DIY CXB3590 LED PANEL | HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by FyaBun, Nov 14, 2016.

1. So I'fe been reading up a lot, and pm'ed realstyles as well.

I have a 1x1 square feet space 2.5ft high. Have been growing wth CFL in it.(old speaker cabinet, super stealthy)
    Ordered the following from Mouser:
    -1 x Cree CXB3590 36V CB Bin (11000lm)
    -1x Mean Well LPC-60-1400 ( 42V, 1.4A, 60 Watt)
    -Cob holder
    (this was to realstyles specifications)

Decided to add to the mix
    -3x Luxeon ES Rebel deep red (650-670nm, 2.1V , 350mA)
    -3x Luxeon ES Rebel royal blue(447.5 nm, 2.9V, 350mA)
    -1x Mean Well APC-12-350 (12.6W 9-36V 350mA)
    -6x MCPCB Stars for the Rebels to be mounted on.

Also a 1A, 12V, 12Watt driver for my PC exhaust fan'

I would like some input on what i would require with heat sinks. I see a lot of builds with PC CPU heat sinks with active cooling fans(like the Alpine 11+), but these are either CXA3070's or the CXB3590 run at lower current.

1. I did not order a heatsink, kicking myself now, would a CPU heat sink with fan from an old PC work in this case?(CXB 3590 36V @ 1.4A 60watts)

2. Also with the Rebel LED's, i'fe seen growmau5 use square aluminum tubing with the stars mounted on the, for passive cooling. Can i do that as well?

3. Does anyone have some experience with the Luxeon Rebels? Because i have another driver that would work which is rated at 700mA, so i was thinking i could have a switch between 350-700mA for the Rebels

I will be growing Auto's mostly with this setup, 2x plants with LST and scrogged.

Edit, might seem like an overkill, as the initial cost was only +-100$, mouser has free shipping for over 200$, and i wasnt willing to waste more than half of what i pay on shipping. so i thought i might as well go all out.

2. At 1.4a you will need at least a 5.88x9" heat sink from heatsinks usa and you can attach your 3w led to the same heatsink select a 12x5.88 profile for your light. Good luck

3. I dont have any cash left to order stuff, shipping to my country is always 20$ plus. What Diy locally found stuff can i use? i have access to old PC heatsinks, can buy one at a shop. Also know people at a steelwork, which could cut m a block of aluminium. 1st choice is a cpu heatsink, if that could work

4. the shipping to RSA is about 4x as much as the heatsink itself. will a cpu fan do the job? actively cooled

5. sure cpu fans work great too. There are plenty of folks using those with fans to run between 25-50w.

6. Thats great, although, my driver will be runnong at 60watts. Do you think a regular cpu fan will do the job?

also, can i passive cool the rebels on square aluminium tubing passively?

7. The smallest heat sink you can use for 60w is just larger than the megatronics larger single heat sink for one cob. The heat sinks sold by cutter can carry that heat. They are in australia and work with dhl to keep shipping costs low. Pc heat sinks will probably work for maybe 35w max.

8. #8 CoraDias, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Hi....I was thinking about buying one of these to connect the bars together, I'd run it along the top of the heatsinks and then maybe cut a 5 inch hole in into this for a fan for each heatsink. What size fan do you guys think would be best for this? 120 mm? or is there something that you think would be better to use to hold the 3 heatsinks together?

pcb assembly

9. Cree Is old technology, CLU-058 is the current highend chip