DIY Grow Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hemptation420, Oct 15, 2012.

1. So you got your hps now? Was gonna recommend a cheap one i found the other day on amazon. Im gonna upgrade to it since its mh/hps for like $125! Thats cheaper than a 4' 4bulb t5 light! Anyways, i grow outdoors, but i do start my seeds inside for about a month before i transplant them.

btw heres the hps/mh combo if u didnt get one already

Ipower ones are about the same price, not sure which ones are better though. The apollo doesnt look as cheap to me imho.

Also, i skimmed the pages, but u were asking about cfls. From what i read (again i dont grow inside) people say u need 100 actual watts per plant. If not more. So that would be (3) 42watt bulbs per plant. Hope that helps ya some.

• Like Like x 1
  2. what is the best lamp to get in Kelvins for a veg stage plant?  im not talking about having different types or mixed together but if only one to be used what should it be?  6500K, is that a actual blue light?

3. Yes i switch to HPS in the flower room. i have a 400 W bulb in a DIY cool tube.

as for when i was using CFL i had 4 100 Watt 2700k bulbs in the flower room but that wanst nearly enough and those bulbs are 20$ so in retrospect for the 80$ dont waste the money just save up the extra 120$ and buy the HPS will double your yield easy.

But those are some very good prices on the combo lamps!

4. you want 6500k for veg and 2700k for flower. The bulb will not be blue its self but it will give off a more white "blue spectrum" of light. If you are buying CFL they will be labeled " Daylight" bulbs. Flower is labeled "Soft White" this is the more "red spectrum"

• Like Like x 2
  5. I use a 400w appolo and it is great. I didnt go with ipower because it was the same as my setup but 30 dollars more. I felt like I would have been paying for the lower case i.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. Do you have the combo like i linked but the 400w? Im thinking of getting a 600w to veg indoors next year starting in jan/feb, so they veg a few months indoors before going outside. Was just curious how it was. Heard/read great reviews on it.

7. Combo just like that but a 400 with a cool tube. It is Amazing to say the least. I'm thinking about picking up 2 600W for a flower room. Well worth the investment. Mine hasnt had a single problem yet. You can't dim it while its on and it takes a minute to boot up but I really don't mind that personally.

• Like Like x 1
  8. My grow is in my sig and I have a couple pictures of my setup.

9. Awesome info <span>hemptation420 and many thanks.</span>

Grow box is looking killer as well, would like to make something like that.
    Does it vent well enough to get all the heat out, or to let the heat escape?

No just the HPS. I use Florescent to veg still. Keeps heat down and works just as good from what ive seen / read.

Thank you and no problem. Ive gotten lots of help from this forum so im willing to pass it on!

The box vents very well. Keeps excellent temps. but the room its in gets a little warm THANK GOD for Central air. lol

11. You should be able to just buy the Meh bulb think they are like 17$ should you have the ballast that does both. Sry on tablet mh bulb is what meant to say stupid auto correct

12. #112 dimebags420, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  13. #113 theratdude64, Jun 20, 2013
    That's 6500k, bluish for veg. 2700k is reddish for flower.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. #114 dimebags420, Jun 20, 2013
    One pic your veg room is a blue light.  In this pic, which is also the same veg room (according to the caption) the light appears to be white and not blue.  Is there a reason for this?

15. thx for the reply btw, and so fast.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #116 theratdude64, Jun 20, 2013
    In mine? Or the thread? Daylight 6500's are pretty whitish, they're not "blue", just more on the blue end of the light spectrum.

Also the light may appear different in pictures because of the white balance setting of the camera. Like if it was on daylight, incandescent, fluorescent, cloudy, etc.

17. oh my bad, no the thread.

18. Ahh clarifying :smoking:

I edited some info into the last post lol

19. Thanks for the tips.  One last question if u can do u think the cfl's make good ones that i posted the link for... well u may not be able to open that link w/ phone/tablet. thanks for the clarification

20. I'm not sure on big ones, but the link says not for enclosed areas. Dunno what kind of grow area you got, but sounds like ventilation needs to be able to handle that beast.