DIY indoor AC unit from a window unit

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Temporarilycoldturkey, Aug 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. #1 Temporarilycoldturkey, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    So I came across this video - -

and am considering doing in the room my grow area is in. Has anyone ever tried this. It would be a lot more affordable than a portable unit and window units lost longer, in my experience anyways. My question is if I would need to have the fans running to and from the unit on all the time cuz it really would be nice if they just kicked on with the AC unit.

Love to drop $80-100 and do a little work instead of $300-$400.

Here's another video of a guys attempt which wasn't as successful but I think he was on the right track. If people are interested -

2. #2 Mad scientist, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Hi Temp.
    The first video is the mostly right way to do it, didn't watch the second vid.
    You def need to get rid of the heat from the backside of the unit.
    The ac's internal fan that blows through the rear rad takes its air supply from the open slats on the top and sides of the metal ac case. They have to be separated. It would be better if a custom boot were made to fit over just the backside of the ac and then ducted thru a 8-10" pipe to the outside of the grow space.
    Another custom boot/ baffle has to be made to direct the incoming cool air ducted from outside the grow space to supply the ac unit through the previously mentioned slats.
    If you do it this way and completely seal all leaks you can use the ac units internal fan to do all the air movement.

Look up "ac box" video on youtube from xoch420.
    Everything is right aside from the two fans he mentions and the use of only 6" intake/ exhaust holes for the piping, 8-10" would be much better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just watched the second vid.
    Please don't do it that way. Waste of time.

• Like Like x 1