Dissolve Shatter into Propylene Glycol?

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by lessthanjeezy, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Hey blades,

Got a decent chunk of some pretty nice shatter and have been taking plenty of dabs and occasionally using it in my pen, although when I was out in Colorado last month, I bought an O pen and one of their cartridges and really loved the ease of use, not having to repack the pen with shatter and the whole no button thing was nice so no accidental pocket hits.

Since those can only be used with e liquid, I have been looking into dissolving some shatter into food grade propylene glycol in either a double boiler or hot plate to keep the temp consistent and then putting the liquid into an empty cartridge for the open.

Has anyone done this before and if so what were the results? The first time I try I am going to use just like .3 of shatter in case it doesnt work well.

Thanks blades.

2. There are at least 10 threads about this.

Can it be done? Yes

How? Idk

3. Very helpful.

I used the search and didn't see a good detailed tutorial so figured I would ask.

Thanks again for all the insight pal.

4. You're welcome, I'm glad o could help!

5. Ej-mix is great to mix oil and shatter

6. Adding terpenes liquifies shatter and wax but can make it super harsh if you put in too much.

7. Per G, what's a good amount to add to some decent shatter? I saw your other posts, I'm ordering limonene to start.

8. I really haven't experimented with it enough to make a good judgement. My best trial was with minimal amounts. Talking like 1 drop per g or less.

9. I use food grade PEG 400 (you can find it on ebay for less than $10) and it will melt down everything from shatter to wax into a clear liquid. The amount of PEG you have to use depends on how waxy it is, so if you have some nice dewaxed shatter you can start at like a 1ml/1g mixing ratio and add drop by drop until its all liquified. PEG is one of the main ingredients in ejmix and that stuff is like $50 a bottle.

You can even decarb the shatter and make edible caps. See below

[​IMG]

10. So limomene both liquifies the oil, and improves taste. I notice no changes in the actual effects besides the enjoyment of the flavor. You can overdo it though. It's like taking a teaspoon of peppermint oil versus a mint, too much is too much. I don't have anything of my own since I had to clean my house of anything, so I went to my browskis to try the liquid terps out. He had some real stable, but dark and tasteless oil. Perfect for adding terps. We crushed, heated, and flattened out a gram patty, tried mixing different amounts with different sections, and dabbed away. Thank you browski, if you read this you know who you are.

When the oil is stable, it's hard to mix it in without making a butter. There was a half of poop soup he threw a bunch of drops into, it was a vast improvement. But for the hard brown flavorless shatter, Our trick was to flatten the patty really thin, and just smear 1-2 drops per g of the terp on top, let it settle for ten, and then fold the patty over so everything's sandwiched. It leaves bubbles but it's a sappy nice clear sapish material still instead of an opaque brown butter that got whipped basically. Anything over 2 is a little overpowering. I tried mixing a whole drop into a .1 dab, it's like the juicy drop commercials from way back when. It's too much. It's like eating kielbasi, or cotton candy, a couple bites is fine but after awhile the taste is overpowering. That one dab was too much. I had to shake off a little after it, like the mid-pee-stream-shakes.

11. #11 Joker1121, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015
    Propylene glycol - well I was mixed up and someone luckily corrected me so this is edited to remove wrong info.

12. That's ethylene glycol

13. #13 Joker1121, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2015

Thanks, mate. I was wrong. Appreciate the correction- don't need bad info out there. In fact I think I'll edit it so as not to be confusing.