DIY Trashcan Grow

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Kitsunè, Nov 4, 2012.

1. #1 Kitsunè, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
    OK I got this idea while walking around walmart and thought I would throw the idea out to the wolves and see how it was taken.

I saw some of the 55 Gallon Trashcans, and got to thinking that it would make a decent grow box.

- 55 Gallon Black Trashcan
    - 1 Can matte white Spray Paint
    - 1 Reflector hood lamp
    - 1 150 watt CFL
    - 2 Computer fans with decent CFM rating

I was planning on getting one of these cans and spraying the inside with the chrome paint and letting it sit for a couple days to air out chemicals. Hooking the light up against the lid of the trash can, with the computer fans for both an intake and an exhaust. Since this is a small growing area I would think a computer fan with 240 cfm would be sufficient to push through a small home made carbon filter.

Another thing I liked was it would be simple to make a hydro or aeroponics system in the bottom of the trashcan as well.

Also if you were to place 3-4 of these trashcans in your garage it wouldn't look too out of place to a passer by. If you hide the cords well enough, and put the exhaust in the back a normal person would just see trashcans.

Just my 2 cents thought it might be worth a share.

2. Could also throw a T5 light in this setup to get more powa!

3. where the fuck are you getting a computer fan with 240 cfm?

4. Wow hahah, didn't know those existed.

5. I found about three of them on Newegg as well =), You just might be able to get a T5 in a trashcan... That might be a good idea. Also thinking Aeroponics in the bottom

6. $450 is a lot of money lol, I think that I will just keep with my plan for now. I can get everything in my plan minus the Aeroponics system for around $150, maybe $180 with the Aeroponics system. Though I think I will change from the chrome paint to a matte white paint.

I am going to be making one of these as a clone station, but I can imagine having 4-5 of these things in a row in a garage. Still think would be kind of stealthy. Once I get the money to get another t5 for this I am going to throw the t5 in this to get it going good. Think that the 150 watt and the hood will be ok for the clone lab for awhile.

7. #8 Kitsunè, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
    Perhaps but I am going to be using mine as a clone lab, more like keeping them outta the way. Have a couple bubble cloners in there with the light on and should be perfect for what I want without spending a fortune.

I am fairly certain I can get a great crop using this actually especially if I fit it with Aeroponics. So I don't really see the value in spending all the money when I am gonna be making a simular for a much lower price. The main thought here is that you might be able to make something like this kinda stealthy, and cheap. Like I said I am gonna be using it as a clone lab so it's over kill for what I am looking for with it. Math might be math but I am good with my hands, have a lot of free time, and take pride in making things.