DIY 150w - 300w HPS

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jcj77d, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Ok this is an DIY 150w HPS light made from a 150w hps security flood light. as of now it is 150 watts, but will be adding another 150w hps to the other end for a total of 300 watts.
    Materials:
    The Security Light: Free
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plastic Hospital Basin: Free - (or any plastic tub of your choise)
    Used to make the Hood
    [​IMG]
    Ceramic Light Socket: $1.99
    [​IMG]
    White Engine Enamel Paint w/ Cermaic (500F): $2
    Used to paint the plastic basin (hood) to protect the plastic from melting inside & ouside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Titanium White Paint (2oz): $1.99
    Used to paint over the engine enamel paint for a Super High reflectivity (see my post here http://www.gardenscure.com/420/cons...m-white-titanium-post1083609.html#post1083609 about Titanium White Paint)
    [​IMG]
    Enclosure For Ballast: Free
    I used an old military amo holder my dad had laying around, & painted it black, drilled proper holes for wires, & transfered the guts of the security light into this & rewired the power & lamp w/ extention cords.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Getting Started:
    Use a hole saw or your choise of tool to cut a hole for the lamp socket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now check the fit of the lamp socket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now Paint the hood w/ the Engine Enamel Paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now repeat this step, but w/ the Titanium White Paint
    Next wire up the socket, drill holes so the hood can be hung w/ something (i used string just to test it, will be useing wire coat hangers to make V hooks to hang it.)
    Finished Product:
    [​IMG]
    see how there is room for another 150w on the other end for a total of 300w
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yes i know i need to apply another coat of paint

2. cool diy! great work man

3. how does the heat do with the plastic?

4. hardy nothing at all b/c of the engine enamel paint w/ cermaic it can handle temps up to 500F, it gets warm, but other than that nothing.

5. man thats gotta be ONE OF THE coolest DIY posts ive seen in a while. i think i might actually have to do this one. THANX ALOT :eek::rolleyes:

6. thanks, wait till u see the mods

7. my pics got lost, but look here 4 Strain HydroHut Grow Setup - The Garden's Cure & its the light hanging in front of the 400w, & the diy 150w looks brighter than the 400w

8. i wish the pics were up. i want to try it.