DIY Lighting Help (QB288s or QB96s?)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Supreme918, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Planning lighting for a 4x4 grow tent.
    So I was looking at getting 4 QB288 v2 rspecs with either the HLG-480H-C2100A or EUD-600S280DT? Need opinions on this and then I stumbled upon the QB96s and they seem awesome, would 4 QB96s be good for a 4x4? What driver would be recommended for them?

2. NiemiLED.com has a sale on their RSPEC 260w grow light if you wanted to look into that, $300 and they have a $15 off coupon that still works

3. 4 96s would be best powered in pairs of 2 with a hlg-320h- 54a for each pair of two

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Uuuuhhhh....yeah. That would freakin' smoke a 4x4 lol!

@Supreme918 .....
    tenor (4).gif

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I just built a set up tonight with the Qb96s and I'm already impressed with their output and design.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Appreciate the information!

Gif has me rolling

How many did you use and how big of an area are they covering?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Got 2x hlg saber 100s and 2x qb96 v2s in my 5x5 just have to set up my intake fan to drop temps then adding two more qb96 v2. Already have the extra hlg320H-54A driver for the other 2.

• Like Like x 2
  8. +1 four qb96 elites is what I would do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I am running 2 for about a 3x3 area. I'm pushing them with a HLG-185H-54 each. Turned down for now and vegging 3 plants.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. The 260 only flowers a 3x3 though

11. From all my research I would say the new QB 288 Rspec V2s will cover slightly better area but the QB 96's seam a little more intense. I have a 20x36x63 tent and chose a single QB 288 Rspec as they say max coverage is a 2x3 on the site.

They had their board and heat sinks on special and you could get them and buy the driver separate for a great price.

Even 4 of the original 288v1 in 3000k in that tent would be great if you wanna save a few bucks.

12. Update: ended up picking up 2 QB96s along with a good deal on a HLG-320H-54A driver used (plan to get 2 more later on). Built a frame out of $6 aluminum. Still have to wire it all but was curious if you can use a dimmer with this driver? All the videos I could find had 2 other wires (blue/purple and another color) that this driver doesnt? Picked up a dimmer light switch to mess with it, will this work?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Remove those two round black rubber plugs on the front of the driver (where it says "io adj" and "v adj" and you will find a philips screw behind each one. Those are the built in dimmers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thank you very much! This is my first time doing leds.

15. I can't wait until you see those come on. Those are the most impressive boards to see come on. That driver can push them at about 175 watts each. That's more power then a qb288 board on a 5" square. They look like the surface of the sun.

Plan on getting a 6" clip on fan to blow across the heatsinks or a 120mm fan for each. It makes a giant difference in temps. Those board run pretty warm up above about 150 watts each.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rspec has more spread being a 4x larger board. The diodes are slightly more efficient on output. Like 5-8% or something close.

The qb96 has about double the power handling ability of the qb288 rpec if you want to add a fan to the heatsink. It also has a slightly better light spectrum especially for start to finish IMO. It's more blue leaning. It has more blue and more green then the rpec which is more of a bloom board. It can be used for veg but looking at the light spectrum the subtle differences between the two would cause the rspec to stretch more IMO in veg.

The K rating for the qb96 overall is 3500k. I think the qb288 is more like 3k overall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. #17 wwonka, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Listen to Tbone he is the Man!!
    I run my 2 QB96's at 100-120 for veg but I bought 2 computer fans 120x120 and plan to run them at 200w each during flower in my 2x4. That is on the 320-54 driver. The fans keep the lights nice and cool. and were like 12 bucks on amazon.

@Tboneshuffle have you used these reflectors i see for the qb96's???
    QB96 ELITE V2 ENGINE REFLECTOR

• Like Like x 1
  18. Have you tried the reflectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. Which side of the thermal pad goes on the heat sink? Different colors on each side

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Attached Files:

20. Hey I’m running 2 QB96s on a 320 driver , question about the Voltage meter ... what shows on the meter is that being split between the 2 lights? Or is what it shows is for 1 light? And what readings should I have it at for veg?
    Where it says power should it read around 100-120w or would it be 200-240 . Sorry for the questions I’m really new to this

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG