Dispelling myths about THC/CBD ratio

Discussion in 'General' started by dagon420, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Many people claim that high amounts of CBD in marijuana causes that body stone/sedative effect associated with indica plants. However, there is much scientific evidence against that idea. Indeed, studies have shown that adding CBD to THC causes one to be more awake!
    By contrast, THC alone has more sedative effects. Indeed, CBD is just an antagonist of CB1 receptors. It is probably true then that indica plants have a very high THC % compared to sativas and this has a stronger biphasic stimulant/sedative effect (CB1 receptors are the most widespread receptors in the brain, so its not unlikely that they can do both). The amount of CBD in most drug strains probably has no effect at all since CBD is not present in large amounts and has a much lower affinity for CB1 receptors compared to THC.

Here are some articles to prove my point.
    Cannabidiol, a constituent of Cannabis sativa, mod... [FEBS Lett. 2006] - PubMed result

In conclusion, we found that CBD modulates waking via activation of neurons in the hypothalamus and DRD. Both regions are apparently involved in the generation of alertness. Also, CBD increases DA levels as measured by microdialysis and HPLC procedures. Since CBD induces alertness, it might be of therapeutic value in sleep disorders such as excessive somnolence.

Effect of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabi... [J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004] - PubMed result

With the concomitant administration of the drugs (5 mg THC and 5 mg CBD to 15 mg THC and 15 mg CBD), there was a decrease in stage 3 sleep, and with the higher dose combination, wakefulness was increased. The next day, with 15 mg THC, memory was impaired, sleep latency was reduced, and the subjects reported increased sleepiness and changes in mood. With the lower dose combination, reaction time was faster on the digit recall task, and with the higher dose combination, subjects reported increased sleepiness and changes in mood. Fifteen milligrams THC would appear to be sedative, while 15 mg CBD appears to have alerting properties as it increased awake activity during sleep and counteracted the residual sedative activity of 15 mg THC

2. Indica plants, such as Kush, have always been associated with a revved high. Got your species names backwards there, sorry mate. Lrn2factcheck.

3. inb4 palmfaces

4. Haha *facepalm*

Hey MrBurrows "Lrn2factcheck" :cool:

This article is really interesting. I saw a show on BBC America where they basically gave IV THC and CBD and when given pure CBD, she was alert, happy, and funny, but when given pure THC, she was groggy, mad, and according to the test given to her, psychotic.

5. its funny because I took this same test and got completely opposite results.

6. Hmm that's interesting. Why did you take the test? was it part of a study or something like that? Well anyway, here's the link to the documentary I was talking about

Should I Smoke Dope? | Watch Free Documentary Online

7. its from my over 12 years of "testing". the results I have concluded in my test are opposite of the ones in the tests your talking about.