Disgusting, wanna gag, non-weed smell...help!!

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Snwboardr9876, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Okay so I feel as if I cut my girls down at the perfect time, trichs were probably 80:20 milky to amber ratio respectively, which is what I wanted...a little couch lock feel to it. Okay I dried for 8 days, meanwhile they were smell was off the hook. I have a Maui Wowie, a White Widow, and a Lady Burn 1974. Each one had it's own special smell and they were entrancing, couldn't stop smelling em!

Well towards the end of the dry they started to lose that smell, except the lady burn, she still smelled great. I wasn't concerned about this part because I've been told that the cure brings back the smell and taste.

Okay so I go out and buy me some seal-able glass jars, after doing a final trim I throw all the nugs into 5 seperate jars. The Maui Wowie (the highest yielding of the 3) went into 3 different jars and the W.W. and L.B. went into the other two. Sealed em up and waited about 6 hours. Opened em up, went to get a nice whiff and it took all I had to keep my dinner down! I've never smelt anything like this before.

I haven't been growing long but I've been smoking long enough to know that weed should not smell like this! It's not neccessarily a moldy smell and I don't see one spot of it on the bud either.

Now I had an auto lowryder earlier in the season I cut down cause my spot got blown up and the same exact thing happened, after three or four days of smelling that shit I tossed it.

I really would like to know if this is normal or if anybody has ever experienced this nasty ass smell??

Here is the type of jar I'm using.

[​IMG]
    Here is one of the buds

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking guys!!

2. I'm about to harvest my first grow, so I'm not experienced, but I've read a lot, but it is weird. Everyone says once you cure and continue burping she'll get that dank smell back. Did you nute the plants to close to chopping them?? Are they still really wet? Do you burp them every few hours? If they became dry too quick, due to fans or whatever speeding up the process, put a fan leaf in there. Idk though

3. You gotta cure it. Uncured bud smells like hay usually.

4. Okay yes that's kinda the smell that I'm getting. Okay so then if I just keep burping the original smell will return? I mean you can cure in those jars right? Ive seen the methods on here and they use the mason jars but I figure glass is glass and a seal is a seal right? I figured they would be good for the cure and storage.

I can also say that they don't seem to be getting moist at all. Should I try this fan leaf method in the jar?

Oh and I did sample a little also. The high was great however it's definitely not ready as it didn't burn to ash at all.

5. [quote name='"Snwboardr9876"']Okay yes that's kinda the smell that I'm getting. Okay so then if I just keep burping the original smell will return? I mean you can cure in those jars right? Ive seen the methods on here and they use the mason jars but I figure glass is glass and a seal is a seal right? I figured they would be good for the cure and storage.

I can also say that they don't seem to be getting moist at all. Should I try this fan leaf method in the jar?

Oh and I did sample a little also. The high was great however it's definitely not ready as it didn't burn to ash at all.[/quote]

Yes the curing burping should bring it back. And only if you noticed the buds became unevenly dried

6. Dude six hours is hardly enough time to release anything. I usually seal my jars for about 24-48 hours so it gets pretty moist then let it dry out completely. Then just repeat. Don't hurry the process. A good cure can some times take a month or two so be patient.

7. Ok first off I don't know what the heck you guys are smelling that's making you guys wanna puke! This literally made me laugh my ass off!! U threw some good stuff away! They all smell like hay at first! LOL yes like above says, let it cure. And give some time

8. See I definitely didn't know to wait 24-48 hours to recirculate air. All the tut's I read said to do it twice a day. Now the 24-48 hours makes sense because they're not even getting moist at all. I have absolutely no problem waiting a month if it brings back the original smell and taste! I waited this long, why waste it and use it now...patience is not a problem. Just had some shitty info apparently.

Thanks you guys, that's what I needed to hear!

P.S. Kevin I had a feeling somebody would get a kick outta this but hey I had to ask! Won't be throwing away any more "hay" thats for sure!

9. I had this happen to me too..I harvested my biggest plant and let it dry for 5 days with ventilation and small amounts of heat..then when I was able to get a nice crisp snap out of the stems..I started to cure in mason jars...as soon as I put it in the jars it got the "hay" smell..then a couple days after that it got the chloropyll smell..I forgot to burp one of the jars one day and then next day I opened the jar, took a big whiff and and it was horrible. I instantly felt nauseated and sick..I thought it was mold but there's no mold at all...its deff not normal should I toss it or make it into hash?

10. [quote name='"Snwboardr9876"']See I definitely didn't know to wait 24-48 hours to recirculate air. All the tut's I read said to do it twice a day. Now the 24-48 hours makes sense because they're not even getting moist at all. I have absolutely no problem waiting a month if it brings back the original smell and taste! I waited this long, why waste it and use it now...patience is not a problem. Just had some shitty info apparently.

Thanks you guys, that's what I needed to hear!

P.S. Kevin I had a feeling somebody would get a kick outta this but hey I had to ask! Won't be throwing away any more "hay" thats for sure![/quote]

Lol sorry man. The worst has happened to most of us

11. #11 Sinister, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
    Hey man, I feel like I have to chime in here because I don't think you've found your problem.

The info you had before isn't exactly incorrect or shitty, when your putting your dried buds into jars for the first time, they quickly pull the moisture from the inside of the stems and redistribute it throughout the bud making it moist again.

This happens quickly when you first put them into jars, for example I open my jars every 6 hrs the first 2-3 days. Then as they gradually become more and more dry when I open them, I cut that to every 12 hrs, and finally every 24hrs until they are at the point of perfect dryness when I open the jar. I also pour them out onto a screen everytime I open/burp them, so that the nugs go back in a diff order and any small starting mold spots can be spotted early and gotten rid of.

So basically I think you have a different problem here, opening them every 4-6hrs instead of twice or once a day did not cause your smell. I've been drying this way for a decade and after about 5 days curing (after this initial 1-2week dry/burp process) my bud will stink up a room with just a few grams, in a bag, in your pocket.

Sad to say i'm not sure what did cause the problem, but reconsider this.

Good luck

PS

Are you flushing? I noticed the bud you said you threw out you had to suddenly harvest because of some reason. Was the plant full of nutrients? That would be a easy way to make horrible tasting weed, the chemicals taste like shit, and sometimes make the bud smell like ether almost, or lighter fluid in some cases.

12. I knew that was too easy to be true haha.

Okay so just like you I have been emptying the jars each time I recirculate so that the buds get moved around. Now that first plant that had to be ripped out early was definitely full of nutes for sure. These last three that I did however had a nice 2 week long flush and I even used organic nutes on em for flowering.

I also wanna make sure you did see that in both cases, the early harvested plant and the last three that I did, all the plants smelled amazing all the way up to putting the dried buds into the jars. That's the part that is dryiving me crazy...if they smelled like shit from day one then I wouldn't be so pissed lol.

I mean you guys did nail the type of smell that I have though, definitely a "hay" type of smell, I'm still kinda hoping it will go away eventually...wishful thinking or what??

13. IMO if it's a hay smell younger fine and just need to cure the bud. If it's a acidic smell then you might have a mold issue. Like sinister said you want to get the moister out of the stems and such but it really takes a different length of time for each plant. I think that if you keep curing you will b fine just do b vigilant in looking for mold.

14. Yup hay smell for sure. I remember it from last time distinctly, I've smelled mold before and this definitely isn't mold thank god.

Okay I have another question. These jars are only half full if that, should I get smaller jars...would this help bring the moisture out better? I swear I'm not getting anything out of these. It's not like they're bone dry like all crunchy either. I just don't get it. These jars did come from the dollar store, I dunno maybe they dont have a nice air tight seal.

By the way thanks again you guys for all the info and support, definitely very nice to have some back up out there in the cyber world!

15. [quote name='"Snwboardr9876"']Yup hay smell for sure. I remember it from last time distinctly, I've smelled mold before and this definitely isn't mold thank god.

Okay I have another question. These jars are only half full if that, should I get smaller jars...would this help bring the moisture out better? I swear I'm not getting anything out of these. It's not like they're bone dry like all crunchy either. I just don't get it. These jars did come from the dollar store, I dunno maybe they dont have a nice air tight seal.

By the way thanks again you guys for all the info and support, definitely very nice to have some back up out there in the cyber world![/quote]

Yes. The more full the jars are the better. The easier they spread the moisture

16. Oh and I bought jars from the dollar store too. Garbage. They work but not exactly "airtight" I bought some nice ones from bed bath & beyond lol. Got like 5 jars of mixed sizes for like 30$. Work way better

17. IDK if it's already been mentioned, but gradually increase the shut time on your jars as you cure. The hay smell will dissapate and amellower version of what you were smelling when they were fresh will return.(pungence will depend on strain of course.) My Burmese x Mystic cross lost about 50% of it's citrus aroma during cure, but it brought out a "tea, coffee" like aroma that is totally unique in itself.

18. make sure it's properly dry, I had this problem and the smell was unpleasant also. Break a bud open and if it smells fresh and "minty" it's wet.

19. Hey man hope your having some luck. I just harvested earlier this week and just cut them and put them into jars.

Hope your smell recovers some.

20. yeah the smell is definitely starting to dissipate and I'm starting to pick up slight hints of the original smell again. Glad I asked about the size of the jars because I actually broke em down into smaller amounts in the jars thinking the opposite of what was actually right in this case haha another lesson learned the hard way.

Thanks for all the help and support guys...nice to know there's always some dudes willing to lend a helping hand!