DIY Halogen Bulb Vaporizer

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Xilityxlauta, Apr 3, 2016.

1. #1 Xilityxlauta, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Hi all,

A few years ago me and my friend got interested about vaporizing. But all decent vaporizers cost over 200€, so we decited to build one of our own. And we didn't want to build basic lightbulb vapo, because those things are just... awful.
    We came across Venus Vaporizer, which desing we liked. We also liked Apple TV's desing, so we decited to combine those two. :D Here's the final product:
    [​IMG]

But first, back to the drawing board. Here's our vaporizer's final sketch:
    [​IMG]

Here's our parts list:
    Halogen bulb - local store
    G4/G5.3-bulb socket - local store
    Base + adapter - Head&Nature
    Mouthpiece - Head&Nature
    Hose - eBay
    Batteries - eBay
    Potentiometer (dimmer) - eBay
    Empty jar - closet

Then we started to build it. The wood is oak. Jar fits perfectly to circle shaped hole and it's (almost) air-tight.
    [​IMG]

So, how it work? Room air comes from underneath to the adaptor, where the halogen is. It heats up the air and herbs above it creating vapor. The vapor goes to the jar, which cools it down before breathed in through the hose.
    [​IMG]

We decited to add few batteries to make it also portable. Dimmer (potentiometer) changes brightness of the halogen. We didn't add LED in the end, but it would have lightened the hose from inside.
    [​IMG]

Batteries and everything else were placed in a locker underneath.
    [​IMG]

Halogen blub inside the adapter. Air goes from jar to three little holes, which leads to hose.
    [​IMG]

Potentiometer and hose in the front, power switch and charging port in the back. Hose goes into the vapo with wooden apater, which we also built.
    [​IMG]

One thing we didn't think of was the brightness of the bulb. It's pretty damn bright. We have placed a piece of tinfoil around the base to block the light temporarily. In Venus halogen is inside the vapo itself, so it's not a problem. It was just easier to build it this way. Maybe darkening the jar or adaptor would fix this problem.
    [​IMG]

If you want to smoke healthier and have no money for Volcano, we definitely recommend to build one of your own.

Get creative!

• Like Like x 1
  2. thanks for good tutorial.
    can you show me how did you drill circle shaped hole on wood ??

3. Cool idea. Where did you find the glass parts? I've done some searching, but without knowing what to call them, I'm getting nowhere fast.

4. If you mean the hole for the adapter: First, measure the thickest part of the adapter (part what you want inside the wood). Then drill with that size drill bit almost as deep as you want the adapter to go inside the wood. Next measure the thinnest part of the adapter. (the bottom part) and continue drilling the same hole with a smaller bit. If you get the depth just right, the adapter will sit in the hole straight and snugly.
    If you mean the circular groove for the jar: It's done with a lathe. Since most people dont have a lathe, you can just glue the cap from the jar on top. That way you will get an airtight fit. You will just have to drill the same holes on the cap that you drilled on the wood. (The hole for the adapter and the few small holes for the air intake.)

5. #7 Xilityxlauta, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    I think this is what we used:
    Base + adapter - Head&Nature
    Mouthpiece - Head&Nature
    Bowls
    The jar can basically be any glass jar you manage to find.

6. Salutations Xilityxlauta,

This is a brief comment only meant to say that your setup would benefit from the addition of an airflow-activated gate right between the cannabic bowl and its heat source. For example:

[​IMG]
    This is what i use routinely and it works by juxtaposing radically different materials together to form a thermal "bottle".

In my own case i got SiC foam walls but you could try similar glass "filters" i suppose, combined to a hot item in the center. Though, given your present topology i'd might possibly want use only 1 SiC Puck in between cannabis and heat, topped by a flat screen under the load, behaving like a shield which distributes heat instead of allowing hot spotting; ritual may require adjustment too in order to limit baking...

Ultimately it should be a great upgrade to insert the lamp inside a thermostatic closed-loop, or even better: use light as its inverse correction signal to implement regulation based on how bright it shines!

:popcorn:

Etc., etc.

Good day, have fun!! :D