DIY Bubble Cloner / Veg Bucket and Using it

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by RobsGreen, May 3, 2008.

1. And this is how a clone looks just as its popping roots. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. congrat'd you for rootage on your other thread!

3. RobsGreen-So i built my own bucket. And after about 10 hours the clones still dont look that good :( i have a couple questions:
    Should my stems be hanging in the water or just being splashed by the bubbles?
    how much light are you using? Im using the perimeter light of my 400w MH about 2.5 feet away..do you think thats too far?
    Also is the humidity dome necessary? My RH ranges from 40-50 in the room.
    Thanks alot! and great intructions it was really easy to follow. I included some pics to make it easier to trouble shoot

Attached Files:

4. dunno if the machine "needs" a dome but your clones look like they could use one....

gl!

5. yea thats what i was thinking.. they look like shit

6. Hi PURPLE_TREES, cloner looks good, I hope those babies stood up for you? Thats how mine went but they did stand back up. They should be in the water 1-3" and you might want to get some light right above them. You shouldn't need a dome over them but it can only help. I left mine as yours are in 25% humidity and they've all rooted today. Hope all goes well.

7. Hey rob green! So today i checked my babies and they all stood up! they look great. i guess they just needed some time. Thanks for the help!
    -PT

o and how many days did they take to root

8. Right on PURPLE_TREES, thats great news! Yeah you have to give them a bit of time to recover from the move it seems. I'm pretty sure a lot of people have thrown out good clones because they looked dead.

It took 9 days to show roots and today has been day 11, they look great, I'll post a pic later.

9. And here's some roots, 10 for 10 with no experience, doing nothing and not having the healthiest plants to take clones from, a bubble cloner is the way to go!

Day 12
    [​IMG]

10. good job man!

that bubble cloner looks like a nice solution!

11. daamn.... wonderful roots man!!!

i dont know why but cloner that i built
    didnt worked so well - my clones didnt root at all)))
    i guess thats becouse of rockwool thay stood in
    ill try holding em like u do and keeping em under the water next time

P

12. just tackled this same project myself and stole alot of your ideas! :D lol hope you don't mind but u did a great job so..
    so far i already ran into one problem, the air pump i got isnt as strong as i'd like, its only a 1 psi with a 6" airbar. i'm going to triple it up and get the 3psi pump and another tee off the line with another airstone for full coverage.

once i throw it all together i will probably post pics ^_^

thanks for doing this thread!

13. congrats on those roots robsgreen! looks great

14. nice "wrong thread, lol" deletion RG

15. hey screwdababylon!, damm man I just seen your post I would have responded to it. Sorry to hear your clones didn't root, it was more then likely the rockwool that caused the problem. I've recently learned that if rockwool stays too moist then roots won't grow. Thats why people have more problems cloning with rockwool, they keep it too wet or let it dry out completely. My #2 plant didn't grow for the first 3-4 weeks at all, I thought it was from a quick couple hours of heat stress but now I believe it was because I kept the rockwool to wet. I'm very confident if you use the bubble method everything will go good and it'll be super easy, if it doesn't your clones are on me. :D

Hey khronkaiser (or should I say stoner :D) Glad you were able to make use of the thread and I wish I could say all this was my ideas but of course we know it isn't. The first air pump I got for this thing was also to small, those things just don't do much, need at least the 80-100g pumps. Now I have 5 pumps and no fish. lol But yeah you definitely need lots of bubbles, can't have enough. Definitely post some pics of it so others can see different models. :D

Thanks PURPLE_TREES, they sure did shoot out fast once they popped. Today there about 18" long. I'll be switching to the other lid in a day or 2, I couldn't find hydroton so I'm going to use lavarock which I finally got. I'll post some pics of them then. I also added a drain system now that I know this thing works good.

Extracurricular, smoke another one buddy. LOL :bongin:

16. youll be posting that update in the right thread this time, right? lmao

and wow 18" already? jeeeez dude. you are pro at cloning already!

17. damn that is crazy root length.. you gotta transplant those bad girls

18. well i went and got a pump that has 2 outlets and triple the pressure from the original i had bought and its the same manufacturer... im still not pleased!! :(

i'm still going to use this one (Elite 802) in conjunction with a new one (going to try the Tetra Whisper 60g or100g) when i get the funds.. already spent 100$ this week on new hydro goodies for my main setup. Which is fine because i dont plan on cloning my NL mother until around next pay day :p

I figure if i setup 4 air stones around the 4corners/edges of the container and run them off of the elite then run a my 6" airbar in the centre from the tetra whisper it should be substantial.

I'm going to post pics later tonight of what i have so far, if i can snatch the digi from the little lady :S !

cheers!

19. ah I was playing about 18", thats for beginners, these are at about 29" & 35". :p Crazy stuff how quick they grow. The bubble cloners making me look good, glad I choose it. :D

khronkaiser that sucks the new pump isn't what you want yet, what size tub are you using? I have a whisper 60 & 100, the 100 is much better then the 60, I'm not that pleased with the 60. I'm using it right now on the cloner. I wanted to get another 100 but I could only find a 60 locally and needed it right away. Guess I'll be ordering up a 6th one sometime soon. I believe my whisper 100 is the best pump I have but it could be the silent x5, lol. I think lots of bubbles are important, all the clones on the very edge of my cloner had the least roots and they got a little less bubbles.

I did the transplant tonight into 6" net pots using lava rock, all went well. Here's some pics along the way. :smoking:

Before I started. This pic also has the extra plumbing I added just after the roots all showed. I built a small shelf that has a 1/2" pvc pipe running under it connected to the button of the tub. It has a ball valve with a quick connect to hook up a pump. I'll use it just for draining , gravity fills it just fine.
    [​IMG]

Here's the 35" roots, couldn't get them all in one pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they sit in lid #2
    [​IMG]

Area 1

[​IMG]

Area 2
    [​IMG]

Here's the clones I have left, I planted 3 of them outside already and the front 3 will be going out in the next day or 2. The 2 in the back are staying and I'll be choosing one of them as a mom. The 2 in the vegger I'll hopefully keep there for 6 weeks.
    [​IMG]