DIY Intake Filter

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Village Ant, Apr 29, 2019.

1. #1 Village Ant, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Hey folks, hope everyone's grows are going well! I decided to post my DIY intake filter because I think it's awesome, and it can save you a lot of money. While I was in the market for an intake filter, I realized how outrageously expensive they all are. So, I decided to make my own for $28. Please note that this is intended for an active intake.

First, I bought an 8" x 8" to 6" square to round register from Home Depot for $12:
    Master Flow 8 in. x 8 in. to 6 in. Ceiling Register Box-CRB8X8X6 - The Home Depot
    master-flow-register-boxes-crb8x8x6-64_1000.jpg
    Then I bought an 8" x 8" furnace filter and put it inside the register, $16:
    8x8x1 Premium MERV 8 Pleated Air Filter | Air Filters Delivered
    groupfinalmerv8.png

I didn't do this part, but you can add a return grill from Amazon for $10 to make it pretty:

81e5Ja3Yu7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And there it is. With the grill it would be $38 total. That is way cheaper than any ready made intake filter. You may find one like the can filter for that price, but the shipping will make it around $70 minimum. Plus, the can filter intake filter is only MERV 4 filtration. With this DIY filter you can choose your own degree of filtration. If you want to make it even cheaper, instead of buying the 8" x 8" HEPA filter for $15, you can buy any size cheaper furnace filter and just cut it to size.

Hope this helps someone!!!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Thanks. This answers a lot of questions and will be utilized for sure.