DIY LED LIGHTING FOR 2X2 AREA.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Personalusegrow, Dec 8, 2018.

1. #1 Personalusegrow, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    DIY 18" square Lighting for 2x2 tent.

This should hopefully help someone in the future who may be unsure as to how to actually DIY your own professional LED grow light from scratch, who also doesn't have anything to start with like tools... if anything atleast its another online reference to view.. hope you enjoy following along!

After several weeks of searching, buying and waiting for the mail to come in, Ive finally got the following parts:

"All prices in CAD"

$87.73 = 4x Samsung 24v, 3500k, 50w, lm561C S6, 90 CRI 96 diode, 30mm x 500mm led strips.
    [​IMG]

$95.36 = 1x Mean Well HLG-240H-24A Switching LED Power Supply, Single Output, 24V, 0-10A, 240W, "Parallel only"
    [​IMG]

$22.99 = 1x Double-Sided Thermal Adhesive Tape 30mm x 25'
    [​IMG]

$12.99 = 10x 5 Way Terminal Block/ Wire Connectors
    [​IMG]

16 guage stranded 300v 90f rated wire 25ft
    1x Red
    1x Black
    [​IMG]

$12.99 = Knacro dc 6.5-100v 20A voltage Amperage power energy meter
    [​IMG]

DIY Led grow light hanging kit;
    $3.99 = 2 pcs 36" 30 lb test stainless steel wire leaders (found in your local fishing dept)

$10.00 = 2pcs 1/16" x1- 1/2" - 3 ft peices of flat Aluminum for mount leds on.

$10.00 = 2pcs 1/16"x 3/4" - 3ft Aluminum Angle for the frame

$12.99 = 1pcs 12" Hacksaw (for cutting aluminum)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  2. #2 Personalusegrow, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Personalusegrow, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Parallel wiring diagram:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Todays project; 20190108_111358.jpg 20190108_111421.jpg 20190108_111458.jpg 20190108_121139.jpg 20190108_120704.jpg 20190108_124320.jpg 20190108_131634.jpg 20190108_135245.jpg

Sent from my screen to yours!

• Like Like x 2
  5. I'm just curious.. A QB135 takes about 15 minutes to assemble and doesn't cost as much. Driven hard you can run it at 150 watts. It's what I use in my small 2x2, works great. Any reason you went with this set-up?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I simply wanted to overbuild/over power this setup, just incase I get a 4x4 tent or want to upgrade the boards later on.

• Like Like x 3
  7. When you going to fire it up see how much light puts out?

sent sitting in my garden

8. Soon as I get it all wired up and installed correctly :) This will be used in the next grow comming up. 1st grow is almost done. Should run between 200 -220w full bust. Im glad the driver has a dimmer built in.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Yes I would definitely want a dimmer cuz sometimes you don't need to use all that power but other times you want all that power lus more you know so it's good to have the choice

10. Leds mounted 20190108_154313.jpg 20190108_160345.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. #11 Personalusegrow, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Well since i dont know how to delete photos and someone just pointed out that I mistakenly over engineered the wireing. Its getting ripped out and re wired. So ignore these wired up photos. It aint correct.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Only few things left to do and we will get this thing fired up. Got that monitor rigged so I can see it from above or under the frame while in use. 20190108_212802.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. #13 Personalusegrow, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Now this is NOT correctly wired for parallel setup. Keep reading. 20190108_231408.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Checking placment of fixture... 20190108_234313.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Your fixture is looking good.. Just a suggestion. I mount my exhaust blower/fan outside my tent. I gained a lot of headroom because I was able to mount my carbon filter to a corner vertically using zip ties. Even if you only gain 4"-6" it will help running 200+watts in that small space. My blower/fan is mounted to a piece of plywood on the outside top of my tent. I'm curious about heat. I can run my little QB135 6" from the inside top of the tent. But, it runs a ribbed heatsink. Can't wait to see that thing lite.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Unfortunately I must keep everything contained inside the tent, its 2x2x6.5ft right now the new fixture is about 5ft from the floor. I live in an apartment so the tent lives in my bedroom and I always have the window open year round so the temp is pretty stable. Im still tryin to figure out where outside or inside I can mount the driver and keep it safe. I really just feel like hanging the driver from the roof with the carbon filter and exhaust fan. Since that space is mostly unusable anyways.

Any ideas on how to move the carbon filter and fan inside the tent so I gain some inches. Right now the filter + fan are on the left side of tent. Id love to move it to the back or have fan on the back wall and filter on the left. Its problematic since the filter is 20" in size in a 24" tent lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  18. If you could figure out how to get them on the outside so it still works and functions properly it'll save you a lot of hassle with heat. When the summer time comes.
    Maybe you could pipe your vents to your window and still make it look stealth that's what I did in my house I have my own house though but I can do what I want but I tapped into my radon vent pipes the go out my roof and I piped into those to push all of the smell out of my house and put it outside if I want to and it's like 30 some feet in the air so it naturally filters away.
    But maybe you could figure out a way to connect your carbon filter in your intake air supply so that everything is outside your tent and still looks good that whether you have all that space inside your tent for height and also relieved all that heat it's going to be coming off in the driver the fan motors and such like that in a small space like that you must have a problem with heat?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I totally understand what your saying. But I have the exhaust exiting the tent into my room with the open window. So far during this warm winter heat has not been an issue and that with the fan on the lowest possable setting with a fan controller.

I may have heat issues this summer, wont know till it happens. Only thing I could do is hide the fan and filter inside a cubard next to the tent maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Well you got that great big tent that's got to be like an elephant in your room right LOL.
    so having your filter hidden and your fan really. So I don't see what would make any difference that the tent is the elephant so you really don't matter what you got off runing off that tent. n that if anybody come up in there you can't hide the tent so hiding the the fan in the filter or anything else outside of it really don't matter right you don't have it in a closet it's just in your room is that correct that's how I understood you to say it anyways... but if you do have the tent hidden then I understand what you're saying.