DIY - Grow cabinet (Progress updated every day)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Artofwar87, May 8, 2011.

1. I decided to go out to a resell store and bought a 5' tall x 2' deep x 2' width entertainment shelf system for 15$. Currently running 4 cfl's and a 80mm/35 cfm pc fan in the back with a light trap.

When should i start thinking about transplanting them? Those little containers are 1/4 filled with rock at the bottom for drainage so theres not to much area for the roots to much longer.

Also the stems in the pictures if u look are brownish fuzzy looking... What does that mean?

(Any suggestions/help appreciated)
    (Will update once every 1 or 2 days)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I don't think they are any where near ready to transplant....they need a few more sets of leaves on em first. Transplanting now would probably be too much shock right now.
    Can't see the brownish stuff you are talking about. If they are growing steadily and not wilting, etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. are those 2 2700k cfl for veg? if so those will be more useful in the flowering cycle, get aholda some 6500k daylight spectrum bulbs, there the ideal spectrum for veg growth :)

4. by 2 i meant 4

5. 2700k bulbs. I am going out tom to buy some 6500k bulbs. How many do you think I would need for 5 plants in a 2wide x 2 length ? If im right i'd need like 10 24w 6500k bulbs??? I could buy a florescent light system for what it cost me to buy them light bulbs.

6. see thats the logic im struggling with man, i have about 10 26w 6500's but yeah really its like 2 for 5 bucks on the 26w 6500k's from my exp, lightsystems might have a higher output though, even a t12 tube probably would.

7. #7 Sticky b, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    A t5 high out put would be more efficient and use less space
    Happy growing

8. Only issue I had with t5 bulbs is like i'd have to have 10 rows of them since there only pushing like 20w/piece and I couldn't find the color intensity on them if they were 6500 or what.

Anyways heres how my project is progressing.

Two 5 1/2" fans for exhaust at top. 4"x3" Intake by window. 8 23w 6500k cfl's.

Area is 2'x2'x5'.
    Anyone know where I could find a fan to mount inside that so I can take out them 2 little pc fans. Newegg.com - Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More! etc..

Front Left:
    [​IMG]

Front Right:
    [​IMG]

Back Right:
    [​IMG]

Middle:
    [​IMG]

Back Left:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. peat pots! NOOOO

haha just playing man. But I did use peat pots on my first plant. Thing got stunted like a mofo. I transplanted her pot and everything. It was stunted for like 2 weeks and then took off again. The next plant I took out of the jiffy pots and it took off immediatly. I prefer to transplant out of them

10. There Jiffy Pots until they get moved for the last time. Jiffy pots = insanely easy transplant. Of course you flush it or atleast get all the dirt wet which will in return make the cup really easy to tear the sides off around it and simply set it. Thats if your soil is able to have a compacted state when you do it imo.

11. [​IMG]

__________Front Left__________
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

__________Middle__________
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

__________Front Right__________
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

__________Back Left__________
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

__________Back Right__________
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. can i see your fan system? im making my own grow cabinet, a little smaller though, i just am not sure how to do the air flow/filter.

13. Sorry i've been away for so long. Im going to be posting some uber ass pictures here in a little bit.

AND PROOF WHY MG = SUX

14. the t5 high output r about 55w each mate ya could have a cupple strips all along the sides way better than 26w cfl imho good luck ho comming on nice bro!

15. #16 Artofwar87, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    Well I bought this the other day and im working up to turning my closest into a grow room so i can handle it.

1) 400w HPS SunLight System Inc (With bulb/ballast/hood/cables)
    2) 400w MH Sunlight System Inc (Without Bulb)(With Ballast/hood/cables)

16. For 4 plants I use 16 cfl's which are 23w, 1700 lums and 6500 K each and work great. My current grow is about 13"+ in 5 weeks.

17. Ack if ur making that large of CFL unit to hold 16 cfl's why not just buy a HID Light system.

Ill sell u both of these 400w complete systems HPS + MH real cheap lol ;)

18. Are these just as good as your 23watt 6500k??

19. They are as good as my cfl/s but I can build my own fixture for around $20 per 8 light fixture. The bulbs cost 2.50 each and the power consumption is way less. The heat build up is way less which means it cost less to disipate this heat buildup.
    My plans seem to be doing very good using this system.