DIY Grow Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hemptation420, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Nice work on the box that's basically what I'm specing out ..
    I like how u split the box into veg and flower compartments

2. So aside from the visible fans I can see mounted on the walls in your flower room, do you have same 2x120mm mounted in above the plants in the veg rooms?

If I understand correctly, you have that "crawl space" above the fans where your fans do intake/exhaust, but how do they push/pull air if that lid is closed?

3. the fans in my cab consist of the following:

2 x 120 mm pulling air out of the top of the flower room.
    1 x 120 mm pulling air from flower into veg room.
    2 x 90 mm for circulation in flower room
    1 x 6 inch duct booster + carbon filter pulling air out of flower room.

I have no fans pushing air into the box i use all passive intakes to create a negative air pressure to make sure all the "stinky" air get to the carbon filter.

The space above the box was for the power, wiring, storage and venting. Where to door is on the front there is no covering on the back, I hung a piece of panda film and stapled it down so the air could flow out and the panda film keeps any unwanted light out and in.

I can take a picture of the floor in my box if you would like to see the intake holes. But there are 12 1" holes in the floor 8 in the flower room and 4 in the veg room.

4. Your box is super similar to mine. I am currently on my second grow in it. Just an FYI, I tried a duct booster fan and a coffee can carbon filter. Those little fans are pretty much worthless whenever there is any back pressure. My house stunk so bad I was freaking out whenever there was a knock on the door. I recently bought a real inline style fan and a real carbon filter. Holy smokes! This should have been my first purchase, before the plywood for the box! They work wonders.

• Like Like x 1
  5. [quote name='"hemptation420"']

the fans in my cab consist of the following:

2 x 120 mm pulling air out of the top of the flower room.
    1 x 120 mm pulling air from flower into veg room.
    2 x 90 mm for circulation in flower room
    1 x 6 inch duct booster + carbon filter pulling air out of flower room.

The space above the box was for the power, wiring, storage and venting. Where to door is on the front there is no covering on the back, I hung a piece of panda film and stapled it down so the air could flow out and the panda film keeps any unwanted light in.

I can take a picture of the floor in my box if you would like to see the intake holes. But there are 12 1" holes in the floor 8 in the flower room and 4 in the veg room.[/quote]
    That would help a lot :D

6. Was the duct booster that bad? I did a "smell" test with the box and it worked as intended. Also the fan it strong enough to create suction on each of the intake holes. Did it just die out on you or was there other issues?

These are some Pictures of what the floor looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also just finished the Germ and Planting of my first 5 White Widow seeds.

Germ:
    [​IMG]

Veg room:
    [​IMG]

Off to the races.

7. I found that the duct booster just didn't move enough air out of my box to take care of the smell and cool the box when it had to suck air through even a small layer of carbon. My floor is similar to yours except I drilled about 2 dozen holes. My current set up is a 6 inch booster fan just sucking hot air out of the box and I have my carbon filter and inline fan hanging from the ceiling in the same room. I'd have certainly built my box taller had I realized how big these fan/filter systems are.

Also, I have the 6 inch booster at full speed and temps inside the box are still running in the 80's at lights on 24/0 with a little over 600 watts of CFL's. Not the end of the world but cooler temps would be better.

8. Odd. Between the both rooms there is just over 700 watts and with all lights on the flower room hits 82 and veg stays 79 the entire time. Im having zero problems with the booster fan.

And the reason your fan wasnt pulling enough air is you have to many intake holes. For the negative pressure to work you want about double or just under double the amount of intake as exhaust (this dosnt mean 6" hole out 12" hole in). having 24 small holes is allowing to much air to flow in with not enough going out, probably why you had to add more fans.

9. After the first week this is what were working with.

[​IMG]

3 of the 5 are the same size the other two are behind a bit.

[​IMG]

10. wow... nice grow box... i have mine too but smaller than yours.. i'll be following this thread...

11. Thank you..I would love to see yours, Yesterday was end of week 2 so ill be taking more pictures tonight.

12. Well week 2 is done onto week 3. Started the DNF Gro A & B with the first water. Here is where i am at now.

[​IMG]

This one is just growing and growing Probably the one i will clone for mothers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am a little worried about this little fella he just seems to be struggling kinda limp leaves. any ideas?

[​IMG]

13. Their looking good and healthy... Keep em up...

14. Thank you sir.

15. Well Week 4 is here. Things seem to be on the up n up with the transplant Hopefully they enjoy the new pots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. They are..... WOW!!!

17. Thank you sir.

Im starting to think i either have 2 different genetics of White Widow, or 2 different strains altogether. As 3 of the plants seem to be darker green and allot shorter, the leaves are also short and fat. Then 1 of the plants is much taller with longer skinnier leaves. Although these all came from the same pack from 1 seed bank.

18. Very nice :)

I love the design. It has inspired me. May I ask how high off the floor is your intake holes? Also, is there any concern for keeping the holes open without a screen or filter? I just thinking about the stray spiders finding a way in.

19. The legs are 1 1/2" thick so the holes would be that distance from the floor. I did end up stapling screen squares over each hole to stop pet hair and such from being sucked in, I found my cat likes to hang out around the box, so this would also keep spiders and other un wanteds out

20. Really nice box man, love the order and it's very clean. Plants are doing well too.. Keep growing!