Dirty fish tank water good for plants?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Romain, Aug 15, 2006.

1. I heard dirty fish tank water is good for plants

Is this true? Could i water my plants with it or atleast use it for a slight fertalizer?

Its Freshwater fish water (between 6-7pH) but has the added de-chlorinated chemicals in it which could be bad

2. The only reason I could even slightly maybe possibly even consider this anything other than a myth is the fish droppings, but considering all the other diseases and mess associated with dirty fish water I would not use it. You are much better off just using fertilizer, or even nothing.

3. I know from experience that it doesn't hurt them but is it better, I haven't a clue. I've heard it was but I don't believe everything I hear.

4. I have a large Koi pond and use the filth from the filter to water and fert my garden, makes verything bigger for sure, but I don't have any chemicals in mine!

5. Found this info. on a website (for PLANTS not specifically MJ Plants so dont freak :)):

You can use this smelly stuff directly; no need to age it or add anything. The concentrations won't 'overfertilize' your plants, unlike many chemical applications you buy at the store.

In my garden, the plants that get the most fish water thrive the best. I concentrate on my honeysuckle, roses, tomatoes, willows and peach trees. The growth and flowering is unbelievable.
    (Dont MJ and Tomatoes have almost the same growing ways?)

Fish emulsion (5-2-5, for those who know the magic numbers) is a good organic fertilizer

Source: http://www.totse.com/en/drugs/marijuana/hashbook.html

6. Quick bump.

Wanna see if i can get some more help on this..

When i 1st posted what kind of soil i was using someone posted saying that i didnt need to fertalize that brand of soil cause it already had everything in it. And that doing so would fuck up my grow.

If i can use my fish tank water, can i use it as a substitute to buying something and using that?

7. i personally dont think it will hurt the considering my soil contains high amounts of nutes(feather and bone meal mixed in)and during veg growth i was giving them 4 tbl spoons/gal of fish emulsion every 4 days(every other water) and all it did was make them grow twice as fast.if u are worried, try it on one plant only and if it works then great if not u can most likely save the plant by flushing the soil before it kills it. good luck.

double edit: what kind of soil is it?

8. however much good soil u start off with, by the time a plant is mature it will have sucked all the goodness out & u will need to use some kind of additional nutrient if u want good growth.
    Fish crap sounds bad to me as it wil stink like fk :eek:
    Not really ideal for indoors (imo) - considering how cheap top (stinkless) hydro nutes are.

9. I will have alot of it..cause the water tends to evaporate every week or so and i change it once every month or so so thats almost 10 gallons.

Here is the soil: http://www.expertgardener.org/Produ...ePottingSoil/PerfectMixAllPurposePottingSoil/

"Expert Gardener Perfect Mix All Purpose Potting Soil is pre-mixed and needs no additional amending. Simply add the potting soil to containers or use as a soil amendment in the garden."

If i dont use the water as a nute, suggestion on something else?

10. i would use fish emulsion(6-3-3) for veg and then fox farms tiggerbloom(5-12-8 or something like that) for flowering.do a test, give one plant fish emulsion and one plant fish water see which grows better. and also fish emulsipn is a very safe nute to use, i havent ever burnt a plant with it even when doubling the highest amount the jug says to use.

• Like Like x 1

11. Its just going to be the water..im not sure how i would acutally get the fish droppings out of the water (HEHEHEHE)

But that sounds like a good plan..where can i get tiggerbloom from?

12. I've taken Beginning, and Advanced Horticulture in high school, and I know for a fact that the water from your fish tank is good for a fertilizer, and will not harm you plants.

• Like Like x 1
  13. they should have it at your local garden shop but if not im sure the internet sells it. and i was talking about bought fish emulsion not trying to extract the shit from the water lol. what stage are your plants in?