DIY Grow Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hemptation420, Oct 15, 2012.

1. #121 hemptation420, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
    The CFL's i was using in the flower side were HUGE!!!! they were 100 or 120 watt ( cant remember) and i was running 4 of them. and it took allot to vent that heat for sure. 

2. Oh and i know two others asked about your two fans above in your flower chamber. Idk if you took them out or w.e but still having trouble understanding how did that work wouldnt the smell leak out? Why not just seal those up and put the fans blowing into the veg and have the scrubber do its magic?

3. Hey,

The scrubber is a DIY. 6" Inline with the basic filter attached to the end. works wonders, And orginally those fans were to cool the lights above the plexiglass but ive since changed my lighting setup to HPS. So now the one 4" fan pushes air in though the cool tube and the other sucks it out. 

There is also a fan pulling air from the flower to veg.

4. Ahhh glad to read you ha e changed to hps. Didn't go back through any posts but how's the grow setup look now

-Frog

Looks the same for the most part i havent posted any recent pictures with the hoods i made for the CFL's. I kept the CFLs and the hoods (hung from chains as to move with growth) in the veg room they are working awesome. Major growth. I took the hood out of the Flower room and have a cool tube with a square reflector rigged up with variable high adjustment.

6. That box looked like it would be perfect for a two plant grow. Small 150 wt hps and then cfl's for the veg side. Prolly get some decent bud from it

-Frog

7. Thank you for the quick reply. So I understand you've changed your setup to hps but is the vent for the lights connected to the scrubber or the lights has its own ducting/vent and the scrubber also? and those 4" fans is enough to vent the lights? I was thinking of getting a 400w hps setup with your design grow box would the (2) 4" fans be golden or i need more vent/CFM?

8. For clarity I'm talking about (2) 4" fans JUST to vent for a DIY 400w hps hood

9. #130 hemptation420, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
    The light is in a "cool tube" so basically it shares no air with the box its self. One side pulls cool air in from outside of the top of the box and pushes though the ducting to the lights "tube" the second fan pulls that air through and pushes it out the top of the box. The cool tube actually helps alot keeping temps down in a small grow space. its actually much easier to manage the temps with the HPS then the CFL's as i have the fans on a controller (can ramp them up and down). Im using high end computer fans around 70 CFM each (believe they are cooler master). So to answer bluntly, No scrubber on the light setup and yes its on its own ducting system. My two fans are more then enough 

10. A good baseline with cfls is 100w per plant veg and at least 200w per plant during flower. I love them personally granted less lumen output per watt. As far as keeping a small mother or rooting some clones. You can't beat them. Got some ge 55w 2700k 3860 lumen output 1 foot away.

11. You should design a guide to build to box.

#RedEyeClub

12. Yea i got no problems doing that at all if a few people are interested in a guide i can do that no problem. I could do say box construction wiring, fixture construction, ventilation, lining, light proofing etc.

13. that box is cool.. 

14. awesome box man. I like how it blends really nice with your place.

With your HPS, how much dry weight do you usually get on average from a crop?

Im averaging around 3 1/2 oz per pull (single plant). I have it set up atm so i can pull every 3 - 4 weeks. 

16. Well man, I told you you were an inspiration. I present to you, your cabinet's twin brother! :smoke:

I'm glad your actually still around here. I've got a few questions for you in how I should continue on with the box.

My first is about the vent holes in the floor of the cabinet (Plywood). Do you suggest the same hole layout as you did in yours, or more/less?

Also, your MDF floor has such larger holes then the intake below. How does that help light leak? Should the MDF holes be smaller and offset from those below?

Attached Files:

17. Fuckin clean man..Nicely done!

And i would be more then happy to answer any questions you got.

There was no specific layout for the holes I started with 4 down the outside edge in each room. This turned out to not be enough air and the temps sky rocketed. So i added 2 more on the opposite side in each room. I continued this until i got the desired running temps But from what read around the net is that you should have twice the surface area in passive intake as you have for you vent (e.g 4" need 8" in total passive intake).

As for the MDF the holes were large to help with airflow your pots are going to cover much of the floor so small holes in my mind seemed like they were only going to get covered or block most of the air..Basically i wanted as much of the MDF gone as i could. When it comes to the light leak No light enters the box as light dosnt bend :). As for light out If you get down on your hands and knees u can see a small amount of "glow" coming from the bottom not even enough to make circles on the floor and thats when the room is dark.

18. Just read through your thread! Props to you man! What a good job you've done. Inspirational to say the least!

Now I have the jist of the box making from what you've already posted. But would be much apprciated if you were down to do a complete guide. I think aswell as myself alot of people would benfit from your expertise! Cheers

19. I wouldn't say expertise, but thank you for the compliment! I will work up some diagrams and a step by step tommorow. I will make sure it's user friendly and ill explain all the small things (e.g parallel wiring, negative air pressure, power supply use etc.) 

Is there anything specifically you would like to see in a build tutorial like a specific part i should include?