqvm0Tgwbw[/ame]

15. thanks for the posts you guys. as far as air/water mixture go, a little air goes a long way. if you mix correctly you will end up with no bubbles- that is all of the oxygen is absorbed by the water. this hyper-oxygenates the water; bringing it to optimal dissolved oxygen levels.