DIY Carbon Filter Compendium

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Bohbo, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Outside. Are they safe to put inside?

2. [quote name='"cobound420"']Outside. Are they safe to put inside?[/quote]

You could put the fan inside and put the carbon filter on the intake for the fan and run the exhaust to the outside. I've seen people do this before. Just an idea

3. I have this on the intake of my light. It exhausts outside. Does the job very well. The only scent that escapes is that of fresh plants, and even that is faint. Love it! Made mine with plastic net pots for a 6" hole but if you can, stick with the metal. The carbon wont move around as easily as in the plastic.

4. How big of a plant will one of these be good for?

5. I had mine made from a 6in net pot that did 15 plants in full bloom. Had to change it sooner than three months but that was for security. Where we are now, that won't be a problem.

6. looks fully awesome mate, i saw something similar a while back and really wanted to build it.

Im from the UK however and things like that are hard to come by, been searching for weeks for a suitable dual cup solution i can try that with...

7. This is a great thread with puffs to bohbo

Lately I've been looking at cold air intakes for my truck and the thought occurred to me (somewhat hazily) that it might be possible to modify an air filter cone and pack it with charcoal hmmm hmmm
    The filters fit different diameters so well maybe it's a pipe dream but seems this thread is open source and evolving and only gets better with more input so that's my input
    Btw I'll build bohbo's filter first then look at the air intake idea next not trying to reinvent the wheel thanks GC and bohbo
    Csi is on gtg

8. Actually, tinori, I had the same thought. I bet you could. I thought it was in here, but I read somewhere that someone used a car air filter (cone shapped), filled it with carbon, and connected it.

9. 2 year oId thread but I just made one of Bohbos filters, so here's my personal experience with it. I was searching for a DIY carbon filter design I can use in my veg cab and this looked perfect. So I followed all of the instructions except one modification I had to make - Staples doesn't seem to be selling the smaller pencil cup any more. I checked 2 stores and online and they're non existent. So improvised and bought 3 of the "small storage" cups from Staples. I stacked them on top of each other as they fit well like that and drilled a shit load of holes in all the bottoms. The stack fits snug into the large pen cup with about 3/4 of an inch space between the big cup for the carbon. So I figure this would be a suitable replacement for the smaller one. Shaking the carbon into place was tricky while keeping the stack together but I managed to get the filter all set up. I installed it directly to my 90cfm 4" S&P fan in the cab. Basically the air the fan moves was cut down by about half and the cabs temp went up 4 degrees. Not a blow I can take so unfortunately this filter is useless. I don't see how the mod I made would cause the filter to be so lackluster or if I did anything else wrong.

Attached Files:

10. What are the plastic PVC rings that turn and lock into place called? On the first page

11. should i feel air being pushed out the end of the filter?

12. From everything I've found through my research, it's better to PULL through the filter rather than push through. Know what I'm sayin?

13. Nice improvisation. I was wondering the same thing. I have yet to make one, but I LOVE this scrubber idea. But I was having trouble finding the smaller cups and trying to figure out a workaround. You just gave me one. Thanks.

14. Is this just for micro grows? Im about to use it for my veg room, which im sure it can do since there are no flowers. It is 2x4x4 with a 190 cfm inline fan. Gonna build one for a drying rack as well. Im wondering if I can run one of these in my 4x4x6.5 flower room. 1000w hps with a 225 cfm fan running through a hood. Im using a professional mountain air filter rated for 200cfm ATM that will need replaced soon for the flower room.

15. [quote name='"blackfrancis"']great post will be building one soon. Just thought I would let everyone know, I found a high static pressure 120 mm pc fan that pulls 133 cfm. Its a scythe ultra kaze

here is a link Scythe Ultra Kaze 120MM High Static Pressure Fan 38MM 3000RPM 133.6CFM 45.9DBA - Scythe - DFS123812H-3000

I used it for veg and it was pulling my door shut on my 3x2x3 cab. Lots of pressure!!

bit loud but powerful for a budget fan. Also you might be able to add a muffler or something.[/quote]

Wow thanks! Ive been looking for something like this!!!!!!!!

16. #157 JamisDakarXLT, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
    Here is a link to 17oz bottles of brand new activated carbon For Sale that are compatible with scrubbers. Cheaper than Wal-Mart, E-bay. FREE and Fast shipping, and there's a discount in price when you buy more than a couple lbs. ( 17oz = $8.45, just so you know :) )

Click on Link to go to the Store: It's legit and safe
    Link: tampabaytrader

17. Great tut! Thanks!

18. Hey i know this is ancient but that looks like it works beautifully and its meant to be bcuz i was thinking of making 4" fans! but quick question by "smelling delightful" do you mean it still smells like weed or it just smells clean,no weed smell tho?

19. so im kinda a noob to growing so please bear with me. If I put this on my exhaust fan so the fan is pulling the air through it, will it elliminate the smell? im running a dresser grow with led's so it stays cool and my intake is just a passive intake so will the smell leak through that also?