DIY LED light; which color?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by just_some_other_stoner, Aug 29, 2016.

1. So i'm going to build a +-200w 4 COB LED light for a DWC fridge stealth grow. I've been dying to order my LED's, but i was a bit puzzled at what color temps to get... My first inspiration was the Battlestar Ganjactica which used 6 CXA 3070's at 3000k and 2 at 5000k. Yet I've also seen someone who built a DIY LED using only 3500k COB's...

So, I'm gonna run like 4. Adding just 1 different temp LED to the setup won't spread the light evenly, yet Battlestar only used those 5000k LED's for it's bloom mode. I honestly don't need veg, teen and or flower modes. Just 200w from the beginning to the end like a dual spec HPS.

2. 4 Cree cxb3590's 3500K 36v COB's will do the trick for you.

• Like Like x 4
  3. How much watts is one of those?

4. 4 36v cxb3590's running at 1400ma they would be a 200w fixture.

• Like Like x 2
  5. And I'd reckon a Mean well HLG-185H-C1400B would be able to power all 4?

6. My DIY Cree cxb3590 36v fixture is running 2 COBs right now. I was fixin' to add 2 more to it and I am running a Meanwell HLG-185H-1400B myself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well it is a 200w driver so i guess it makes sense. I'll get that one and 4 CXB3590's then :) Or would 4 50w drivers be better?

• Like Like x 1
  8. +1 vote for all 3500k

If you're interested in dimming an HLG, the B version will require you to add a potentiometer+resistor and allow you to dim about 10-100%, if you go with the A version you can dim it from 50-100% with the built in potentiometer.
    I'm no expert, but I think going with a slightly higher amperage driver and dimming it a little gets you slightly better efficiency, and allows a little more flexibility.. Maybe someone smarter then me can confirm :p
    (I personally would prefer to have them all on the same driver, with a single dimmer)

• Like Like x 4
  9. How much would one need the dimming function? I've never used dimmable ballasts during my HPS grows. But if you really recommend it i'll consider it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I personally just like having the flexibility to adjust the lights..something to play with lol. Not totally necessary but helpful to fine tune heat or available distance to the lights. Plenty of ppl get along fine without a dimmer..just letting ya know the difference between the 2 available versions of the hlg's :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Well i like to keep things simple, if the heat is too much i'll mess with the ventilation :) Since you run them, how hot DO these get? like with their own fanned CPU cooler? I'll be running 4 in a stripped out refrigerator, so that's already a very well insulated grow box. If the coolers are efficient enough to disperse all of the LED's heat, then i assume the grow light won't raise the inside temps too much...

I'll be running a slightly overpowered tube fan that sucks the air out on top trough an AC filter and new air in through a large filtered passive intake at the bottom, so there will be constant circulation.

12. You should have fans sucking air in and out too keep the temps in control

13. Havent you had success with ~5600k lamps? What are your thoughts on spectrum? Im almost tempted to lean more towards ~5000k myself.

14. Also, the dimming versions can be run over 100%. I have the A version rated at 1.4a but puts out 1.55a at full power.

15. No need for resistors for the potentiometers.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. I just made it but haven't did a run with it yet

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Yeah, i was planning on going with a powerful outtake fan and simply use a passive intake since it's just a fridge grow. But those decent inline duct fans have gone up in price pretty badly here, so i might just go with a weaker outtake fan and an intake fan too. Just want to avoid creating too much positive pressure to prevent smell from escaping.

I'll do some digging around on the best in-outtake fan combo's for such a small space.

18. #18 pyrogirl, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    I'm using a Mars Hydro Full Spectrum light, but it sounds like you have bigger grow than I do. It's working a lot better than CFLs were, and seems to work as well as other LEDs. Of course, it's up to you and what you like and feel comfortable with. In case this info helps, I bought it right from Mars Hydro through topledstorefactory on eBay at a good price. topledfactorystore on eBay. They have great customer service and will send you replacements of individual parts/bulbs if you have something go out, but I have yet to have that happen. I set a timer on the light. So, I don't really mess with any settings other than changing the amount of time the light is on depending if I am in veg of flower. I purchased the timer separately from Wal-Mart.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I think one of those would be perfect for a grow my size, but i just hate the violet light those give off. The COB's I'll be using are white which is better on the eyes. And I've heard that Mars is Chinese, these LED's are US made and there is a very popular YT video showing the difference in quality between US and Chinese ones and it's just mind blowing... This doesn't refer to the Mars light tho, it's not a COB light but I'm just saying.

For all i know, 200w worth of COB's is way overkill for my fridge grow. But then I'll just build a bigger box. And I'm also just looking forward to building the light :)

20. Sorry but Cree is also china made. Cree is developed in NC but mass produce in china. You can dim the light because one day you might want to grow in a bigger area.

• Like Like x 1