DIY LED Need quick help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jay719, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Normally I would take the time to do my own research but I am in a time crunch to possibly get a very nice deal.

I have the opportunity to get led drivers for next to nothing, or possibly free but need to get them today. I want to build some diy qb setups for both veg and flower for a 4 x 4 or possibly a 4 x 8 area. Can anyone tell me if these drivers would be a good choice to pair with qb for a light roughly equal to a 1k hps/mh setup?

20190720_100841.jpg 20190720_101307.jpg 20190720_101252.jpg 20190720_101324.jpg 20190720_101313.jpg

2. Some of those would work with the Samsung strips maybe the f or h series
    But they are kinda shy on power.
    Except for the 36 volt driver it would power some qb 132s nicely .
    If cheap or free I would grab them
    But I like building/playing with my lights

3. Thank you for the information.

4. Idk about the rest but the hlg driver is good for LEDs.

5. If you can get 2 of those HLG320H-36A you could easily replace a 1000W and have pretty crazy light over a 4x4. That's basically what I have with my panel sets.

Get 4, you got your 4x8 covered.

The 800 piece panels are what I am using, each pair running off a HLG600H-48AB driver. Crazy light. Those you see there are at 25% draw on their drivers.
    20190719_083323_HDR.jpg

6. Thank you very much for your reply. I can get two of the HLG320H-36A, but that is all I could find so far. I didnt get them in the pictures, but I also have two HLG-240H-36B. Would those be worth getting?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah those would be good. We'd have to get in some better LED advice as far as hooking them up and to which boards they would best be suited, but those are popular drivers. Not sure who the gurus in here are......

You will need a potentiometer for the one set to dim it, the 240-36B's The 320-36A's can be dimmed with a screwdriver

(I think I got that right with the A vs B)

I have AB drivers so I can do either.

If you can get a good price, scoop them up. And if you aren't afraid of Alibaba, you can get good priced boards from Shenzhen Meijiu or a couple other good sources.

If you need help navigating it, I can help.

8. If you can get them to prove they work, that's even better. Wouldn't want to order panels or board or whatever only to find out the drivers are bunk.

9. Thank you again for the help.There are probably a couple of hundred drivers in various boxes so I am still going through them to see what I can find.

I dont have have a multimeter with me to test the output. However all of these are new in the box so hopefully they will work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Damn.....nice score! Haha!! They are pretty tough. Near impossible to fry them unless you're a complete idiot. They have overload/short protections and such, sealed well. You should be good I think.

Keep posting what you find, someone will come along knowing more about the 132 or 288 boards etc.

11. I also found some hvg-150-30a if those might be useful for anything.

12. I am using one of these in my 2x4 tent running 2 QB96's.
    You have so many options.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I believe the best for the boards most of us use, HLG is what you want at the beginning.
    Don't quote me on that but it seems like that was the most commonly used in DIY guides I've seen.

14. QB96's.......*slaps own forehead

Forgot about those. Man, I want to try those!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I ended up getting the two 240-36b and the two 320-36a for free. I appreciate everyones help. These were available where I work, but couldnt be on my phone all day doing research, and they likely would have been gone before my next scheduled shift. I just missed getting a complete cob fixture that had a 600w draw and didnt want to miss these if they would help me build a nice light for less money.

Now on to deciding what type.of boards to run and where to find them. I looked around for the qb 132 boards, but they seem to be unavailable most places I checked while at work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. There's these....hadn't seen these before.

QB144 V2 Quantum Boards

Each HLG320-36 ~should~ run a 4 pack of these. Pretty good price. 36V

You can look at QB96's too like wwonka suggested, but I am confused a little myself because I thought the QB96's required higher voltage than 36V.

Hopefully someone chimes in and can give you the best recommendation. I get fumbled up on designing setups when they start series/paralleling things to make certain drivers run a bunch of lights.

You definitely have options though now. Good luck I will follow this

17. There are older 96 strips that are 24 volt.
    He must be talking about them

18. Would these work on the 240’s?

QB144 V2 Quantum Boards

I have been reading on different combos, but there is quite a bit to learn. If I am gathering things correctly, the qb144 boards are 75w, and the 240 driver should be able to push three at full power, 225w, or 4 of the boards, but at 80%. Would that be correct, or am I still missing something?

19. Yes you could run them on the 240's . I think there is even a guide or list of drivers on that page that has the 240's listed for compatibility with those.

The 320's would give you more play allowing you to run it a lower draw vs the 240's. Either should work though. You pretty much have the jist of it