DIY control box

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sc00byD00bie, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Just finished building a control box for all the lighting (and more) in my bloom area.
    It started with looking for a 2 channel timer to run the main bloom lights and far reds on a single clock with two seperate programs (so not to have to deal with them being on two timers that will eventually fall out of sync).

I found this 2 channel Din-rail timer:
    2 Channels Big LCD Display Programmable 24hrs Time Clock with Two Relay Outputs

Together with 3 more single channel timers from amazon, a metal electric box, a junction box, a couple of 35mm din rail strips, some wires and Wagos.
    The dual channel timer is on the far right. I also got a 24v 0.63Amp din-rail meanwell driver to power the far red strips (top left)

IMG_5076.jpg

I epoxied a couple of wall outlets on the sides of the box which got connected to the main flower timer (channel 1) and timer #5 which I am using to operate the pump that fills my blumat water reservoir. The other timers are for UV and one extra which I'm not using ATM.
    IMG_5078.jpg

Aside from the two outlets the rest of the loads connect from inside the box via Wagos. I epoxied some rubber on the inside and cut an X over each hole for the wires to come in through
    IMG_5079.jpg

That's it. Pretty simple project but it really cleaned up the whole electric situation I had going on.
    IMG_5083.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Nice work, looks great

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice

• Like Like x 1
  4. Would you mind sharing your flowering light schedule with me, I'm going to start flowering with the far red initiator in a couple weeks.

5. I run the main lights 13on/11off, the far red come on together with the mains and turn off 5 minutes after the mains go dark.
    I went with 13/11 so kinda in the middle between 12/12 and 13.5/10.5. This is my first try with FR so I dont know whats really optimal yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. So you're running the far red the entire lights on plus 5 minutes?

7. Correct

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dude!! That looks great! This looks well thought out, and keeping it encapsulated in the box

I like the little meanwell driver. looks like a nice solution instead of using a wall wort.

That’s a lot of wagos lol! I bet that made troubleshooting wiring a breeze though!

9. Thanks!
    In hindsight a bigger box would have been easier to work with. This was a 10"x10" box and although everything fit I think a 12"x12" box would have been nicer to work with. Yea love thse Wago connectors, they really make working on these kind of projects a breeze as you can easily connect and disconnect them as needed. So easy in fact that I didnt even bother to use waterproof cable connectors like I did on my first light since it's so much easier to just connect everything to the Wago and I dont have to solder connectors every time I change a light or a driver.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I’ve had some growing pains using the waterproof connectors I went with.

I’m reassessing my initial design, in favor of a larger project box that keeps everything nice and tidy.

I’ve ran down a lot of rabbit holes with leds so far