Dishsoap

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dsbigd99, Nov 6, 2012.

1. I have heared that adding dishsoap to your water for feeding & foliar spray will help absorbtion. Wouldnt that go against the rules of organics?

2. [quote name='"dsbigd99"']I have heared that adding dishsoap to your water for feeding & foliar spray will help absorbtion. Wouldnt that go against the rules of organics?[/quote]

Its used to allow things like neem oil to stick to plant surfaces better. Fresh or powdered aloe vera will do the same thing.

3. ...make sure it's certified biodegradable dishsoap...you fighting pest?

4. dishsoap is used as an emulsifier, making water sticky....this will make the water penetrate better.

5. No pests. The way it read was if your water was sitting on top of your soil for a extended amount of time it was do to salt build up and that would help it penetrate. Also for foliar spray it would make the water coat the entire leaf instead of beading up.

6. pro tek
    yucca extract
    natural dishsoap
    aloe vera juice

i like combination of aloe and protek

7. ...well, idk what your reading...but if your water is sitting ontop of your soil for an extended amout of time, it's probably because your soil is too compacted, or too dry...salt buildup would be caused by adding too much synthetic fertilizers, ph issues, exc, and would have no relationship with the water keeping a puddle ontop of your soil...sounds like you have alot of petemoss in your soil.
    ...alot of growers use dishsoap when their soil has dried out too much and the water seems to pour from the drainholes of their pots without penetrating the soil much.....so when the dishliquid is added, it makes the water 'wetter' sort of speak by sticking to the soil particals, helping the soil retain water easier.

8. So natural dishsoap is ok for the foliar spray?

9. ...yes, but I don't understand why you are interested in using it if your not adding it to neem.

10. An all natural pure castile soap that is readily available. Dr. Bronner's can be found at Walgreen's and others.

[​IMG]

11. I have a hard time getting my neem not to clump up when I mix it with pro-tect alone. I use neem/ protect/ soap mix and I get a good mix then. I use baby soap because i dont want antibacterial soap to kill microbes. Whats better about the Dr. Bronners?

12. I also use Dr Bronners, instead of aloe/pro-tekt, for foliars. My plants always limp over from aloe/protekt, whereas they don't with Dr. Bronners. Still have the same look the next day, ie Praying like they never have before. I give credit to the neem, not the protekt/aloe. I always warm about a liter of water on the stove, then pour soap, then oil, shake, pour in cool water to desired dilution, spray.

dsbigd99 is asking because some recommend using soap for spraying on gardens and lawns as a way to break the surface tension and make water easier to soak into the dirt. Inside in containers, I don't see a need to add it to water for the soil. The reason it is done outside, is because we don't have anywhere near the control we do inside. If it rains outside, you want it to soak into your soil (most locals). If you use the sprinklers, you want the water to soak in easiest. You want every drop of water possible to soak into your soil and not run off. Inside we can water, wait, water, wait, let the saucer soak back up and then empty it a little bit longer.

Some people also choose to use aloe and/or yucca as a wetting agent on their soil, instead of soap. If you think they need it.

13. Be careful with soap. 99% of them are loaded up with chemicals. At least be smart enough to read your labels. If you can't pronounce the ingredients then you probably don't want to use it.

J

14. Soap making requires the use of lye. Simply because soap makers use pure chemicals instead of extracting it from natural sources is irrelevant. I could say the exact same thing about pro-tekt. A pure chemical, that comes with warnings.

All traces of potassium/sodium hydroxide are chemically converted in the manufacturing process of soap and no traces remain.
    I use Dr. Bronners to wash my body, something I don't do with pro-tekt.

15. Your rite the original ? was does it go against the rules of organics I dont want to use it nor do I

16. I understand about useing it with neem. But @ the same time I do remember in grade school kids doing science projects where they would take one plant and just water. Take another plant of the same type and add a drop of dishsoap to the feed water. The one that had dishsoap was consideraly bigger. So let me ask why not if it is a organic soap?

(not trying to be a jerk just for oppinian sake)

17. I think soaps are cleared for use as a pesticide, but not sure about a soil drench.

There are approved wetting agents for using on your soil.

The intricacies of how/why/why not certain things are approved/not approved is outside my knowledge.

18. I found it weird as a soil drench but the foliar spray was interesting as far as allowing the water to fully cover the surface of the leaf instead of beading. i would think the more surface area you can wet the better the intake. But was curious on the concensous.