Dispensary Seeks Naming Rights For Mile High Stadium

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Storm Crow, Apr 2, 2016.

1. (So it's no longer April Fool's Day, and this is dated April 2nd. Might be real, might be some wishful thinking on the part of the dispensary owner, or just a publicity stunt. But dispensaries DO pull in the bucks! - Granny)

Puns ready? Marijuana dispensary wants naming rights to Mile High
    By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer
    April 2, 2016 9:28 am ET

[​IMG]
    Native Roots Field? (USATSI)

The current name of the stadium where the Denver Broncos play their home games is Sports Authority Field at Mile High. It was previously known as Invesco Field at Mile High, but Sports Authority bought the naming rights in 2011 in a 25-year agreement worth $6 million per year.

Sports Authority declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy in February, though, so in a great opportunity for punmakers nationwide, a local business announced on Friday that it is interested in purchasing the naming rights to the stadium should Sports Authority have to have to end its agreement as part of its Chapter 11 plan. What local business? Native Roots, a marijuana dispensary.

Though the announcement came on April Fools' Day, founding partner Rhett Jordan insisted, “It's not a joke, we're very serious."

Colorado is one of a few states to have legalized marijuana. Native Roots is one of many dispensaries that has since opened within the state. The company stated that if it secures naming rights, the stadium would be called Native Roots Field at Mile High. “Native Roots was born and raised in Colorado and we are the natural candidate for this. I don't see cannabis going anywhere but up right now, so we are prepared for that,” Jordan said.

CBS4 in Denver reached out to the Broncos for comment. Their response: “Sports Authority has been a great partner for many years and we certainly hope to keep it that way.” Looks like the announcement was the high point of this plan.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Love it and I hope they can get the bid!

3. I think it's a marketing gimmick on par with Saul Goodman (Better Call Saul). They're getting their 15 minutes of fame out of it. Heck, maybe they even got the idea while watching "Better Call Saul"