DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I am sure people use it, but is gives your budz a funky taste.

2. This is a great idea, one I saw years ago but stopped by for a refresher. Since I am a DIY sort of guy (by choice) I was in the process of making a dehumidifier for my wood working shop / 3 car garage. I took this idea and rather than use ONA for smell I took a small plastic strainer, laid a small sheet of plastic screen inside it and then added about a cup of ice cream rock salt. Placed it in the bucket with holes on the top 1/3 like the ONA bucket and placed a small external PC fan with a POTS that allows you to adjust the fan speed. As some may know, rock salt attracts water and is the core ingreadent for a basic DIY dehumidifyer. This design was perfect for increasing the amount of water that is collected by device. Every 2 days I dump out about an inch or more of water from the bucket and put it back to work. The RO in my garage was usually around 70 to 80% in the muggy southern summers but I found this will drop it down to 40 to 45% in just a day. I can then drop the fan speed down to about 1/3 speed and it maintains a nice comfortable 35 to 40% humidity. The salt lasts for multiple weeks unless it rains outside which is pretty normal due to the additional water, it is a garage after all. So if anyone needs a cheap DIY dehumidifier this is a great setup. Or you can go to craigs list and find a used one for 30 bucks or so and take a shot that it still works well. I went a bit further and did a spray paint water dip paint job and got it looking slick. I go out of my way to show it off when people are over helping me on projects or builds. I get strange looks when I tell them where to look for the info :) but hey, if this works for growers why can't I use it for my garage :) Thanks much for sharing this great idea. This has to be one of the longest running posts here LOL. Kudos and much appreciation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I thought that stuff wasn't good for grow rooms because it will leach into the bud?