DIY GH in hawaii

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by TropicallyGrown, Nov 11, 2019.

1. How's it goin everyone? I've recently moved back to Hawaii and live on the Hilo/Puna side of the big island. I've been reading and doing some research on here along with other forum sites and trying to gain some knowledge on growing here on the big island(puna/hilo) I was really intimidated about growing here due to the very unique weather that permits us to grow year round here. I've done some research about Hawaiian landrace strains and their ability to thrive here.. I've got an acre and a half of land to be utilized. I've talked to and seen a few growers and the sets ups used out here and have made the choice to start my own small DIY greenhouse. its going to be a 10 maybe 12x20 carport frame with 6mil plastic for roofing. The grows I've seen here they just leave the side walls and ends open but I'm not comfortable with that. I was thinking maybe put some fencing and then some screening behind that to keep bugs and rats out but still utilize the openness for air flow and to keep it cooler.. just with a bit more protection from the things they'd be exposed to here. Using the UFO style leds for light sup depending on the time of year since its November and I'm in "short season" and it always rains where I'm at or looks like its always gonna rain most days. I'd really like to get opinions, ideas, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, personal experiences and tips from of you that have grown successful meds in a tropical setting that's wet.. preferably right here on this side of the big island.

If you have any tips or suggestions or there is anything you would like to ask or have questions about.. Shoot em. I'm trying to gain as much knowledge and info that's possible. Mahalo.

2. We spent a week on the north short of Oahu a couple years ago and all I kept thinking was man it would be so cool to grow here, but yeah that damn daily rain is a killer. I spoke with a couple old timers who grow there and their setup was exactly as you described. Almost as if they were growing berries, but as you mentioned, that would bug the hell out of me. A full-on greenhouse would be best. I saved one of the fellas email address and I'll see if I can't pick his brain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. One thing I forgot to mention is I'm not an expert on Hawaiian weather by any means, but I've been there 6 times (4 islands) and it seems like it never rained for more than maybe 10 to 15 minutes at a time, then of course you get the sunny and 80 degree weather immediately afterwards, so maybe that's not as much of a factor after all?

4. where I live it fucking dumps! Some days it wont rain but those few months have already passed... Even then you could still count on some type of light showers. It rains everyday here.. There's a 10k tank for the catchment system and it can be about a quarter filled and be filled up then be overflowing 10-12hrs later. You ever been to the Big Island?

5. I am thinking of doing full GH but then fans and electricity and solar panels or using a generator come into play.. but either way I need to figure out what im gonna do about power.. Im trying to do solar and not pay for water or power. Im trying to convince someone I know to sell me these 3 small panels that have been sitting forever. If you could do that and shoot him an email that'd be really dope!

6. First one or two times around, I think I would try to mimic what I see other successful growers around you are doing. Then you can tweak your own grow from there as needed.

Patience may = success.

7. that's very true.. I might do that.. Some are saying not to do it due to rain. but if im covered and have plants on like a pallet or build something like that and have lights for supplement I don't see how I could go wrong maybe just do like 2 plants so I can see how it goes in less than perfect weather conditions and gain that knowledge. idk

8. Always wanted to make it to the big island, but never did. Oahu and Kauai twice and one visit each to Maui and Lanai. I'm in love with north shore Oahu now. Would love to live there some day, but would probably have to sell one of my kids. LOL

9. its nice here can do the city thing if you want then be alone and secluded if you want.. plus..there's no traffic and tons of ppl like Oahu. if you ever come out this way lmk

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kind an older thread, but not too old, haha.... sounds like we could almost be neighbors, lol. I'm doing it in a 24X48 greenhouse, open on both ends, kind of like a big hoop house. My first grow, I was plagued by bud worms... probably picked almost 500 of them. Not soon after, out came the 2X4's and insect netting, closing off both ends... the second grow I only had half a dozen or so of them, but was plagued by spider mites and powdery mildew. Since you live here, you know how much rain we get, and the humidity levels are way high. Wish we had a little more sunshine though as the second time I grew, I swear it was overcast and rainy for 2 months, haha.

Hope it all turned out well for you.