Disabled Veteran's Personal Use Grow Room - Spot Check My Homework?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by White4Gulf, Jul 6, 2018.

1. #1 White4Gulf, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    TLDR:
    Looking for cost effective equipment and design suggestions for a setup for perpetual personal use in a 16'x16' secure outbuilding with one 15a circuit of 110.

Thank you to everyone who has put effort into positively contributing to this forum. It has been a pleasure learning from some of you who seem to take so much pride in your craft.

I apologize if this is in the wrong subsection, I am new to forums. I have spent several months reading and searching Grasscity for answers. One question answered invariably raised 3 more. I'm hoping to start an open discussion on where I'm at in regards to having my information squared away. I am sure some, if not every question I have, has been brought up in some form or fashion. Please know I'm not trying to be redundant or disrespectful. I am long-winded.

I'm a U.S. Army Infantry combat veteran who enjoys marijuana as a supplemental relief to behavioral inefficiencies I experience as a result of PTSD. I've found marijuana can help alleviate social anxiety, insomnia and help regulate extreme fluctuations in emotion. Oh, and I like getting stoned, too.

I have been blessed by the company in which I keep, it has allowed me the privilege to experience quality marijuana. I appreciate a sativa dominant cannabis. Without a side by side comparison, however, I doubt I could differentiate the nuances of effect between two individual strains of comparable strength. White Widow is a personal favorite.

I'm currently paying $60 for an 1/8th of mid grade, mainly because I don't socialize enough to find any other sources. My source is unreliable and dishonest. I have mouths to feed. I'm cocky enough to think I can do better myself. I draw a great deal of enjoyment from growing plants, it is very therapeutic. I will have fun growing. My goal is to cost effectively maintain a perpetual supply of 1 lb every 8 weeks, I understand there is a learning curve and do not have any expectations. The yield weight will be but a small variable in my measurement of success. I'm not trying to win any cups, quit my day job or compete with Escobar. I've worked a lot of overtime and have saved up $1,000 for this project's initial investment. I believe this to be sufficient to begin making purchases. I don't need, or want, anything unnecessarily complicated or expensive. I'd like to run my decisions by y'all first, please. I'm in no rush.

The area I have chosen to work with is a very secure outbuilding. It has one circuit of 110. It has an approximate interior dimension of 16'x16' with a ceiling of approximately 11' and exposed rafters at approximately 8'. It is not insulated. It has a window. It has a crawl space. It is under 24/7 CCTV surveillance, is behind a locked privacy fence, and is well lit at night by motion flood lights. An alert dog whom loves me very much spends his time using it as shade. It is 100 meters from neighbors. I don't believe I'll need the entire space, but, I don't bend like I used to, so would prefer not to have to play Twister trying to clean up spilled water.

On a scale from Homer Simpson to Bob Villa, I'm about a Walt Kowalski. If that makes sense to you, I'll buy you a Daniel Webster cigar. I have the tools and construction material on hand with a working knowledge of home repair.

I think that should be sufficient backstory to suggest an appropriate 2x4. Thanks for being patient, folks.

Order of Attack:
    Clean project area thoroughly.
    Setup two 5'x5' tents with 1000w each, air circulation, cooling and filtration.
    Install a basic DWC bubble bucket system.
    Begin germination, determine sex, cull the herd, maintain mother, clone, vegetate, flower, harvest, dry, cure.

Shopping List (In no particular order):

PH Pen- I'm sure others are better and more accurate. However, I doubt my first few grows will significantly benefit from my ability to regulate my PH levels to within .1. This allows me to understand the basics without breaking the bank so that I may make a more informed purchase in the future, should it be required. Got some generic PH up and down too.

Source:

Nutrients:
    Fox Farm Trio - Available, proven, with lots of data provided by far more experienced folk than I that I can use to troubleshoot. I am sure other nutrients are just as capable, with others even more so. I don't believe my skill level would be able to justify the split hairs.

Source:

Tents:
    Apollo Horticulture 5x5 - Sufficient space, with room to play in the future. Not significantly more expensive than the 4x4. Warrantied. Not significantly more expensive than plywood, mylar, paint and my time.

Source:

Ballasts:
    Hydrofarm SGO100C Magnetic 1000 Watt Ballast - Two. One for each tent. Switchable between MH and HPS should I get my timing off in the future, without a significant price difference. 1000W may be a bit much for my desired yield, but it is not significantly more expensive than a 600W and it allows me the benefit of utilizing the full space of the tents.

Source:

Hood:
    Vegelumax VLDEGH6 Double Ended Air Cool Glass Hood Reflector, 6-Inch - Two. one for each tent. Capable. Simple. Inexpensive.

Source:

Bulbs:
    Yield Farm 1000w DE HPS - x2. One for the flower tent, one for backup.
    Yield Farm 1000W DE MH - x2. One for veg tent, one for backup.

Source:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YT70JA6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2WKQ23WU3PLDV&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKQJXVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2WKQ23WU3PLDV&psc=1

Fans:

Vivo Sun 6 inch 440 CFM Inline with Carbon Filter - One. On exhaust/pull end of flowering room. Exhaust through roof.
    Vivo Sun 6 inch 390 CFM Inline fan - Two. One on each pull end of lights. Fresh air intake through floor/ crawl space, to help with cooling. I can run intake from a window unit a/c if necessary.

Source:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXYMJ94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PQGFJXAT8J9K&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NA07G79/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2PQGFJXAT8J9K&psc=1

Water:
    Distilled water from local grocery store. I'll figure out a RO system later, if I find it to be too much of a pain to pickup water from store.

Air Pump:
    Vivohome 950 GPH 6 outlet - Two. One for each tent. Run black tubing to each bucket.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078H92695/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1LJO3FZJ9NMOU&psc=1

Buckets:

3 gal net pots.- No res, as i will figure that out later, once/if I have enough plants to make it a pain to monitor each. - Amazon

Suspension Media:
    Expanded Clay balls - Amazon

Seed Germination:
    Rockwool Cubes, heating mat, aluminum baking pan with plastic lid.

Seeds:
    Attitude female Jack Herer, bitcoin. They throw in freebies to play with.

Think this will do me? Have I missed something? Is this simple?

• Like Like x 5
  2. One 15 amp circuit will only support one tent with one 1000 watt lamp and even that may be trouble if the distance is 100 ft and the wire is # 14 gauge. 600 watt lamp may be all it'll really stand.
    1500 watts is all it'll stand and that is not continuous duty. More like 1100-1200 watts or it'll be tripping the breaker.
    If you have a few additional loads like fans they have to be figured in as well to the total load.

It the power can be upgraded your plans are good but if your stuck at 1500 watts it'll be not so good.
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I have the privilege of working with a blank canvas.
    Run three new circuits of 12ga, one dedicated to each light and third for components? It is 50' from the breaker. I can wire it myself. Supplies maybe $200, if I needed to purchase them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ahhh excellent.
    That'll do just fine then.
    Lots of us here are former military.
    :)
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I don't know someone I served with who doesn't smoke. Just a grunt, here. I still need adult supervision.

6. The vivosun fan is a good choice, i also use their 1000w ballast and cool tube hood, the ballast is dimable and they have great customer service, ambient temps are gonna be a problem for you even though you will be using tents, insulation is a must imo, especially if youre growing in water, insulation will be cheaper than chillers, Attitude was also a great choice they are a good reputable bank, looks like you have done some great planning good luck with everything.

7. You guys are making me feel good about my homework. I'm glad to hear I'm headed in the right direction!

I live in a Zone 7-8. The outbuilding is heavily shaded, but, temperatures can reach upper 90's. I can insulate the building and run a window unit for the building itself, or wrap r30 around the tents and draw intake from window unit. The latter may be the less expensive option.

8. Hell yeah! you are definitely headed in the right direction, and congrats on the all the planning and research you've done, below is a pic of my current 4' x 4' DWC closet its also 1000 watt, so i cant wait to see what you do with all the space you have!!! 20180629_202224.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Outstanding post buddy! You've definitely been studying and have learned a bunch of great knowledge. Yes, lots of us former military in here. ;-)

I agree with BrassNwood. You gotta get more Amps in there to manage the type of lights you're going for. The rest looks great!

Maybe I missed it but, depending on the area where you live and the seasons you have going on, what about heat and AC?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thank you for the kind words. Gorgeous photo! Those fan leaves look indicative of a predominantly indica strain? If I produce anything a fraction as pretty as what you have going on, I'll be proud.

Thank you, for the kind words. I am so relieved to hear I'm close.

If the R30 around the tents and lights aren't sufficient for heat, I can switch the intake to a portable heater. Might buy a heater/ac unit.

Something I shamefully didn't go over was safety. I will be mounting my ballasts outside of the tents on fireplace bricks (Might also help with temp regulation), all electricity will be well above any water lines.

When more funds become available, spare parts would be nice to have on hand. A ballast going down would be detrimental.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Just my 2 cents but you should start a grow journal here on the forum if you have time, i would sub up for sure, about my grow, yeah its indica dominate, gg#4 phenom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sign me up too. Start a journal. I'd love to see what you come up with!

13. Once I have everything in hand and setup, I will definitely do a grow journal. I don't know how entertaining I can make it for y'all, but I would like to look back at it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Better watch out or you'll turn into a grow-aholic. It's hard to avoid...
    :weed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. I had fun putting the batteries in my hygrometer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. 100% Disabled American Vet Service connected ..

That is not much of a budget brother .

HPS lighting uses allot of energy and 90% of the energy is lost or wasted in making heat …
    Which requires more ventilation to remove the heat the light makes .
    I use LED lighting because I don't want 200.00 to 300.00 a month power bills .
    The new technology in LED lighting makes it possible to have at least 1/3 to 1/4 less power bills over using HPS lighting.

Personally I like the 4x8 tents , and I just bought a 4x8 Lighthouse hydro tent off e bay for a hundred bucks VS 329.00 what the tent sells for new now .

Personally I went with a Aeroponic set up, you get accelerated growth …….
    For me Hydroponics is allot easier then growing in a passive hydroponic compost system .
    Allot of people don't know that the only natural grow systems only grown in dirt and all plants grown in soil less composts is considered a passive hydroponics ..
    DWC's and or aeroponics is considered a recirculating hydroponic systems .

I have about 2500.00 into each 4x8 tent and that doesn't include temp control .
    Ventilation yes but not temp control .

When I first started I bought six 300 w mars lights at 65.00 per light.
    I don't think mars LED lights are even close to being the best but it got me going .
    Now I am making my own LED lights by buying LED light kits.

There is no getting away without ventilation, the plants need air , the plants need to be moving and they need fresh air ..

Thank you for your service .

• Like Like x 1
  17. 1 pound every 8 weeks is very ambitious, you would need a pretty serious setup for that. Best of luck to you on your grow! Welcome to GC!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Quantum boards 5–600w in a 4x4

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Personally I wouldn't use feminized seeds .you have time to grow one mother plant and clone off that plant.
    I have a friend who is a consultant for the commercial grow factories in Nevada .
    He always says to use reg seeds because feminized seeds are prone to back to their original sex if stressed .
    Your very first rodeo I wouldn't expect a bumper crop .
    Most first time growers do not get a handle on ventilation or how super important it is.
    Humidity, + heat = mold fungi ,powdery mildew and insects .
    If you are not educate on how to deal with fungi and insects you will most likely loose you first crop or two .

Moist soil or composts is breeding grounds for insects, and some insects are already in the dirt.
    Having your grow area clean is super important .

20. I have serious money wrapped up into two 4x8 grow tents and a walk in closet and not harvesting every two months.
    To get 6 to 8 oz per plant on a indoor grow set up it takes me 4.5 to 5 months from start to finish .
    Getting a harvest every two months is going to take several grow areas , at least 3 maybe four .