DIY DWC Detailed Bucket/Tub Guide

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Autoflower, Mar 9, 2010.

1. No man i absolutely guarantee you that the roots will tangle with eachother....look at what the op's did by itself....plus i have 6 plants in a 6 gallon tub before and by the time they got to about 5 weeks old the roots were getting tangled with eachother.

2. aside from not being able to move them apart what are the scary things that will happen if the roots do get entangled?

3. is it really that big of a deal if the roots tangle? i run a "fake" aero set up and i have 4 plants roots chilling in a chamber..

im thinking about using that to veg in then get maybe 4 5 gallon buckets to flower in? or should i use two larger rubber maids..a nice little dwc set up

4. only thing id be worried about is disease....root rot mainly...and thats enough to keep me away from doing it lol

5. But if the roots are well AirAted how would they rot?

6. root rot can come from many things....i added Earth Juice Catalyst...which is a great additive btw....to my hydro res and within 3 days i had root rot on one of my ladies....yeas my res temps were a little warm and i may have been able to prevent it but the root rot spread to the 3 others that were in there and they died bc their root systems werent strong enough yet to fight that battle.

basically if your usuing organic anything stay away from multi plants in one res. bc organic can promote root rot very quick...as in my case

7. sweet diy stuff, i'm trying to figure out whether to build my own or just go with the 'emily's garden' contraption for a first grow. would this same concept work with 3-gallon buckets, with one plant in each bucket? what's the minimum water volume per plant? would it be possible to use one aquarium pump, using one long tube that goes through each bucket, maybe poking holes in the submerged areas of the tube for aeration? looking for ideas folks :). +rep on this thread for sure.

8. Heyyyy man you can definately do each in a 3gallon bucket...thats what i recomend...or a 5 gallon with about 3 gallons of water (its just easier to work with)....also you must have seperate aquarium pump for each unless the pump is rated very high and has multiple ports. Simply poking holes in the tubing wont work...you need airstones which you can get at walmart for $2 or so lol.

9. much appreciated fonzi! that's exactly what i was wondering about. that makes sense; it will be easier just to have a separate pump for each bucket, especially after checking out the prices online. all you need are the cheap $10 aquarium air pumps, but for some reason i was thinking of the water pumps for ponds that are like $70+. i had the complete wrong idea haha.

one more thing tho, is there a ballpark rule-of-thumb about how many gallons of water you'll need per plant? everything i've read says vigorous plants can easily go through a gallon of water a day during flowering, and with fully grown roots in even a 5 gallon container it seems like you'd be cutting it pretty close. any suggestions? thanks!

10. A 5 gallon container will be just fine. You keep the water level about 1"-1.5" below the base of your net pots.

11. Yeah man id suggest a 5 gallon...with a full root system youd have about 2.5 gallons of roots and 2 gallons of water....the plant wont need more than a gollon added every 3 days and if you get into the habbit of flushing once a week you more than likely wont even need to add water

12. Can you do this setup in a mid tower computer case? Given I found a rectangular Tupperware container that fit the inside bottom 1/3 perfectly...

13. could but youd have extremely limited grow sppace.....have to lst like crazy

14. very nice setup, i have one question how do often do you change the water and how do you change it? do you have a drain hooked to it.

15. hate to bump a 3 year old topic but this DIY is amazing i been using this method on my new grow and im impressed at how much money i saved going into hydro i always though id be super expensive and harder to maintain but very nice and clean roots i went from 4 plants in soil at 6-8 ounces im expecting double the size.

16. #36 cailgrodude420, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
    puff puff pass.say this is my first grow and Im using DWC 5gal buckets DIY. and im not sure if Im going at it right.i have it set up right now using only superthrive and rapid start I was told to do this for 5 days and then start my nutrients.is this the way to go?please let me know any and all help :confused:will do thanks and keep it green:wave:

17. how tall are your plants? what week are you on in veg?

most growers do not use nutes until week 4 or so. you should start your nutes slowly not the recommended amount.

18. [quote name='"cailgrodude420"']puff puff pass.say this is my first grow and Im using DWC 5gal buckets DIY. and im not sure if Im going at it right.i have it set up right now using only superthrive and rapid start I was told to do this for 5 days and then start my nutrients.is this the way to go?please let me know any and all help :confused:will do thanks and keep it green:wave:[/quote]

The girls don't need and can't handle nutes until they have 3 sets of true leaves. Then start at 1/4 strength. Unless you use AN Ph perfect line. That's a whole nother ball game.

19. Hey thanks for the tip.that's good to know. but is that also the case if you are starting from clone's? I HAVE 1/2 In rockwool and 1/2 in jiffy.the root's are showing on all of them. i don't plan on keeping them all giving some to a friend but I am going to put 6 in my DWC setup Im using 5 gal bucket's with 6in bucket lid's hope to have pic on my next poast. so holla back until then :smoke:one and as always keep it green:wave:

20. the 4 week nute rule goes for all plants including clones if you got any more questions PM me so we dont spam this thread