Disrespect

Discussion in 'General' started by Dreadlocker, Aug 5, 2012.

1. yes, really, its my first year with the company. i make more then min wage, but just barely a livable wage for my region

2. working towards it. i took this job to make industry connections and learn even more about my field. saving to get an outfitting buisness of the ground.

i plan to be with this company for 2-3 years

3. its the managers who disrescpt me. my co-workers on the floor have a ton of respect for me, and the customers really apperciate my expertise. its the managers who i have an issue with, and i dont think confronting them will go over very well. they have huge egos and love to be "the boss"/"the man"

4. Actually- I think THIS is your problem....

"its my first year with the company"

"and im actually GREAT at my job and an expert in my field"

"i bust my ass as hard as anyone in the company and bring them a skillset they will NOT easyily replace "

> what 'skillset' is that? I'm not being a dick- but you are selling products THEY purchased- At the VERY least- they know AS much as you do +how to order + the finances to cover overhead.

"working towards it. i took this job to make industry connections and learn even more about my field. saving to get an outfitting buisness of the ground.

i plan to be with this company for 2-3 years"

See- its things like THIS- that are why your managers are not giving you respect. Because you are trying to be given respect you do not deserve- and have not earned.

You are acting like your managers do not realize what an asset you are- yet they are entirely responsible for WHY you are of ANY asset.

You do not order products- So you are learning ZERO experience about the 'market'.

You do not handle profits/losses- So you are learning ZERO experience about owning/operating your own facility.

In order to be 'expert' in your field- you have to have skills/knowledge the average person cannot easily attain- or abilities that are irreplaceable.

You have neither.

"i dont think confronting them will go over very well. they have huge egos and love to be "the boss"/"the man""

pssst- they ARE your boss.

5. Suck it up homie. They can find hundreds of other people to do your job just as good.

6. ]Actually- I think THIS is your problem....

"its my first year with the company"

:D The store has only been open 1 year...

"and im actually GREAT at my job and an expert in my field"

"i bust my ass as hard as anyone in the company and bring them a skillset they will NOT easyily replace "

> what 'skillset' is that? I'm not being a dick- but you are selling products THEY purchased- At the VERY least- they know AS much as you do +how to order + the finances to cover overhead.

:D Not at all. The ordering is all done by our corprate buyers who are also industry experts, the ordering outside of that is done my myself directly via industry reps. the store managers are just that, managers, and they have almost nothing to do with the product selection. (we have 3 stores in the northwest which all carry a similiar lineup)

"working towards it. i took this job to make industry connections and learn even more about my field. saving to get an outfitting buisness of the ground.

i plan to be with this company for 2-3 years"

See- its things like THIS- that are why your managers are not giving you respect. Because you are trying to be given respect you do not deserve- and have not earned.

:D They were made completly aware of my plans to start a company at the time of hiring.

You are acting like your managers do not realize what an asset you are- yet they are entirely responsible for WHY you are of ANY asset.

You do not order products- So you are learning ZERO experience about the 'market'.

You do not handle profits/losses- So you are learning ZERO experience about owning/operating your own facility.

:D I run daily profit reports for my section of the store and we have increased our sales figures almost 20 percent since i have joined the team. That could be a seasonal thing, our store has only been open 1 year, .

In order to be 'expert' in your field- you have to have skills/knowledge the average person cannot easily attain- or abilities that are irreplaceable.

You have neither.

:D Not true, I was hired because of my skillset... I teach clinics, run our online blog, take photos and write articals for our magazine, and have been actively using the products I am selling for most of my life. I am an expert snowboarded, backpacker, fisherman, rock climber, etc.

"i dont think confronting them will go over very well. they have huge egos and love to be "the boss"/"the man""

pssst- they ARE your boss.

:D yep, which is why im looking for ways to approach the disrespect thing without hurting any egos, or finding ways to deal with it from my end without expecting a change.

i came to u blades for postive advice, alot of people are trying to shit on me in this thread. not wanted. thanks

7. there may be 5-6 people in my area who are qualified for my postion. Its a small town in a remote part of the state with a high cost of living. I would explain more but i dont really want to give out any info that would identify where im working and if i went in depth into the skillset i have i think it would give to much up.

I have been sucking it up for now, but if i keep it all in eventually ill be getting fired/leaving in a moment of rage/overreaction. it wouldnt be the first time... im trying to improve myself as a person and not give up a overall good job becuz i get to pissed at my boss.

8. You get respect by demanding it.. I don't mean going to them and demanding respect (you could though) but by just living through life demanding respect from someone else through the things you do and the way you act.

Not sure if you've ever ran into anyone like that but there are some people that just walk around with that kind of aura that you stop for a sec and realize "This person deserves my respect and I'm gonna give it to them"

One thing you said was "they also dont pay me shit, but thats ok." You say your a hard worker and the best of the best and you want respect but when you dont get noticed, respected, or payed more when your pay is "shit" to you that makes me think you are easily a push over and you don't respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself.

How do you expect to get respect when you can't respect yourself? Work on yourself and demand respect. Don't let your managers push you around. I'd rather loose my job and have respect for myself then stay at a job I hate, that pays shit, and the managers don't respect me.

9. Get used to it. No point in crying about it really.

10. im trying to avoid losing the job at all costs. i took the job because its very hard to find work in this niche market, and while the pay is shit (in my opinion) there are other perks that make up for it (extreme discount on gear i use primarily)

Im with you on rather lose the job part, but im trying to find a comprimise or something. I love the job, but the managers make it rough. I suspect they are slightly jealous of the things i get to do for the company (paid trips to trade shows, leaving the store to teach classes/do interviews for our magazine etc). this is all stuff unqie to my position, meanwhile they have to always be in the store. it makes them bitter (i know because they have told me that in person). bitter = unhappy, and the unhappyness spreads.

11. im not even sure u read the thread. im not crying about it, im looking for ideas to help "get used to it" aka cope and/or earn there respect (since hard work isnt really doing the trick).

12. You probably will never earn their respect man, its just how most managers are. Its the same way at my job, I have co workers who have busted their ass for the company for years and they get treated like crap even though some of them at points in there lives have held way better jobs then our managers. It sucks, I just try to ignore my mangers mostly and then just talk shit about them with my co workers later.

13. haha word. best advice yet. :smoke:

14. The stories I could tell about being distrespected in the work place.... try being a chick in the military working under a misogynistic fucking retard jock who only out ranks you for "time in" and uses you to make his drinking buddy look like gold, and completely burries all your hard ass work under bull shit lies just so he can make an act of "taking charge" when a higher ranking cock is in the room waiting for him to suck it for a promotion. I moved on to find better, all I know is whats in my future CANNOT be worse than what I left behind.

15. Seeing as your are one of the experts in your field, you should be able to command a premium on finding a job. If the hiring managers want a cheap and inexperienced worker that they can lord over, there are plenty of applicants everywhere and you are, unfortunately, easily replaceable and will not be missed by them. However, if the managers want an experienced individual that is one of the industry experts, or at least an up and coming star, you may be in luck.

Everyone has worked at places where they were unappreciated, disrespected, or just stuck at the bottom of the corporate ladder. At my first major job, that person was me. I worked very well with my co-workers and immediate supervisor, but the upper management did not notice or care. Eventually upper management decided to save money, and I was the first to be let go. Luckily I was able to find another job in my niche field before too long.

My former employer, however, realized weeks later that they did really need me. To train someone to my level would have taken them almost a year, and they needed someone instantly. I was offered a rather large increase in pay to come back, but I eloquently told them to go fuck themselves. For me, anyone as fickle as them is not who I want my paycheck tied to.

---

Long story short: You either take joy in the coworkers that respect you and try not to let the asshole managers bother you or find another job.

If you are not willing to move to find another job and the market in your area is limited, then there is not much to improve the job situation. Asshole managers are unlikely to change for the better (unless they are themselves fired!).

16. This is one of those situations where you gotta man up and stop crying about disrespect. You weren't born "unlucky" and by that I mean there's not like some birthmark that spells Kick Me on your forehead. Start acting like an alpha would, who's actions quietly demand respect, not like some whiny toddler.

17. posting a thread on a forum makes me a non alpha whiny toddler. go back to ur monster truck.

tired of all these fuck all noobs on GC trolling shitup.

18. #38 Zònk, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
    Its the summer man, cant wait for the kids to go back to school.

19. Respect is earned!

20. youve got two options. sometimes these work but also sometimes these get you fired.

if a boss is bein a dick telling me to work faster or something i just smile or laugh and keep doin it and just agree with them. smiles confuse people.also not giving a fuck will frustrate them and they will leave you alone if your doin your job good.

you also can act like a hard ass that dosent take shit from anyone. like either demand respect or talk back possibly or idk.let em know you dont get payed enough to get treated like that

option 1 is the best route and safer i would say. maybe a little mix of both. bust your bosses chops once in awhile itll be funny.