Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dispensaries should be required to grow their own

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by camram, Nov 19, 2011.

1. 100% or no state license. I'm not sure if any MMJ states require this but I know in Colorado dispensaries buy and sell from each other all the time. Sometimes you can tell when like half their product is hydro and half is soil.

I say this because as a patient I want to know exactly where the medication came from. Also, I think this requirement might help get rid of all the crappy places, too.

Thoughts?

2. A dispensary close to my pad grows all their own stuff, things were good at first but they got popular fast. They have maybe a few strains on hand now at all times, kinda sucks they can't keep up with the demand.

3. That's lame. You won't get any variety or sufficient supply that way.

4. Also it makes it easier for the DEA to mess with them. They get to take all the expensive grow equipment in addition to the product.

5. #5 yellow bic, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011
    umm colorado does require this, just not 100%

its the 70/30 rule.

what you see as all the time is really only 30% of the time lol. at least if they are compliant that is.

dispensaries here must gro 70% of what they sell, and can trade or wholesale the remaining 30% between other licensed MMC's

EDIT: totally just had an epiphany as to how they came up with those numbers, cause to everyone in the industry they seem to have pulled them out of their asses.

my epiphany: they were probably going to make the law that they must grow 100% of what they sell, but then realized that this may or may not limit strain selection. so im guessing thats why its 70% and not 100%.

6. It's like no piece of legislation is perfect...lol I guess the loop hole I see with 70/30 is a place could grow 70% crap, toss it as bottom shelf and then sell their 30% as top shelf without growing it and the patient thinks they are reputable.

7. but if they had good buds what would it matter.

in a sense they would be reputable because they always got good buds.

and i see your logic there, but have you met any grower? they all think there shit is the best. and MOST, definitely not all, try to grow it the best they can, and cure it the best they can and overall just try to produce the best bud they can. at least thats how i feel about the stuff i have grown and will grow. the plants become your babies. so i would think most people feel the same and would strive for great buds.

i dono if that made sense, edible just kicked in.

8. They shouldn't be growing their own for multiple reasons. When grows are on site, plan to be paying out the ass for 24/7 armed security. It puts more people at risk when grow site locations are public. Not many locations will be growing quality. It's a skill to get down the proper growing techniques. If dispensary's have to branch out in growing their own meds in order to be open, quality of meds will severely be diminished. Most dispensary's don't test their medicine, this needs to be a industry guideline. It has to be done. People should be able to know if they're smoking mold. It's a bad look on the medicinal cannabis if molds the eyes can't see are still on the buds being sold. Talk about all the profits of going completely solo in growing your own an selling it for upright outrageous markups will be issues within the future.

9. #9 DV, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
    Ha the quality of meds have already gone down.
    Weekly, I bet we pick up 3-5 patients (signing us
    over) because everyone keeps talking about the
    low quality and very low selection out there. As
    far as I'm concerned, it's a god send. Send them
    our way!! Hahah.

My clinic, we grow 100% of our own. We never
    carry other people's strains because for one, it's
    not as good as ours, it looks terrible, and it's not
    worth all the extra shit. We grow strictly organic.

I do know we sometimes (rarely) sell to dispensary
    buddies, but we don't take product in. Our buds
    are tested and have been featured in local mags
    secret shopping us, testing, then reviewing. Right
    now on our block, we're killing it. The places around
    us only have 4-6 strains. We got over 60 strains in
    the store, (we carry the genetics for over 200 strains
    in the warehouse) and that's almost unheard of.

The places that grow on site, are nuts in my opinion.
    No fucking way...

10. 200 strains! thats amazing!!!!!!

11. Yeah man...my boss has been collecting
    strains for over a decade. The fucker is
    crazy. Every other owner that comes in
    loves our store, but they think he's nuts!

:laughing:

12. [quote name='"We Here"']They shouldn't be growing their own for multiple reasons. When grows are on site, plan to be paying out the ass for 24/7 armed security. It puts more people at risk when grow site locations are public. Not many locations will be growing quality. It's a skill to get down the proper growing techniques. If dispensary's have to branch out in growing their own meds in order to be open, quality of meds will severely be diminished. Most dispensary's don't test their medicine, this needs to be a industry guideline. It has to be done. People should be able to know if they're smoking mold. It's a bad look on the medicinal cannabis if molds the eyes can't see are still on the buds being sold. Talk about all the profits of going completely solo in growing your own an selling it for upright outrageous markups will be issues within the future.[/quote]

There are few CO dispensaries who actually grow on location, rather in a separate private warehouse.

13. ehh thats [partially true, i dont know the exact numbers, but most do both i would say.

im counting keeping clones a lives as growing tho as i think you need an OPC to do that as well....tho i could be wrong.

but with an OPC to grow on site, you are restricted to 10% of our retail space, so if you do see a grow in house, most likely they have another offsite local also.