DIY Undercurrent DWC System (pics)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Original Past, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Pictures???

2. Link to his current grow is in his sig.... I guess the purpose of this thread was to show the system design.
    :smoke:

3. Thank you, sir! I've done my homework. I have used Hempy buckets before, and bubble cloners, so I guess this isn't my FIRST hydro system. It's my first full on - complete system. The Cal Mag seemed to do the trick. I'm pretty sure it's this strain, because others I've grown in this system worked fine with just the base nutrients. It may also have to do with pH, if you look at the ranges that Ca. and Mg. are most available, it's just outside the upper limits of the recommended hydro pH level. Starting at 6.5... So it's good to let your pH wander a bit.

You know, I haven't measured the actual draw on the 240w Blackstars. I'll get one of the little devices to check it, after my current grow, and report back. I'm not sure what the equivelent HPS wattage would be. Without any fancy equipment, just by looking/performance, I'd compare the results of one 240w Blackstar to a 150w HPS. Perhaps a bit more powerful. This is completely non-scientific, just based on my experience, and using my subjective judgement.

4. Please see the Kalashnikova grow journal in my signature. 9 days from chop! (Perhaps 16 days, we'll see if I let them go another week.)

Thanks Biff, yes, you're right, this thread was mainly to show my design, and answer any questions that people may have about building a system like mine. But it's in action, as we speak!!

5. In the cold weather, I've added a fish tank heater to the reservoir. It's controlled by the water chiller, so keep the nutes in spec. Works like a champ!! Additionally, I've added a small space heater to the tent to keep it about 70-75 during this cold time. My tent is in the garage for now. Environment temperatures is definitely been my downfall on this grow. Hot summer, cold winter! I definitely need to get it in a heat controlled environment.

6. What region are you in where you can have a tent in your garage??? Must be mild...

7. This setup is almost exactly what I have been wanting to do when I get my grow up and running, was planning on doing RDWC a little bit differently but I am thinking instead of having 1 12-bucket system I am going to have 2 individual 6-bucket systems based on a similar design. I like how you've put it together although I have only gotten through the first 2 pages (planning on going back, I just had to comment) :D

I am looking on doing my setup perpetually, the only thing I may have to do a little differently is have a separate bank of buckets for my final flush where I can move my plants (lids and all) to those buckets on a separate setup to get them away from the nutrient solution the others are thriving on. Originally was planning on installing some kind of shut off valves in the plumbing prior to the last bank of buckets but I think just doing it separately may be easier altogether.

I want to do something like this but introduce 4 new & harvest 4 mature plants (maybe 3 plants rather than 4) every 3 weeks or so simultaneously once I get the full rotation in effect. Thanks for the detailed information though I think it's going to be helpful to me in my design & setup.

:D

8. [quote name='"Original Past"']

Nice looking system, man! What are you using to connect the PVC to the buckets? Bulkheads, uniseals?

I use GH FloraNova Grow/Bloom in the manner of the Lucas formula. This is a complete nutrient system, and works very well. The particular grow I'm on now (Greenhouse Seeds Kalashnikova) I had to add a tiny bit of CalMag in the past week. But I don't use additives, or any gimmicks. I just like to meet the needs of the plants, not spend money on useless extras. Because of my nutrient program, I only change nutes between grows. I don't add anything in excess, so I don't have to change them out. In theory, I could use the same nutes for 2-3 grows, but I take the opportunity to drain and clean the system between grows!

Thanks for checking it out. In my signature, you can follow my current grow. I'm 9 days from chop!

What kind of air pump(s) are you using?[/quote]

Um to connect to buckets I used 1.25" rubber grommets. Like the ones used on the manufactures system. grommets fits in the holes I made and makes a seal on both sides of the buckets.

Airpump is a Ecoplus commercial air 3 and my water pump is a Ecoplus 1054gph

9. Hey, just a thought, but to save cost, it might be a good idea to just have a few stand -alone bubble buckets to flush in. It would be easy to drain/fill these, and you'll save a lot of cost of building the recirculating system... Plus you don't have to distribute a lot of nutrients between all the buckets. You'll just need enough o2 in the water to keep them alive... Then you can stack them out of the way when not in use!

Personally, I don't flush, but if you like to, I think that would be a reasonable solution.

10. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I have no business running a tent in my garage. It's too hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter. I have some environmental controls in there, which are expensive to operate. If we get legalized in 2012, like I believe we will, I'll convert the whole garage into a small (think boutique) commercial op. Providing premium dankness to a few carefully selected distributors, and soliciting my knowledge base as a consultant would be like a dream come true. Until then, I just have a small operation, for myself, that's well below the limits for my state's medical use suggestions.

11. #71 Devoted1, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
    Edit: Sorry, I should have asked this question on your other thread. Anyways, I was on lucasformula dot com and read about growing in coco, that's when they suggested to use calmag for deficiencies. I just answered my own question, lol. It should not have that type of deficiency in hydro.

Hey OP! You mentioned not to use additives that have sugar in your system because it ruins it, what alternative are you using to counter that problem? I've read that epsom salt helps with the mg but what about the calcium?

12. The real reason to bypass the DI would be because your PH pens/probes are sensitive to de-ionized water. Using a pen in DI water, or storing your pen in DI water will mess up the probe over time. Call Milwaukee...they'll tell ya.

13. [-float valve ($15)]

I guess my only question is about the float valve.

Is your controller bucket hooked up to fresh water alowing it to add whatever is needed of FRESH water

OOORR is your controller hooked to a resivour filled with your disired nutrient solution also with a bubble stone in it?

14. It will allow fresh water to top off the reservoir!

15. Thank you! I didn't know this!

16. No problem. I had to learn the hard way. Luckily my local store was willing to replace the probe since it happened within a couple days of owning it. At first, I just figured it was defective. After sending it in to Milwaukee they alerted me of the De-ionized issue.

17. Your awesome, gotta go back to read it all.

18. #78 strany1, May 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
    Great thread. I'm looking to move to an Undercurrent system. I have a question though. Here is a rough drawing of my idea to use. I'm planning on using a Via Aqua Pump 525GPH Submersible pumps. From what I have seen most systems are not using a submersible pump. What would be them problem in doing this? Also any other thoughts or suggestions on this setup sure would be appreciated. I attached by initial design idea.

Attached Files:

• UDWC.jpg
      UDWC.jpg
      File size:
      69.7 KB
      Views:
  19. Very interesting...... Looking at your drawing your going to put your reservoir in a chest freezer? Controlled with an external controller I assume?

Pumps put out a bit of heat. Thats the biggest issue. Big system = big pump = more heat. OTOH, if your doing the freezer thing then its a moot point. If you have the means plumbing in a chiller will be less clunky than a freezer. Not sure about $ difference.

20. thanks, and yeah the $ dif is the big thing and my hydro store has those pumps on sale for $20. One other concern is that the pumps have a 1" outlet, so have to step up to the 2" line. I don't think this will be an issue, but we shall see. Yeah going to add a control to freezer for temp control.