DIY Flip Flop... or Electrical Light Mover

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Klutter, Jul 14, 2008.

1. its night and day over here folks [​IMG] yeah i dont have another room yet so i have one ballast lighting these two bulbs back and forth. to test it i let it flip flop every hour for 24hrs. it never gets total dark for more than an eyeblink and only takes the bulb a minute or two to fully light [​IMG] this was a great investment and saved me the cost of a light mover already, not to mention when i get another room or closet to light. Thanks DB2004, thanks guys!

[​IMG][​IMG]

the box is a 10"x10" i added a 4" high velocity fan $5 from walmart and a timer from home depot that i mounted on the top.
    [​IMG]

this shows how i added mesh inserts for air circulation since i have a 400w ballast in there.
    [​IMG]

prior to wire tying everything tight
    [​IMG]

on the left i have a 10' power cord and a 1' timed out for fan or multi ballast control from this timer. it is not connected to the ballast only to the timer. on the top right side i have a long and short set, those are the night/day from relay. the bottom right is a timer/relay bypass plug that connects directly to the ballast so if either t/r should go out i could still use the ballast easily. i left the switch for mh conversion inside on the ballast mount, i cant fit mh in my cool tubes atm so no use yet.
    [​IMG]

this setup works with my ballast and in my situation. your situation may be different. wiring this is definitely not for everyone but if you are comfortable changing a ceiling fan, it should be no problem. i never imagined the possibilities untill this thing started flippin over my plants like the sun over a horizon [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*edited to add this wire diagram...
    [​IMG]

2. hmm....
    creative)

3. What relay are you using? Are they available online? Can I use a plastic box if I am just housing the relay and ground all the wires to a common ground lug?

Very helpful post!

4. I am trying to do something similar but was hoping to find a switch or something like it. I want to run two bloom rooms with one ballast with a reflector/bulb in each room. When one room goes out, the other goes on so I am flowering 24 hours a day using only one ballast.

Does anyone know of such a switch? It would have to go on the "output" end of the ballast, between the ballast and the reflectors. I can handle some basic wiring but am no professional so I was hoping to be able to purchase something.