Direct Sun vs Cloudy sun?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by hemphero, Feb 25, 2010.

1. #1 hemphero, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
    Out here in PNW washington I am wondering If plants can go strong and survive in sun that is partial being we get alot of cloudy days here.
    And if I where to be in a zone where frost dates are longer like 6 months can the plant survive?Let me know DANKS

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes and Yes

3. They will grow and survive but w/o full sun the quality and yield will suffer.

4. will the yeild suffer that i shouldnt even grow if im getting alot of cloudy days

5. They will still grow and produce bud even if you get a lot of cloudy days, you just won't get as much. The buds will not be all that big or dense and not have as much crystal as they would if they were grown in full sun but you WILL get something out of them, cannabis is a very hearty plant.

6. How many days can i go with out sun during the months of like april may?
    like if i encounter 4 days of no sun durig april 20th are plants gonna die or do i need to do somehting.
    Better yet how do i prepare for cloudy days in the next few months!

7. hold a flashlight on them when the sun isnt shining... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. LoL nice one...

I can't really give you a solid answer on that hemphero there are too many variables. Like I was saying cannabis is hearty, a few cloudy days are NOT going to kill your plants. I've seen people grow plant on the north coast here where it is foggy 80% of the time. The plants never get that big and the buds never get that filled out, but they can produce. You really can't control the weather so you just need to plant them and hope for the best.

9. you can't control the weather? pshhh...

When it's cloudy you go outside and blow the clouds away... if it rains after you just nuted, build a small log cabin with a glass roof and white picket fence around the crop... and in the event of a tornado click your heels together 3 times...

just gotta be prepared and know what to do in any situation

10. I live in the north hemisphere at 45 degrees. and cloudy days are a regular thing here so is late and early frost. some strains wont like it much but most will do just fine. Just cuz there are clouds dosen't mean that the light quality is poor or they wont yield well. Some times certain types of clouds or fog/mist from ground/air temp clashing will magnify the light intensity and create a greenhouse type atmosphere. You want to make sure that your strain is mold resistant and early. EASY SATIVA will produce massive yields in that type of weather. MIST strains should do well also.

Oh and the weather you described is common in places with water and mountains or foothill type terain ya know like HOLLAND.

11. In South Africa we have more sun than needed , we grow year round here !! Winter is intact The best weather to grow in

• Like Like x 1
  12. You grow strains that are acclimated for your specific environment.
    I'm sure that before you considered it, no one has ever attempted to try and grow cannabis outdoors where you live.