DIY cfl lighting unit

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by JamisDakarXLT, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Dude! We in the same boat lol, i also cant find them anywhere, not even online... Except I want the ones that are at a 90 degree angle...

2. I foound mine first at Lowes in Oswego NY, priced at $2.00 and THEN I biked down the hill to Wal-Mart and found the same application for $1.
    I know for sure you will NOT be able to find a plug in style lsmp socket at a 90 degree angle. Noone makes em'.
    This is funny cuz' I have access to plug in style sockets.

3. Ah dam! I swear I've seen them before lol :smoking:
    I'll see if i can buy some online somewhere, what are they exactly called? Whats it say on the packaging? :eek: Though it might be called something different here lol:smoke:
    Thanks Jamis!

4. #44 Guest, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    I built one yesterday.
    Didn't go that far. Mine was actually a simpler idea.

Sorry about the shitty pic quality.

6 42 watt CFL's
    1"PVC
    4 Elbows
    3 Lightbulb sockets
    3 Y adapters
    1 Lamp cord
    Electrical Tape

One of the CFL's were faulty so i put a small one in there for the time being.

[​IMG]

I ran the wiring through the inside of the PVC so i didnt have wires everywhere. I have Y adapters in every socket.

[​IMG]

Then i ran the lamp cord out of the bottom corner nearest the hole that my lights run from.

5. Very nice 818! Hmmm, I would do that, but I'm just not confident in my electrical skills... Might cause a fire knowing my luck :smoke:
    Nice idea dude, i like it!:D

6. Now just attach a turkey baking pan to the back for a reflector ;-)

7. You should post your fan setup :D

8. if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost u a month to run just those lights.

9. Hey i found your thread stumbling around the forum in class. Between my roommate and I we run over 900 actual watts of cfl bulbs between our grows. Our bill went up about 25 dollars a month. Our bill is still equal to that of others in our apt complex because we swapped all the bulbs in the house out for low watt cfl bulbs. Everything in the complex uses traditional 60watt bulbs so our total usage is about the same as my neighbor who still using 60watt incandescent bulbs.

10. I'm not sure if you've said this, but where do you get the bulb attachment to fit into powerboard?

bulb>fitting>powerboard???

11. you can get them at walmart or lowes for around a dollar^

12. I went to home depot today, found the fitting for the bulb to the powerboard. It was labeled as "outlet to socket adapter". I found them on the ailse called electrical fittings. It took some looking around but it wasn't too difficult. If you really can find them i'd just ask somebody, and if they ask you why you want it, which they probably won't, just say you don't know and you uncle/cousin/brother etc. ask you to pick some up for them.
    (pardon the spelling) :)

13. #55 JamisDakarXLT, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
    Depending on what size light bulbs you buy, you need to arrange them so they will fit side by side.
    I used 3 100 watt (26 actual watt) cfl's plugged into 1 power strip that had 6 or 7 outlets. I had to use electrical tape to pull two of the plug in outlets together towards each other so one of them didnt touch on the third bulb. Its crowded and I think you will find this out.

The powers strips usually have two holes on the back to allow you to hang them on screw heads that you drill into a wall. I attached mine to 2x4's with the help of zip-ties.
    [​IMG]

I used screw-eyes screwed into the wood frame to secure a piece of rope that I attatched a 30in. piece of chain purchased by the foot from Lowes. This allows me to raise and lower the lighting unit in increments as little as 1/2 in. My closet rod is 54in. high. My bucket was 14in high and I had plenty of rope and chain
    [​IMG]

You've got to screw in an eye-screw to the ceiling or the clothes rod in your closet/grow area. Then you use an -S- hook to attatch the chain(s) to the screw eye on your ceiling.
    [​IMG]

14. #56 JamisDakarXLT, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    Also, I just finished testing a PC Fan carbon scrubber prototype. They hold 5 pounds of activated carbon. 1.5 in. thick.
    The pc fans I sourced are what is really exciting. I use a lower volt power source though to make the actual performance specs more appropriate for a small grow tent or closet.

Heres the specs from the manufacturer for their 120mm fan:
    -Each fan weighs almost a pound (14 oz)! And the plastic is Engineering Grade Plastic!
    -Rated Voltage : 48 VDC
    -Operating Voltage Range : 24~55.2 VDC
    -Starting Voltage : 24 VDC (25℃ POWER ON/OFF)
    -Rated Speed : 4000 RPM ± 10%
    -Air Delivery : 200 CFM
    -Static Pressure : 0.70 Inch-H2O, or 17.78mm
    -Rated Current : 0.39 AMP
    -Rated Power : 18.7 WATTS
    -Noise Level : I'm not listing the manf. specs here because I dont have prototype specs yet. Pm me.
    -Direction of Rotation : Counter-clockwise viewed front fan blade
    -Operating Temperature : -10 to +70 Deg.C
    -Storage Temperature : -40 to +70 Deg.C
    -Bearing System : Precise ball bearing system

I havent plugged in the formulas yet, but I know the power source I use is rated at 30v. And I had no issues with the fan overheating pulling air through the carbon for one month.

[​IMG]
    These are absoulutely fully operable pc fan carbon scrubbers. I think the prototype is awesome when you realize what this offers to closet and private growers. You need to "change" your grow rooms air content once every 5 minutes. Bigger units in the industry are super expensive starting at $80 or so, and they are kinda' overkill with their high CFM ratings. Whats important is this units static pressure rating. It is 17.78 mm. manufacturer specs with a 48v power source.
    It is'nt loud loud. You can hear it working, so......if stealth is priority and security is an issure, I would just swap out the 30v for a 12v.

-At 200 CFM, the fan will do a 11x11x8 room exchanging the air once every 5 minutes
    [​IMG]

I am sometime later this summer sourcing materials to make handsome pc fan carbon scrubbers ( I will use perforated unobtanium ). I've thought about polishing them to a shine with a polishing wheel and ruge or paste. Like on E-Bay.
    I have spent $70 so far on it.
    What do you think about it? I paid $1 per lb. for the activated carbon. The cheapest price on E-Bay is $25 for 5lbs, so I think this endevor is very interesting.
    feel free to PM me,

**for the moderators, if you feel I should start a new thread and title it carbon scrubber etc. then pm me and I will take care of it.

15. so how many watts are those all together.

16. do you think this is a good unit for veg and Flowering?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_QRorECvo]YouTube - How To Build a CFL Grow Light Fixture - CHEAP![/ame]

17. I think so, its underpowered though! General rule of thumb is 100 actual watts for evry 1 plant. He has only 84 watts.
    Also, his lighting unit is very well put together. U couls get away with taking a few shortcuts like not using wire nuts(use electrical tape uinstead)!