Distilled Water?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by sunndropper, Sep 11, 2011.

1. I have another thread going right now but I have to ask this question too because I am very puzzled.

The hydro salesman is saying that distilled water is not good for making a nutrient solution out of. I just don't understand because it has 0.0 ppm which is what Dutch Master is telling me to use with their nutrients and additives. So I bought some, "Drinking Water" which is RO water that has had a small amount of minerals put back into it for flavor... and the salesman says to use it.

Does anybody know about this?

The ingredients for the nutrient solution that I think I am going to make are:

Dutch Master GROW-A
    Dutch Master GROW-B
    Dutch Master SILICA
    Dutch Master ADD.27
    House & Garden ROOTS EXCELURATOR
    House & Garden DRIP CLEAN

Thanks!

2. distilled water is the best to use.... but you cannot leave your PH probe submerged in the distilled water for an extended time... it damages the probe

your gut was correct.... R.O. water is just as good... the PPM will be very low

3. Tihspeed,
    I appreciate you telling me that... very much! I now am going to return the, "drinking" water and exchange it for some of the distilled water.

Regarding the pH probe in distilled water, the hydro salesman said the same thing as you. He told me to not store my pH tester in distilled water because doing so would ruin it. And the other hydro guy told me that I could, "test" distilled water but just not to, "store" the pH tester in it. I then replied that I would rinse the tester with tap water after testing distilled water.

I just want to say that it is very nice to have you on this forum. You are a trustworthy source of knowledge and I can't thank you enough!

4. I am storing my sunleaves Expert Plus PH tester in a 7.0 PH storage/calibration solution. I just wanted some verification that this is the best method, with a follow on question of how often should I change the solution its stored in?

5. Does your 7.0 state storage solution?

6. #6 sunndropper, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
    I have an Oakton Eco Testr pH 1 test pen. The hydro guy told me that he stores his in tap water because it is the cheapest. So I have been doing what he does and storing it in tap water. I use the pen every day so it sits in the tap-water when I am not using it. I calibrate this pen with General Hydroponics Standard Reference Solution that is pH 7.0, and the bottle of this reference solution says, "for calibration of pH Meters and electrode storage"

I calibrate this tester every time that I use it. And every time the pH is off. Maybe I should start stroring this pH tester in the reference solution.

7. then start doing that... sounds good...

cut a bit of sponge and stick it in the pen cap.... must be new(sounds better).. this will help ensure the electrode never dries.... helped me out a bunch

8. Just a caution here, and I'm not saying ur doing anything wrong...just a double check deal here.

Ur not supposed to store an electrode in distilled or RO because the extreme concentration difference between the electrode and water causes ions to transfer from electrode to water, thus compromising the future reliability of the electrode.

Most that I have seen recommend storing in a slightly acidic solution (often the 4.01 storage solution )with some measure of ppm. In this way the concentration of ions in the storage solution is appropriate with relation to the concentration in the electrode.

Sometimes, manufacturers recommend starting with the 7.0 and adding a few drops of something else to raise the solute concentration. I'm not saying that's your case, maybe your brand of 7.0 has the right solute concentration already, but you may just want to double check that practice.

9. :metal:Is that Goose from Top Gun?:metal:

10. Sure is....

11. I live in FL where it rains for a half hour every afternoon. I grab 25 gallons of rain water. PH is around 6.2 and the PPM is always 0. :)

12. hey there since you are using the Dutch Master line up might i suggest grabbing some Zone?

It prevents root rot, promotes new root growth and unlike the silica, will make sure your nutes are being properly absorbed. It's to be used with DWC becuase the water gets warm and if too warm the nutes will not be absorbed properly. the zone really helps with this.

Look forward to seeing your progress. good luck!

13. I have some ZONE but somehow, in my DWC system, the roots started getting little brown spots on them. I then added H2O2, not knowing that it cancels out the copper sulfate (the active ingredient in ZONE). This is when the roots got all messed up. So I quickly took some cuttings and trashed the plants. Now I am doing an ebb & flow system with those cuttings, using the Dutch Master nutrients and additives, plus the Roots Excelurator and Drip Clean.

NOTE: I AM NOT GROWING CANNABIS... but I wish that I could. NOTE: I am growing Stevia plants in place of Marijuana. My situation is not permitting me to use and/or grow Cannabis... although I have been smoking Marijuana, on and off since I was fourteen, and was a Medical Marijuana patient for six months. Now I'm stuck here and don't know anyone who will hook me up. I hope that Cannabis will be legalized.

Here are the ingredients of my soup:
    Dutch Master NUTRIENT GROW-A
    Dutch Master NUTRIENT GROW-B
    Dutch Master ADD.27
    Dutch Master SILICA
    House & Garden ROOTS EXCELURATOR
    House & Garden DRIP CLEAN

Here is what I am thinking about adding:
    Advanced Nutrients SENSIZYME

Let me know what you think.

PEACE