DIY Carbon Filter Compendium

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Bohbo, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Thank you brother, great thread.

2. I made one. It cost me a bit more , But it worked perfectly, no smell on my exhaust now.

I bought to much carbon , it was 20$ alone, but i have enough to refill it about 12 times :)

But it was all made for < 40 dollars, So it was still a good deal considering the amount of refills i will have.

I'm impressed with what a small amount of the carbon will do !

Thanks !

3. Congrats Bohbo!!!!:hello::hello::hello::hello:

4. Nice one +rep!:D

5. Sup Boh....Just looking at your DIY. Did mine exactly the same and it works great. I found that you need some holes on the bottom of the inside cup so the air pushes all the way through past the carbon on the bottom of the big cup. It worked a lot better for me and air flow increased.

Also my scrubber is at the end of the exhaust hose up in the attic.

6. Glad you said that. It makes sense.

7. I added an Optional Step 0 for drilling holes and I added an inline installation in original post. Thanks for feedback.

8. Just a heads up, i'm going to be making one of these bad boys in an hour or so.

9. Started flowering a few days ago and the smell was getting bad. I was using a amall Ona block and also a bucket and a muffin fan with some pro ona gel for the last week. I was hoping the Ona would absorb some of the smell not just mask it, like it did. Smelled like skunk scented laundry! So I just made one of these bad boys! I bought everything exactly from the instructions and had a hard time finding the smaller cup for the middle. I checked a few Staples and Office Depot's, with no luck. Finally found it yesterday at Office Max, perfect fit! There is absolutely no smell now! So impressed! We'll see how it holds up through the end of my grow.

Cheers to Bohbo! :hello:

10. Awesome Jamie, glad it worked well for you. Yeah let everyone know the CFM of your fan and about how long it lasts for you.

Same thing happened to me looking for the smaller size, I found it at KMart and Office max only too places I could find it.

11. stellar post. i've been reading my ass off for a couple weeks, gathering as much info as i can before i begin building my box. definitely going to be adding this to my list! i'll be using a stealth dresser setup, and was concerned about smelly exhaust. props! (and rep!)

12. very nice! Im heading to the store n ow to get supplies!

+rep

thanks!

13. I edited the first post to better reflect The City's DIY Odor control projects posted by other Blades. If you make a new design or improve an existing one post it here, or you can start a new thread and post link to it here.

14. We have very similar setups now Bohbo, very nice! Love my S&P mixvent, they're so quiet! And I too used the Staples jumbo for my filter :D

You seem to have complicated the filter more than necessary. Nothing wrong with a little over-engineering, though - it's just extra work :p At first, as you can see by the links below, that was my game plan too. Over a year later, I've simplified quite a bit. No drills, no frills - I just take the mesh cup and put some not-so-sexy ladies hosiery over, zip-tie/silicone at each end, then fold the pantyhose back over itself, fill with carbon, zip-tie again, and seal. Quickly accomplished, no metal filings or noise, and simple refills (5 minutes, new panties/carbon/zips). Here you can see the comparison between the designs. Obviously I have a push-thru setup for noise/light reasons, but this can be used as a pull-type just as easily.

Anyway, here's a link for my first (overcomplicated) Pull-tye Centrifugal PC scrubber setup, it works quite well for the small amperage/size/CFM of the unit. Much better than the axial versions - believe me, I've tried those too. At one point I had 3 of these fans venting 150-250 watts of CFL in my 2x2x2 cab with temps around 8f over ambient. Now I'm running HPS, with my S&P as the primary through a cool-tube. I use 2 of the little centrifugal blowers at variable voltage as a secondary exhaust when needed on hot days (also good for controlling RH at night, I've found). The HPS setup runs cooler than the CFL setup did, for sure.

So that's my two cents man - hope it helps. I've certainly learned a lot using so many different setups in a small cab. From this experience, I think the 4" system using HPS in a cool-tube/vented hood with secondary PC fans is the way to go for me. Good luck, and grow on... +rep for a good thread! :wave:

15. @itsmysubaru

I like it, I will add it to the list... however your materials shot is a bit overwhelming. If at all possible maybe clean that single pic up.

16. Thanks man, that thread is more about the journey, I guess you could say :rolleyes: I was really dis-organized at the start, and narrowed things down as I went. My old scrubber (the one you're talking about), as I said in the post, is way over engineered... the new ones are much easier to make, with far fewer materials/tools. I guess I could grab a few shots when I do my next refill, but their construction is really pretty self explanatory:

The materials are as follows: Mesh cup, zip ties, ladies hose, carbon, and silicone (optional).

Thanks again, I'll be sure to take shots the next time I refill my simpli-filters.

17. Ah i get it, yeah if you have a link to the page where you show how to build the new one I will add that page as the link instead.

18. Not a prob man, I'll make sure I document and then link you when I refill next... :wave:

19. So how is this working out? did it stomp out the stink or does it still smell a bit? I was about to buy a carbon filter when I found this.

20. Took care of my odor problems. I used it last grow and i am about to start flowering again with same carbon probably won't be stinky for a few weeks though. If you want a longer lasting one = more carbon = bigger check the top of the 1st post there are links to several other designs that might fit your application better. Worth giving them all a read.