DIY Grow Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hemptation420, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Sorry I just skimmed but are you only using cfl's?

2. So you have a floor with holes in it, as intakes. Then on top of that is a "floating" MDF with holes in different locations. Barely lifted off the bottom floor to allow airflow, but the MDF hole locations prevents light from leaking?

3. Exactly. Well put, If you want pictures let me know.

4. Your setup looks amazing... I'm working on something very similar to yours. Good to see you getting such good results with CFLs and I'm really looking forward to seeing how your SCRoG turns out.

5. Yup for now. I think i may change the Flower room over to a 400W HPS Cooltube. depending if i can keep temps down or not.

6. If you post a pic , that would be helpful. I have to move out of my pc case and want to build a box much like yours.

7. This might be too much to ask but is there anyway you could show a step by step plan of how you built this box? I get the gist of it but theres a lot of parts where im unsure of exactly what you did. PM me if that would be any easier.

8. Well depending on the amount of detail you want in this step by step. I dont have pictures from the construction i really wish i woulda have taken some i was just in more get it done state of mind.

But if your looking just for like a quick Ikea instructions i can do that no problem

9. Yes! That would be great if you could do that. Thanks

10. The drawing is a little confusing. Wish you had some framing shots. I bought some lumber but I can figure out where to begin. Also, did you use 1/2" plywood? I am trying to figure out the cuts.

11. 1/2" ply wood is way thicker then u need i used 1/4" but i built the frame very well. If your going to skimp out on the framing wood i would def go with the thicker ply wood to add stability.

Step by Step:

1: Build the base. I used 2x1 for all my framing. So cut 2 pieces to the length of the box and 2 pieces to the width of the box. Also cut a rectangle of ply wood out with the same L x W (this is used to make sure u build square).

2: Place the 2x1's you cut in a rectangle on the plywood edges and glue/screw everything down. Flip over and Screw the plywood to the frame you just made.

3: Repeat step 1 and 2 to fab up the top also.

4: To Frame the rooms we do the following. Figure out your room height and cut 8 2x1's 1 for each of the 4 corners and 4 for the segregating wall in the middle.

5. Screw / glue each of the 4 corners in. This next part is a little tricky so to make it easier on you i would suggest Doweling. Dead center of your box measure out the 1/4 for the plywood split even between the two sides. pre drill 4 holes 2 at the front 2 at the back. pre drill each end of the 4 pieces of 2x1 you have left. Fill the holes on the frame with wood glue and insert your dowels (WAIT TILL THEY DRY BEFORE CONTINUING). Set all your center wall pieces onto the dowels and then insert your plywood wall between the 4 posts and screw threw the post threw the plywood into the other post.

6. Cut a piece of plywood the size of the base. Now this is where you are going to cut a hole for your exhaust fan(DO THIS BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE WOOD OR YOUR GOING TO HAVE ALOT OF PROBLEMS) again and place ontop of the 8 wall pieces you just installed. Screw down into the 4 center wall posts (NOT THE CORNERS). We will pilot the corners and make 4 more dowels. Glue insert at let dry.

7. Cut 4 posts to the height you would like the storage at the top pilot the bottoms glue and install on the dowels.

8. Set the pre framed top piece you made onto the box (This dosnt get screwed down it will be held on by the side plywood)

9. cut your plywood for the back so it leaves the storage box open (for wires and ventilation. glue /screw onto the 2x1s (dont be shy on the screws)

10. Cut the sides to cover over the back piece of plywood right to the top. Glue / screw to the sides.

11. Doors this is up to you how you want to make them. You can do as i did and make 2 panel style doors or u can do 1 big hanging door.

12. Take white chulking and chulk all the seams in both the flower and veg rooms (THIS STOPS LIGHT LEAKS AND AIR LEAKS).

13. Install all wiring and fans/ lights blah blah.

14. Panda film hiding wires and any other unsighly things u wanna hide.

That would be the basic quick run down. If any further explanation is needed i can fab up some quick photoshop pictures to help.

12. Awesome, thank you for that :)

Sent from my HTC One S using GC Forum

13. Not a problem at all. Glad i could help!

14. Hey, Sorry I'm having some trouble understanding how your venting the air?
    Wouldn't the two 120mm fans pulling air out of the flower room spread a whole lot of stink out of the box? And what is venting the Veg room?, you said there that there is one 120mm fan pulling air into the veg room but nothing to pull the air out?

Sorry if its some obvious answer but I'm making a box like this myself and I'm a little confused on the venting situation.

15. I'm really diggin that intake setup

Sent from my Transformer using GC Forum

16. This is also where I got lost. I would have to think, the way the fans are installed as of now, the rooms are backwards.

Regardless, you are using it sucessfully. But before I cut 2 holes out where those 2 - 120's are, just want to get a smell report.

17. The 2 120s in the flower room were originally to vent heat off the lights above the plexi. Now i have 4 inch ducting running a cool tube off them.

the veg room is vented by the 6" inline fan. the 120mm in the wall is just to help push air from flower to veg. 

as for smell i rent my current house and my landlords (dont smoke or toke) pop in from time to time to fix things and i have this box in my living room They walk passed the box and never say a thing. Also i host game night in my living room for a few friends and my girlfriend and not one of them has asked about it or mentioned any smell.

18. Lookin awesome :), absolutely love the cab and subliminally use it to inspire my designs :smoking:

Hard to believe my monster ladies looked like that lol

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Epic and inspiring. I need myself one of these!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app