DIY: Best Cool Tube

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Mystic, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Yup got it off Ebay for $28 with shipping. Search for "pyrex bake tube" there's tons.

2. I found on another site, (don't recall which right now), where a member is using this setip with a 1000 watt hps, he writes that it fits and has no temp problems whatsoever.

3. +rep my friend, awesome DIY tutorial :D

4. So I took some temps of my cool tube running a 600 watt hps (95,000 lumens) and got 106F exiting tube and 126F 8" below tube. The tube and all asociated parts were cool enough to handle with bare hands. I see no problem running this 24/7. Also this was only hooked to 4" ducting and a 4" inline fan, not some giant air sucker, so temps could probably be a lot lower depending on fan type!

5. That above post should have read a 4" in-line DUCT fan, (which probably would have a very short life span with those temps running through it). I have also now ran this with a 4" 160cfm exhaust fan and got 86.9F exiting the tube and 108.6F @ 8" below tube, that's a big difference between the two fans and will let me run the light much closer for better results.

6. I can't seem to find the cafe rod brackets anywhere at lowes/home depot. Is there another hardware that sells this piece?

7. There at home depot I wanna say its in the cabinet/blind section. Ask them they will point you in the right direction I had problems finding them when I was there also.

8. #50 tnluong84, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
    So i found the rod brackets at ace hardware, but there are 2 sizes: 7/16" and 5/8" diameter. Which one should i get?
    Also, I can't seem to find a mogul lamp socket big enough to fit my 400w hps. For those with 400w or 600w cool tubes, did you all use the socket from your current system or did you guys buy it from a store? I searched everywhere at Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware but couldn't seem to find one big enough for my light. So I searched on ebay and came upon this listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Porcelain-Lamp-Holders-Mogul-Base-socket-with-bracket_W0QQitemZ280330112629QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item280330112629&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

It seems like Type 1 would fit my bulb. Can someone please take a look and confirm that I'm buying the right one.
    Please help me out

9. I think you could drop those temps much more...I run a 188CFM to pull the air through my 600W, I can get plants very close now, where before plants were burning within 14" of my old reflector and it was vented too. I used 10 feet of ducking so I could have the intake pulling in air from as low as possible, that little change helped alot......

10. awesome bro! glad u posted this.... gives some good ideas!

11. Great thread! I think I'll do this...when I have money for making a HID. I just wanted to expand on the idea of using a hurricane candle shade for a larger diameter. I just popped that into google and found a site that sells the contoured ones, as well as a straight tube design. Here is a link to that:
    Connie's Creations Candles - Hurricane Globes & Shades

Obviously go wherever you want for it, I just didn't even think that there would be a straight-shot one. :)

12. Excellent tutorial. Well thought out, simply written and excellent pictures. +rep

Question: How big of a bulb can you use without a ballast?

13. would you be losing light through that glass?

14. your construction was thought out up to the point when you wired the socket with basic extension cord( not smart ) reason i bring this up its not rated for high temps at the base of a light bulb , get your self some fixture wire its rated for high temps and this type of situation, leave your self a good 6-8 inches to get away from the socket and butt splice or wire nut the cord on to the short leads called fixture wire you just attached to the socket base , basic house hold 3 wire extension cords will eventually get brittle and brake possibly causing a short and leading to a fire (sparks in a tube getting sucked into who knows what) just trying to air on the side of caution here not trying to down your DIY but a little more work and you would almost have a UL approved light fixture ..

15. i just paid $9.00 for a new Bake-a-round tube on ebay and will be trying this real soon.

Thanks for the info. :cool:

16. This is awesome! I know what my next project is...
    Thanks for sharing!

17. order the bake around today , will post as soon as I start my project

18. Anyone know the inside diameter of the bake a round? I'd like to order one today but I want to make sure my MH bulb will fit. All the descriptions say 3 1/4 inches, but I don't know if that's inside or outside diameter.

This guy cut a vase with yarn and lighter fluid. I might try this is I can't find anything else. Does non-tempered glass have any adverse effect?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9etHD9F90E]Part 2 DIY cool tube - YouTube[/ame]