DIY Grow Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hemptation420, Oct 15, 2012.

1. #141 hemptation420, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
    @[member="NugJar"] Hey i would like to see some pictures of your box in use if possible? Also what method grow are you using? lights? 

2. #142 willilu, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014

I think personally i would be fine with the construction of the actual box from the list youve already posted a few pages back, you could always copy and paste those steps into the guide to make it more complete. I am an electrician so id be fine with the wiring, but im sure others would be happy with some instruction. I could definitly use some help with the air flow set up, negative pressure, temp control etc.

3. #143 hemptation420, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  4. what are the dimensions for your box?

and i would be so very much grateful if you could give me the step by step directions on building everything (supplies,electrical) i plan on picking up supplies within the next couple weeks and this design is exactly what ive been looking for 
    ...you and I sir share the same vision lol

5. Good to hear..Ill continue to plug away at the next part of the build. and onto the electrical , venting / air flow, then finishing touches.

6. Nice box man, bit more solid than mine haha. Will look into making a wooden one next, thanks for the guide! My wiring may also need improvement...

1393430398974.jpg 1393430507140.jpg 1393430591489.jpg 1393430660398.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Oops phone lost signal and posted 3 of same pic

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. happens to the best of us..NP's

I will be finishing the rest of the build soon as i have time...Ill pick up from the doors and continue onto the sealing and wiring of the box building of the light's and hoods, then the panda film, fan insulation and venting to keep proper heat, and lastly the carbon filter.

So if you are planning on building i hope ill have this done before then. 

and thank you for the kind words. I am by no means a carpenter / electrician (insulator by trade actually) but i was trying to go for $ saving and efficiency.

This box cost me around 73$ every 3 months to run. I spend about 150$ in soil a YEAR, and the 2 part nute's cost 50$ veg 50$ grow a year. 73 *4 = 300 (rounded) + 150 + 100 = 550$ a year to run. 

I pull a QP every 3 months. so thats 4 harvests a year and a bottom $ for garbage product around my area were looking at 650 for a QP. i cover my cost in 1 grow for the entire year. Efficiency!!!

9. Hey guys, i am a first time grower, have been learning for a while and want to try my first grow.

I dont have a lot of money to start with so i decided to build a grow box.
    I was thinking about making the one its shown in the beginning of this post, but as I am a newbie to this and I have most difficulties in figuring out how to setup a box and most with the ventilation and smell system, I have some asking to you guys in hope you can give me a hand.

Hemptation420 I wrote some stuff on your setup pictures that I'm about to post ( I hope you don't mind) for you guys to understand what I don't understand... lool 😆 I am a bit stoned and I feel I'm writing to much... Anyways...

1# so my question is really only about the ventilation system, in the flowering room there is no carbon filter and then there's this 2 holes on the top of the chamber I don't get it... wouldn't the smell get out trough the holes? And in the veg room there is that thing what I believe to be the carbon filter but I still don't get how it works. How does the air get pulled out the room??

I'm sorry for my ignorance but I really need help on this as it's giving me head hicks...

image_04.png image_02.png image_03.png

2# my second question is about the door covering the upper space where all the cables and stuff are... I dont get it, again if the door is closed how does the air get out? Does the door need to stay open all the time ? image_01.png

Thank you guys !

10. Sorry guys first time using this, anyway was building a pc grow box and wondering whether or not there is some kind of battery power for the fans? We sometimes get power outs....plz help?

11. #152 hemptation420, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
     Question 1..There is a negative air pressure on the box (more air being pulled out then can come in) There is no Carbon filter in the Flower side bc the center wall has a fan that pulls air to the Veg side to use some of the heat to keep the veg more humid with using smaller bulbs. The 2 holes in the top of the Flower room are actually fans that turn on if the room gets to hot and need some extra venting ( I have 5 or 6 bounty sheets above them as they dont turn on often if at all that more then does the trick for smell).  The black tube is indeed the DIY carbon filter. just a mesh cage with a second slight smaller one in side and the space between them is filled with carbon (This is attached to my Inline fan at 450 ish CFM which is like 8 times what my box needed).

There are holes in the floors of both rooms under the false floors where the air gets dragged in. then from there it pulled into the veg room via the hole in the middle wall and assisted by the fan. To stop light leaks i added a black out box in the veg room. then it goes out the Carbon filter. Thats the path the air travels.

Question 2. the back isnt covered.  its left open...i just hung some panda film across the back. all the air is vented that way. 

The lighting system has changed alot from those pictures tho you might want to read further into the thread...i show how to make some super cheap CFL hoods that make life 100% easier. less stacking shit to get the plants closer to the lights.

I wouldnt be as worried about fans turning off as the lights fall off schedule. 

13. yeah was thinking the same actually... but got a generator, thanks Anyway!

14. now thats thinking right there. good ol genny! can someone say sour diesel? lol

15. Looks great, but personally, I wouldn't have built the whole thing from scratch. It just screems grow room. I would have converted the inside of a cabinet, but that's just me. You have a great setup there. Expect good things.

16. Do you remember how much this build cost you?

17. Im not really all that worried about stealth, im not 15 living with my parents lol.

As for how much it cost the original build was under 300 with everything. but ive changed light sources to HPS and that was almost 300 alone, But more then worth it. As stated above u can cut some corners and re purpose a dresser or something of the sorts and save some cash but the main reason i didnt was i wanted specific size rooms and storage and most dressers are very skinny and not so tall.

18. ok, $300 isnt too bad. how many plants do you have flowering/ vegging at a time?

First couple rotations i rolled 4 on each side. Now i do 1 plant SCRoG and get the same yield in half the work.