DIY Carbon Filter Compendium

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Bohbo, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Nw- Yes absolutely will do what you want it to

2. thank you,
    Im living in an apartment with 2 roommates and one of them is totally against me and my other roommates smoking because hes mormon so i have to worry about him not finding out haha! smell is the only way he would figure out im growing unless he raids my dresser

3. No sweat. Yeah you could do the carbon filter for the main smell or whatever. And then if any escapes out space. You could maybe use like ONA odor gel removed type deals. Or like plug ins by the door exiting your room. Just in case. So that if the carbon filter doesn't remover all or some escapes you have that as a backup. Now what you can do also is this Make a filter box type of deal. You could find plenty of info about it. Basically. All the smell gets vented into the box and carbon filter in the box filters and pushes clean non smelly air out. This way. All the smelly air goes into box first and then filters and out. Maybe it could work for you since you want to be sure. I don't know I'm just throwing out ideas for you. Maybe you will figure something out or get some
    *light bulb* in your head. Just my 2 cents

4. This is great, on my must do project list. What I like about it is it looks very professional and not cobbled. Rep to the Bohbo

5. This is the greatest dyi project I ever tried and if works props to you my brother

6. I just built this filter, and my cab is a rubbermaid storage cabinet with adjustable shelves (approx. 2.5 wide x 1.5 deep x 3 ft. tall) with doors like a side by side refrigerator. The only fan I have is an exhaust fan, and it's a Thermaltake 120mm axial (package says it's rated at 2.97mm h2o. My intake is passive, at the bottom of the cab in the back. It does just fine pulling through this filter. I use cfl lights so heat is not a big issue for me. The biggest issue I had was finding the 2 different sizes of cups. I just got 2 of the same size and cut one with tin snips to fit inside the other one. Cut it straight down the side and around the bottom rim, discard bottom of cut cup, then put the sides of the cup you just cut back together, overlapping them so that the cup becomes smaller than the other one. I used staples poked through the mesh and bent to fasten them together. It works if you pay attention to detail, seal it up well, and keep a nose on the situation. You will know when to change the carbon if you grow Sour Diesel in your house. ;)

7. #167 bubblekarma, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
    Edit: Wrong thread, whoops.

8. #168 WhatDoIKnow, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    Posted this in the main Indoor forum before finding this DIY section.

I am trying to do plenty of research and get everything ligned up before my first grow this Spring. I have an idea for a baffled carbon filter box, and was wondering what others thought.

This small 2 plant grow will be in a basement, and I will be able to vent outside. Living in town, smell control is a priority.

Using a small Rubermaid container, activated carbon, and a fan to "pull" air through, I was wondering if something like this would work. The activated carbon media should be porous enough to draw air through.

Red arrows is the air flow, gray is activated carbon. Should be able to stir the carbon up with a stick a few times to refresh.  I may supplement with a ONA bucket also.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the quick MS Paint job.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

9. I'm looking to make one of these but can't find the mesh pen cups anywhere in the UK. Anyone know where I can find some or anything else I can use? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. [quote name="RouxJr" post="19436178" timestamp="1391108531"]I'm looking to make one of these but can't find the mesh pen cups anywhere in the UK. Anyone know where I can find some or anything else I can use? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk[/quote]Go look in a hardware store. Look for fencing, they should have multiple type of metal wire fence. You can then roll it on itself and voilà! It will be much cheaper in the long run too.

11. [quote name="RouxJr" post="19436178" timestamp="1391108531"]I'm looking to make one of these but can't find the mesh pen cups anywhere in the UK. Anyone know where I can find some or anything else I can use? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk[/quote]Amazon?

12. [quote name="emilystrange" post="19441311" timestamp="1391180526"]Amazon?[/quote]Nope, not in the UK. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. I bought cooker extractor carbon filter I bought of ebay

14. Seems like you'd need a strong-CFM fan for something like that (w/ all those passes through solid!) Also, looks like you'd have unused carbon in the corners when air takes easiest route. What if you used PVC elbows to better 'streamline' the air; would this sacrifice on noise tho?

I'm working on my DIY filter today.. It consists of 100% Walmart parts for <$25! Check out the MEAT of the project,

...My cricket cage ($3.96 on Rollback):
    [​IMG]
    It has a 4.5" opening on top w/ a removable plastic insert or 'bushing'(if u will). I'm gonna wrap window screen 'round the insert and voila.

15. Steps are kind of hard to follow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. You just stole my thunder… LoL
    I read this thread with great exuberance till I realized it was designed to fit onto a 4" duct pipe.
    So I look to my immediate left and I see the Pencil cage that Bohbo used for the larger piece.
    I was thinking about my bait bucket or something then it popped into my head… cricket basket.
    Looked it up on bass pro and said YES.
    Went to my LHS (local hardware store) and picked op a cricket cage and a 6"
    tabbed flange.

Attached Files:

17. Flattened all the tabs, carefully pulled on the top rim of the basket and got it off, drilled 2 holed in the tabs and attached with 2 screws.
    You can see that there will be almost 3/4" thick layer of carbon between the 2 baskets.
    Nice and compact too !

Attached Files:

18. So..... Is it working well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ingenious! dude thank you, fortunately I have all of these items at home $$$