Discovered a cool sport not present in western world - Kabaddi

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Jdahms, Aug 3, 2011.

1. my bjj instructor showed me this. he had the 2006 games on a DVD.

The teams each have a side on the field. They take turns sending a "raider" to the other teams side in an attempt to grapple a member of the other team to the mat before escaping back to his side. The raider cant take a breath the whole time hes attacking (he has to chant "KabadiKabadikabadi" over and over. if he stops chanting to take a breath his team loses a point)

The defenders make a chain (that if broken they lose a point) and their goal is to stop the raider from "tagging" (grappling) a member of their team and making it back to his side of the field before taking a breath.

its fucking intense, and looks fun as hell

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOE7dKz6nY0]‪Kabaddi World Cup 2006‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

India are the dominant force in this game. theyve won every Kabaddi world cup.

2. How is it judged on when someone takes a breath?

It looks like it would be simple to secretly take a breath without anyone noticing.

3. if they stop yelling "Kabadi"

the players probably will call themselves out if they take a breath anyway

4. Makes sense.
    Looks interesting.
    I could see myself watching for about 10 minutes then getting bored due to lack of familiarity with the sport and culture.

5. this link explains it better. its a great game and is more fun to play with your buddies on the weekend than touch football.

KABADDI – HOW TO PLAY THE GAME?

What is a raid?

From your team you have to send, one player to the other teams court to raid. The raider starts from the centerline uttering aloud, “Kabaddi, Kabaddi, Kabaddi…” without any break. He would be actually running from one side to the other side of the opponent's court trying to touch either with his hand or leg an opponent. Once he touches an opponent, he will, without breaking the “Kabaddi, Kabaddi…” rhythm come back to his court through the centerline. The people he had touched are his teams point scored. If he had touched one player, it is 1 point and if he had touched 3 players, it is 3 points to your team.

Defending and holding the raider:

The objective of your opponent, when your player is raiding them is different. They, as a team, would like to thwart the raider's effort to score by touching any member of the opponent's team and devise ways to trap and catch him without allowing him to get back to the center line and thence to his court. If the raider is caught and loses his chanting breath “…Kabaddi, Kabaddi, Ka…” he is considered out.

6. Watch that without sound. :laughing:

7. Wooo for India.

It's pretty boring.

8. #8 Jdahms, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
    this is a different format. What makes it boring? it involves stamina, speed, and combat, and strategy. seems like a good combo to me

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrtyQ1uSRB4]‪2010 Asian Games - Kabaddi / Men's Semifinal / Pakistan vs Iran 1/3‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

9. Reminds me of that game from middle school, steal the bacon, minus the bacon.

10. than gtfo

11. It seems like curling to me, boring to watch but decent to play, except playing this looks like a lot of fun.

12. Found this on youtube, was about to make a thread but searched instead.

This game should be played in every American school. Haha, not very serious.

It's interesting though, to say the least.