DIY Exhaust, help wanted

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by OctopusGardener, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Well first off, hello GC! I've been lurking for awhile reading and reading and reading about growbox setup, and I believe I have most of my plan worked out here.  I will be using LED lights mounted to the bottom of heatsinks (not sure how many or what wattages per LED but shooting for 100-150w total) to light my ~20in cube.  My main concern is with the exhaust system (as the title implies) and mroe specifically, static pressure of the fan(s).  Right now I'm looking at this fan, as it has a decent static pressure rating, relatively low noise, and adequate cfm rating for my micro-box.  The hang-up here comes with my odor control, which I am planning to use a pencil/pen holder DIY activated carbon filter.

I reckon i won't be running the fan at full power (noise) so would using two of them (not quite) stacked work?  It would go scrubber---->fan---->DIY muffler---->fan---->out.

Another possibility would be to go the overkill route with a Delta fan running wayyy turned down with a scrubber----->muffler----->fan---->out config.

Stealth is paramount in this operation so I would really like some help in that regard....I've also read about panasonic whisper fans, but the pressure rating on those is VERY low it would appear?  There seems to be some conflicting info here, so any help sorting this out would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. Currently many growers have a passive inlet on there vent, that is no inlet fan, just 1 outlet fan, you have made no mention of grow room size, that is crucial to success, HXWxL = volume, say 150 cubic feet(avg) you will need to change the entire 150 cubic feet of air in 4 minutes (min) so 150/4 = 37.4....so you need a 40cfm fan?
    You may add another 33% to make up for the carbon filter, this is an approx. as theres so many different filters, just ensure the humidity don't rise above 60%, as then they fail....too wet to work!

Mount the filter and fan on bungee cords or other rubber bits and or suppress sound by wrapping

3. Thanks for the reply! I mentioned that I'm growing micro-style in a 20 inch cube (but re-reading my post I see that I worded it so it was easy to miss) and passive intake was what I had planned on.  The bungee cords/rubber is a good idea though! I'll have to try that.  Given my small space the CFM rating on the fan almost isn't an issue, however I'm under the impression that if the fan does not have a sufficient static pressure rating, then it won't create enough airflow to pull air through the filter.

4. #4 jollyrancher1, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    Put the fan on a speed control and "dial it in".

If you have to run a fan at max speed, you need a bigger fan.

Bigger fans are quieter also.