DIY Led Grow Lights

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by fuzzipeg, Oct 2, 2014.

1. #1 fuzzipeg, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    I've been looking through these forums quite a bit and haven't really found the specific information I'm looking for.

Is there a post or webpage that lists the best loose LED lights to buy for a grow light and why?  And lumens/wattage per LED?  How many would be adequate for four indica-dominant plants in a cabinet?  What would make an LED light full-spectrum, using equal parts green/red/blue LEDs? 

I'm very interested in making my own LED grow light since they can be expensive, and I'm having a hard time finding much info on the specifics.  Many of the grow books I have are too outdated to include them.  

I'd prefer to make one that will be useful during all stages of life, as I'm not technical enough to make a settings switch.

A kind of chart would be absolutely wonderful, and a grocery list of supplies even better!

2. Best of all, any item specifications such as brand or price or place to buy them for LEDs that are best used in grow lights.

3. Thanks!  

After reading into them more, I've found if you want to find individual LED lights you need to search for diodes not bulbs.  It's all a new learning experience for me as I'm not very familiar with electrical and technical terms when it comes to electronics.  Meanwhile, I'm overly familiar with the biology of it, but am having a hard time finding something that combines  the biology and the technology into a good and thorough explanation.

So far, the best my research has come up with is this page, DopeySmurf really hits the nail on the head on what specifics I want to learn.  I only wish there was a larger discussion and they went into more detail:
    http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/302646

4. Have you looked in cob lights they have been the new thing and are very good. As far as building mostly you would figure out the numbers of diodes you would use, along with the types. Everyones build is different and they all use different amount of nm diodes. So really there is no easy way to tell you on what to pick. I hope this makes some since its really hard to explain it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've seen a few diy led tutorials here and there...It's hard to remember the names though. There's one at ICmag by a guy called buenotime ..it's titled    "   bueno grows w/diy cob leds   "      another thread at thc farmer called "  DIY led with cobs small medium or large grows "

from everything I've read online, a guy called " knna " is the authority on growing with diy leds. I remember years ago he recommended a ratio of 9red:2blue:1white  .. I dunno if things have changed lately though. There's currently alot of interest in white leds, and alot of manufacturers are adding UV and other new colors to the mix.

maybe you're looking for something like a complete idiots guide to make led light for planted aquarium  ?
      Those aquarium guys have some great tutorials on diy led lights...just change the color ratios to suit growing.

I would recommend the diy cob lights...more bang for the buck and alot less work. I think buenotime pulled over a gram a watt with his the first run. (A gram a watt is really good for any type of lighting) ...although if you don't have all the tools and supplies it might be cheaper to buy a prefabbed led panel....or prebuild cob panel thingie.

6. bongsauce are you on the Icmag, the names sounds familar?

7. #9 Bongsauce, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    no I'm not...I used to be , but under a different name. ppl at GC are way cooler :D    :gc_rocks:

8. i know what you mean, seems you always got the douches in a bunch of these sites though lol

9. I looked into building my own led lighting but the savings just weren't there. Why spend all the time and hassle to build one when the cost is close to the same. Unless you really know what you are doing and think you can create a better spectrum then current generation led is using. Cob is the New wave and best thing for led grows imo, larger watt diodes tuned down to increase life is also important. Some companies think that white led is the future of growing and others think it's a step back. Hard to say without people doing more UN objective research. The mars 2 led is actually cheaper than building one by the time you get all the parts. Apollo led the same thing, so unless you are hardcore diy or an engineer probably best to leave it to the led producers for now.

10. I have been working on the same sort of project and this is what I have found.

- led tutorials and supplies : www.ecolocityled.com
    - Heat sinks : www.heatsinksusa.com
    - Leds for horticulture : http://www.mouser.com/new/cree/cree-horticultural-lighting/
    - Great site that lets you pick your spectrum, and their website tools are helpful : http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-led-strip/

Unfortunately the expense of the supplies is about the same as purchasing an already completed light, but diy gives you the ability to purchase quality components.  
    I went for it and purchased the cree leds but went with a 3:1 ratio of red/blue along with a few 2700k white leds. I am planning on running the blues and reds on separate dimmers so i can control the spectrum as i please. Mine is for a micro cabinet so power is down around 110 watts with 40 leds. All said and done my expenses will be around $200. 

11. That's awesome information and there are certainly advantages to diy led. Price point is the killer you can get 175 real draw watt cob led for $200. You can get 200w 3w diode for $200, mars 2 offers 300w for $215. I wish they would bring down price of parts for consumers so we could get more hands working on how to better use spectrums for plants.

12. It'd be best if they were cool light at one stage and amber light at the other

13. You guys need to check out a guy named Growmau5 on YouTube. He will help you on this journey :)
    Lighting boot camp vids etc..

I built a 4 Cob, cxb 3590 , 1.4 amp , 216 watt actual draw , light . With 4K Cobs. Passively cooled pin heatsinks etc.
    It ...is...killer !!

I am blown away right now with what 216 watts of photon blasting eff is doing in my space.
    I will never go back to blurple LEDs again.

I ordered all my parts from Pacific Light Concepts.
    4 plants in a 4x3 space.
    5 gallon pots. 6 weeks of veg from seed. Day 14 of flower. Organic homemade soil. Water only.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Happy Farms

• Like Like x 1