DIY Carbon Filter Compendium

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Bohbo, Mar 20, 2010.

1. very nice +rep
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. This is AWESOME, and will work great on my exhaust which is in my attic. My plants are still just little things right now, but I am going to get this built now.

-JJ

3. Added a new design and renamed the thread to better represent what it has become.

EDIT: hmm apparently I can't rename it. Maybe I need a moderator to change it since it is a sticky.

4. Dude this is god-like.

DIY! For the win.

how long does it last?

Im gonna be using a Dresser for my stealth grow.

5. I am about to use it on its 2nd run. I would expect it to last 2-3 runs without replacing carbon but not sure.

6. Aight Fasho thanks. and its as easy as refilling it huh?

7. Yep just refill it like you were building for first time.

8. Great thread !
    + rep

9. I built one of these over the weekend and it works great. Only thing is that it's causing too much flow restriction on my little fan and the temps are hitting low-mid 90s. What CFM/brand/type fan do you recommend for someone, like myself, using one of these scrubbers in a 2x2x3 grow box running about 200W? I've got the 90W LEF UFO light, which produces barely any heat, and I've got 2 CFLs at 65W I believe... these heat up. Would a decent 4" booster fan work ok?

10. I would say a 4" booster fan at the very least.

11. Thanks! Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Anything I should be avoiding?

12. You need a bit of static pressure to combat the resistance of the filter. Personally if you have invested as much as you have in LED lighting and a couple not cheap CFLs I would get a real fan. I personally Like the S&P fans because they are low power and quiet and a good mix of static pressure and CFM (I think they call it MixVent) essentially they are centrifugal / axial hybrids. A TD-100X will run you about $80 and will do more than enough as a low wattage and low decibel level.

13. Hey Bohbo,

Thanks for all the help with fan selection. I ran into a cheap 120mm fan with a relatively high static pressure rating that seems to work pretty well. I had such a huge problem getting a carbon filter to work with my size restrictions. I posted a DIY thread for the filter. Take a look and let me know what you think.

DIY Carbon Filter for 120 mm Fan

14. #54 Tripace, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010

Hey, I've been posting in there, but couldn't seem to find decent fans for it, I'm prolly gonna go with an inline fan outside of my growbox to pull the air through the filter.

Then something else I picked up at walmart, in the crafting section, was some polyfill. There was a HUGE gap between the bottoms of the pencil cups, so I stuffed a bunch of the polyfill between the bottom of the small pencil cup and the hose on it, either that or it would be wasting alot more carbon inside there than is needed. Then you put the jumbo pencil cup inside the other hose, put the carbon inside it, and then you can get a third hose and stuff some polyfill on the outside of the large cup to hold the fill there, it acts as the prefilter to keep dirt from getting inside the carbon. The large ones always have the white filter layer outside, thats the same thing.

Great filter Bohbo, I made mine today! Now I just need to get my cabinet I'm gonna use to grow, then a fan to go with the filter, then some lights... lol, yeah I'm a long way from needing it, but hey once I do need it at least I've got it ready to go!

15. #55 Tripace, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010

That fan sounds a bit on the expensive side. Wouldn't this do the trick?
    Shop SUNCOURT 4" In-Line Double Crimped Duct Fan at Lowes.com

I plan on mounting the fan outside the box, the filter inside, then some flexible aluminum ducting to a window fan like this:
    [​IMG]To exhaust the air outside.

Oh and this is what I plan on using as my grow box, after modifying it a bit of course, gonna spraypaint it white inside(maybe a bit redunant since I'll also be using mylar, but the plastic on these can let some light through, so the paint will help with that if nothing else).
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-2-Shelf-Storage-Cabinet/8206250

16. Great, simple engineering.. I hope I can rig my vent system with such ease as this. BUT one question really.. I understand at some point it needs refilling.. what are some signs? and where does the "Scrubbing" come into play?? Thanks

17. Good question, I'm not exactly most experienced. but from what I've read if it starts smelling like flowering weed outside the grow area again, then it's time to refil? I think for most professional models, Jorge Cervantes reccomends a change every 6 months or so, but this small of one, I'd guess it might be more frequent, of course that depends how many plants, and/or the size of your grow space I'm sure.
    As far as scrubbing, it's not literal, just the fact that activated carbon cleans the air of pollutants and toxins(I.E. the smell of flowering bud), kinda like how it cleans nasty tasting city water in a water filter.

18. Very helpful, ty :)

19. I am interested if that duct booster will have enough static pressure for filter. Let us know.

20. #60 Tripace, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010

I thought that's what I'd always read, was use an inline fan with carbon filters. Course they're talking about the expensive ones you have to buy, not one you've made at home, but if anything those would require more static pressure from the fan, cause they're freaking huge, right? LOL

Oh I see theyre talking about these inline fans:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DH1JF0G61Z30RFWTESZ