DIY Grow Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hemptation420, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Hemptation:  Can you post some pics of your DIY cooltube, showing the details of how you did the tube, the ducting, the reflector, etc.?

Thanks!

2. #162 hemptation420, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014

The Current Cooltube / HPS im using was purchased from the local hydro store for around 300$, its 400 watt. and i run the ducting with two PC fans. works amazing. 

But it wouldnt be hard to make your own at all. Buy the light set up and bulb , A pyrex tube (size based on bulb size), depending on the light you bought you have to be able to attach it to the tube,  flex ducting & clamps, Two fans, Aluminium and some rivits. 

mount the light inside the tube, next measure the length of the tube and i would make an aluminum hood slightly longer and probably 5 or 6 inches taller then the tube so that you can cut holes the size of the ducting in each side and attach it to the light by running the ducting threw the holes then using the clamps to hold the ducting on each end of the tube ( dont forget to run the wiring for the light out of a little hole in the ducting and tape it back up well with aluminum tape.  the metal wont heat up as its not touching glass and you have a single movable unit.

*edit* forgot the fans..you would just add two holes to the set up that draw and vent from outside of the box. Set the side that has the wiring to the intake fan (blows air in) and the second fan to draw air away from the wired end of the tube (blows air out). if your worried about smell you can tape the ducting to the glass with aluminum tape but the clamps should be more then fine. 

3. Thanks Hemptation!   Another question: 

Did you do anything to seal the doors against light leaks?  Did you use furring strips around the edges of the doors?

And the most important question:  If you were going to start over from scratch, would you change anything about your current design?

4. #164 hemptation420, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014

No problems at all...I had alot of help from this forum i have no issues giving back.

To seal the doors i used weather striping and cupboard latches to pull it closed...worked awesome for light and air,  this also touches on your second question...i wish i had recessed the doors into the frame to make it more smooth (just an more pleasing look then doors on the front)

Only thing i might change would be splitting the Veg room into two smaller rooms ontop of each other.. I hand out allot of clones to buddies so i dont have enough room sometimes for as many as i need going at once... currently i dont run a mother so splitting this room could also provide room for that. 

Other then that, Dont mess around with CFL for the same cost in power you can run a HPS and u get 50x better product (density, quality, amount)

5. Thanks again.  It's very good of you to share your experiences with us.

One quick point ... wouldn't it be better to split the veg room into two spaces, instead of the flower room?

6.  completely my bad. i did indeed mean the veg room. I was slightly distracted while typing last night. Thank you for bringing that to light i will correct it.

7. I'm a newbie to this kinda stuff. Want to start a stealth medical grow. Wanted to know if there was a book that was Step by Step and or plans for the cabinet in this feed or similar that I can build. Any help is appreciated. TY
    Please respond.

I doubt there is a book specifically telling you how to build and operate a stealth grow box, But this forum has a ton of amazing information! Also there are a few grow DVDs put out that help you on the plant side like jjorge cervantes and such.

As for this box there are plans posted in the thread and a pretty detailed diagram of how it was build, But you could also just reperpose a dresser or something.

9. I'm growing indoors and tho is my box I want my plant to be able to fit in here but without it being too crowded. Should I repot then to a larger pot or is this size all right?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1423943597.291900.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    Pot size is going to depend on a few variables.

A) Growing method - Soil, Soiless, hydro Etc. By the looks of the picture were going soil or soiless.

B) Strain - This will give you the avg size of a fully cared for mature plant so if they say 6 weeks and 1 sq meter thats the space your going to want for a fully bushed uncontrolled plant. but how does this affect pot size? well as in most plants what you see growing up is mirrored under the soil in the root system.

C) Auto flower or not? If its auto flower you can use relatively small pots as these plants are genetically made to stop veg growth at a specific point and flip to flower. 

IMO i would ditch the second plant grow one in the biggest container you can get in your room  and SCRoG. The bigger the pot the happier the plant. If your trying to save money blue boxes and thing work real well with a few holes added for drainage, If money isnt a concern get Air pots they are amazing.

11. Good job on the box!

12. Thank you sir.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #173 hemptation420, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
    I would like to thank everyone for the interest in my thread and for all those who helped me when i was starting i would like to give you all a huge thank you! I did move away from the box a while ago, but i have recently finished collecting my parts for the new operation. 

I will still answer any questions asked in this thread but i wont be doing any updates or carrying this thread on at all anymore.

New journal > http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1362107-1000-watt-4-x-4-tent-perpetual-scrog.html

Best of luck to everyone here in the DIY section keep the good work up! and again thank you for the support.

14. Thank you for sharing... B)

• Like Like x 1
  15. working on my first grow box and came aross your amazing one box. i could really use some advise and pointers on how to properly do the ventilation.

16. #176 nugwings777, May 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2016
    kgiuytflb

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  17. #178 nugwings777, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
    thanks, this is my set up now im not growing right now because .I need to custom build a fixture and wire some sockets for some white led bulbs thats the new crunk shit in the underground micro grow world it's a micro world lol The tents to light trap keeps light out when my plants sleeping

Attached Files: