DIY Carbon Filter Compendium

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Bohbo, Mar 20, 2010.

1. The DIY filter could also be built with any type of sturdy cone that could be drilled out with a ton of holes in it, slots cut in it, etc. Since the panty hose keeps the small particulate in it's proper place, the only consideration would be that the cone be very smooth after the drilling in order to keep the panty hose material intact when stretching it over.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say PVC pipe would be great since it's going to be easier to remove the burrs, etc.

Another thought, just do the one DIY filter that uses a carbon activated impregnated, flexible filter that you can wrap around a frame...

Hope that helps

2. just make a custom shape with wire mesh, its the best route to take

3. Where would I get that? Would chicken wire work? I get the idea, and how it works, maybe a trip to some various stores would give me ideas. Thabks

4. How would u strap two of these bad bitches together? one might be enough but to be on the safe side i want to over kill everything when it comes to smell.:smoke: I wonder if staples bussiness has increased because of this post. hahaha

5. Hey great post! I'm currently making a pc grow box and just to go the extra mile I'm thinking about putting two of these on the back. However the two larger fans I have are these:

NMB TECHOLOGIES|3610KL-04W-B40P00|AXIAL FAN, 92MM, 12VDC, 220mA | Newark.com

^^ is 92mm and has a cfm of 47.6

3" x 3" (80mm) Sunon KD1209PTS2 Case Fan w/3-Pin Connector (Black) KD1209PTS2

^^ is 80mm and has a cfm of 44

Both of these fans were taken out of older PCs, will they work well with this filter? I'm planning on mounting both of them on the inside of the box blowing out the back, then mounting the filters on the outside of the box. What do you think?

Happy growing/toking everybody! :smoke:

6. This is a great looking filter, going to make one in a minute. Do I drill holes in the bottom of both the inner and outter 'cups'??

Thanks

7. I'm a little confused ... how many pencil holders are you actually using here? I'm thrown off I think due to the colors of the pencil holders in your photos ... it seems like you're drilling holes in two and then using a third, uhm but maybe I'm wrong and you only need two?

8. Yes you only need two.

9. Awsome post man I give you serious props on this one; you effectively have confirmed what I have been theorizing for a couple of months. I saw the price of a carbon filter and about had a heart attack, thus i have come to the conclusion that I would have to do it myself.

10. i did this exactly how it shows, its just like he says. immediate results.

11. Awesome glad to hear it!

12. Will a 12v pc fan be strong enough to suck air through this filter?

13. Very doubtful imo but worth a try. If you could get the carbon nice and thin it might work. 12v fan? not 5v? Give it a shot and give us a report.

14. I don't know mate I'm still trying to design my grow box the filter/exhaust thing is the bit I'm struggling with

I'm making a small grow box, couple lowryders, what sort of ventilation would you suggest?

15. You could start with 120mm fans, I would do a 4" Vortex style fan pulling air through filter. Put the filter on one end of the line. Fan as close to exhaust as possible and you should be okay.

16. What if I were to use smaller pencil holder cups and place it in front of a 120mm fan to exhaust. Would the 120mm fan be strong enough to pull through it? Also am making a Stealth PC Grow Box.

17. Give it a try and give us a report! I think some people have had some success with that type of design.

18. It's not a complete compendium if you don't add carbon filters made out of shop vac filters.

19. #100 Bohbo, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
    Wow... um nice first post. Why don't you share this amazing knowledge with us and post one here. I don't feel like dealing with a troll so if thats the agenda best to piss off now.

If you are actually trying to be constructive then I apologize and encourage you to share with us rather than discrediting something that others have found very useful.

EDIT: HA! and this was my 2000th post, how appropriate.