Dinafem Original Amnesia auto and ??? fem seed, first grow attempt

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mothbutts, Dec 10, 2012.

1. I have been lurking on GC for several months now, absorbing as much information as I can and getting great advice and whatnot but never really trying to grow until recently. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that post and those that post grow journals. I have learned so much and enjoy the passion you show for your plants. I recently moved to an area that is not green-friendly. The cost is outrageous and VERY dry where I am. I also don't know very many people and so that doesn't help the situation. I use the lovely herb as my medicine. I have several things that would guarantee instant mmj card if I were in a mmj state, but all that is irrelevant for this post so I guess I will get to the point.

Equipment I am working with right now:

62x36x20 Mylar grow tent

125 Watt CFL light, with two additional 20 watt CFL bulbs (165 watts)

Happy Frog organic potting soil mix

Small desk fan

Maxigro nutes 10-5-14

1 Dinafem Original Amnesia autoflower ((One month tomorrow))
    1 Mystery fem seed from the 10 pack ((Also one month tomorrow))

First- Yes, I realize that the general opinion is that CFL is not optimal lighting and that I should go for a HPS or whatnot but funds are tight right now. I know it is highly unlikely that I will pull an ounce, or super dank quality bud using only CFL lighting but if I come out with anything smokeable at the end of this I will be happy and way ahead of what I was before! I DO plan on (if anything) adding a new source of light in the future, and will be adding a few more CFLs when I get the chance, but I have other things I need first like odor control.

More explaining in a bit, here is some pictures!

Attached Files:

2. gj man. Let's see how the girls turn out with the cfl set up

3. I uploaded more current pictures and typed out a long thing last night but it said that it had to be approved by a mod before it would be posted. Does this happen often, and does it take longer than 12 hours? Wanted to try uploading them again but not if they will show up some time today.

4. Ok, well just in case it doesn't go through and instead of sitting here waiting I am going to redo it and I will just delete the other later if it shows up.

Today is a month from seed for both plants. The Amnesia is producing more smell (it has smelled since week 2) and it's very light. I mean there is a lot of smell already but it's light and reminds me of incense and lemon with just a bit of that earthy skunky smell. I have my tent in a separate room inside my bedroom (kind of like a raised crawl space type deal) which is on the upper floor of my home. You can smell nothing downstairs, up the stairs and even in my bedroom. You can smell a little bit when you first open the door to the room the tent is in, but that is because the tent is right there and not further back in that room. When you open the tent it's a quick little blast in the face but again, it's not heavy or anything. I know that will change in a few weeks. I do not plan on flowering both plants at the same time. I am waiting for the Amnesia to finish before I flip the lights for the other plant so I don't risk losing any yield. I know that is a long veg period for the other but I have read in some journals that 70 days of flower will just get you a bigger plant, and I have the room for the 2-3x increase during flower that will happen. Right now I am just trying to learn and gain experience under my belt for future grows when I have more funds and whatnot. SO ANYWAY (I am long winded, I apologize) I want to get Phresh filter and Hurricane inline for odor control, but as I am not skimping and those are pricey, I cannot get those for a couple more weeks. However, I need to make sure that the smell does not travel downstairs or outside my home. I was going to make an Ona bucket just for the duration until I get the Filter and fan. Will that deal with the smell of one auto in flower for a few weeks? I don't care if the set up room or my bedroom smells a little I just need my house to not wreak of pungent bud. I've read that people can cover the smell of 8 flowering plants with Ona bucket and various odor eating gels. That seems a bit off to me, but I've never grown before so what do I know lol.

And then I burned the mystery plant around week two because I forgot I did not have two autos and that it did not need fed like the auto did. It only burned the two lowest leaves and it did fine. Then a few days ago I thought it looked like it needed fed so I fed it again (barely 1/4 strength both times) I have not flushed it yet because I am not sure exactly what is wrong with it despite reading several different pages on plant abuse and possible defs/toxicities/etc because it's all a lot to take in I guess lol. I was thinking calmag? But I have no idea what I am talking about so any input is welcome.

And last thing. I repotted my Amnesia the other night. It seems repotting during flowering is a no no, however it has only been one week of flowering and the leaves were getting droopy and soft and she was drinking a liter of water in just a few hours whereas the other plant can use an liter every 3-5 days. When I checked, the roots were trying to poke out of the holes in the bottom so I decided to go with my gut. I did not plan on keeping them in their small pots this long but I had no way to get new pots and didn't realize my bigger ones had been tossed out this summer. The Amnesia has perked up quite a bit in just a day or so. The fan leaves are fine but the leaves around the bud sites are kinda droopy still. I'm not sure why, but I noticed fan leaves were laying perfectly on top of the bud sites. I was afraid to trim the fan leaves so instead I kinda just tucked them under so the bud sites were getting more light.

SO SORRY FOR ALL THE WORDS. I'm sure most of you are faded and do not want to read massive walls of text but also kind of using this as a reference for my next attempt after this.

Attached Files:

5. Just add more cfls, 6700k, you dont have to use hps. i like my hps better but if the funds arent there then just stick to what you can afford. I used to pull 7 ounces from one plant with cfls, i have about 7 4 ft fixtures and 7 or 8 coil shop lights hangin from the ceiling.

6. 7 ounces from one plant.....woooooooooooooooooow

7. Hi guys! Even after repotting my Amnesia, she is still growing quickly. I read that it's supposed to stunt her growth for up to a week when you repot. Could that reaction be delayed? She is now 13 or 14 inches tall. Not completely sure because I half-ass the measuring. Her buds have gotten bigger and she was half an inch from touching the light when I just checked on them, this morning before lights out she was a good 2 inches away. I have new pictures of course. I also am having some issues with the other plant. I have done the same thing to each of them (watering, feeding ((which was my mistake)), rotating) but she is either burned and continuing to burn or has a deficiency of some sort, any ideas you guys? Any help is appreciated. Since she isn't doing so well I decided to practice LST with her. I'm not sure if I am doing it right. I tried it over a week ago and the other branches were coming up but not nearly as fast as other people said theirs were and the main branch was not curling over or coming back up the way I wanted so I tried to do it a bit more to see what happens. I know she is a bit far from the lights now as I have to keep raising them for Amnesia. Any input on the Phresh filter/Ona bucket thing I mentioned in previous post? The smell isn't even leaving the room she is in right now. It's damn cold where I live right now though and I know she will stink more in a couple more weeks.

Thanks for looking guys :)

Attached Files:

8. how do u plan to control the odor?

9. In a few weeks I plan on getting phresh filter and hurricane inline, but was hoping to use Ona bucket until I can get those in case the smell gets bad sooner. Right now the smell is very light and you can't really smell it until you get right next to the tent/open it. No smell in my bedroom yet. Had a hiccup in my finances this month that I did not expect so the money I had for the filter went to other things.

10. I can't believe how fast these things grow!

Day 38, about half way done!

Amnesia is now 16 inches tall. I noticed pistils are already turning orange, is this normal? Every leaf looks healthy and so far the only ones that have turned yellow or died were the cotyledons and a set of rounded leaves but I am pretty sure that was normal. It is smelling very nice by now to where if the door to the room the tent is in is opened for a few hours (damn cats), the smell travels through that room, into my bedroom and down the stairs. I fixed that and have the door blocked so they can no longer open it and haven't had an odor scare since. With that said, Ona bucket supplies is on it's way. I should definitely have phresh filter and hurricane inline by the time I flip the lights for the plant I have in veg right now. That one is starting to have a musky smell to it so I think it may be female- unless males can smell too?

Would it be okay to attempt to LST the Amnesia a bit to help the lower buds, or would that stunt growth at all? I started to try it and it leaned okay, but I got nervous. I pinched part of the stem to get it a bit softer to tie it down next time I tried and wow it smells good. Very lemon-citrusy.

Fed/watered Amnesia today. Here are some more pics.

Attached Files:

11. Shame... Wanted to know the yield

12. Don't worry you will get good quality smoke with the cfl make sure after a month you use red spectrum for flowering you could put more small ones in there too. You might be surprised how much you can get with cfl I have 3 250 wat red spectrum on 4 plants and I regularly get 3 dry ounces out of each auto plant

13. I am really sorry for bumping this thread, but there is a somewhat recent reply, so!! First, I apologize for disappearing. The yield was almost an ounce and I cut her down 2 weeks early out of first-timer anticipation. The Trichs were almost all cloudy and a little less than half amber when I harvested. It was a delicious smoke, even without proper curing. After a week or so of curing it smelled VERY cheesey and grapefruity. It was a very very nice, calming high. I did not experience paranoia even after not smoking for 6 months prior, but it definitely crept up on me... like a warm embrace from behind LOL.

Okay, anyway. Since then, I have attempted 3 grows and FAILED. I mixed my own organic soil after this harvest but went wrong somewhere and none of the plants I got past germ/sproutling survived long enough to get buds. I did find though, out of desperation that you can get a nice little buzz by smoking the corpses of your failures!  I had added another 80 watts of CFL lighting and never tried more than 2 plants at a time. I am about to purchase more beans as I ran out from failures, but I DO have two right now waiting to pop. One is an Industrial plant from Dinafem and the other is an unknown fem. Along with buying new beans, I am also going to buy more pro-mix to try again at mixing my own organic soil (I have everything from mineral dust to crustacean shells to alfalfa and indonesian bat guano) , and I will be buying a few more bags of Happy Frog and mostly autoflowers. I think I should master autoflowering strains before I waste anymore money on photos, as I have had very little luck with them.

My medical conditions have worsened and so the urgency for being able to grow and sustain my own medicine has escalated. I will be posting pictures ASAP after my 2 new ones pop (it's been 3 days and no signs, starting to wonder if they are duds but I do have a couple more beans if they are) and if I get past the sprout stage, I will make a new thread.

Last year I stopped coming here as I was busy all throughout the warmer months with my outdoor gardening, creating fairy gardens, fountains and taking care of indoor plants. (Plants and gardening are my passion, haha) I am hoping to hone in on my Mary thumb, since I have excelled in every other kind of plant that I have tried to grow. This past summer I had 18 different varieties of tomato in my garden and ended up with over 100 pounds of DELICIOUS tomatoes, and I don't even like them! 

Sorry for the walls of text again, but I do plan on becoming a much more active member and instead of just lurking I would love to finally be able to contribute and share my failures, but also learn from them and help others. I may also start posting in other areas of the forum like backyard gardening and such, and in 2-3 years I will be moving back to the wonderful WA state and begin my organic homesteading journey.

Much love to you all <3 Hopefully I have new pics or a new thread in a couple weeks! 

14. I agree with you. You can get a really good grow with CFL I have 2- 250wat  red spec and 1- 250wat duel spec I regularly get 3 dry ounces from auto girls always over 50gms dry I am strongly considering getting LED lights this year I want to try them out

15. Hello again! I just got my flowering T5 2700k bulbs today (4 and 2 extras) and my Hydrofarm T5 fixture with 6400k bulbs should be here tomorrow. ALSO expecting something from Attitude here in the next week or so. I have FFOF soil in two 7 gallon pots and I also finally bought a humidity/temp monitor for my tent. I plan on buying one of those co2 bags or w/e to put inside with the girls when they get going and if it seems to help I may get a co2 generator or make one so if anyone has used a co2 bag with their grows, please let me know if it helped at all. The first two babies I will be working with is Nirvana's Bubblicious Auto and Sweet Seeds Auto Black Cream. I have a lovely assortment of other strains, mostly purples, cheeses, fruits, blueberries, pineappple, pandora, lavender etc. 

SO, as soon as I get my new beans and they pop, I will be working with

FFOF soil in 7 gallon pots
    100 Watts from T5 fixture above
    125 Watts from coil CFL fixture I can hang vertically on one side, and then 4 20 watt CFL in split shop light fixtures mounted to get light to the lower branches if I don't end up LSTing. I don't know if I am brave enough to try with the first two, but definitely on the next round after this one I am going to make a screen and scrog it.

As of right now, I have avoided buying FF nutes, because I really wanted to try organic, but my soil I made last year didn't work well with my babies at all. If any of you could give me some advice on food once they start flowering with what I already have, that would be AMAZING.

Organic supplies I currently have are

-Alfalfa meal
    -Indonesian bat guano (that I purchased before doing research and apparently harvesting bat guano is bad for the environment it comes from)
    -Neptune's Harvest Crab/lobser/etc shells
    -Azomite mineral dust
    -Epsoma (i think) tomato/garden tone organic fert
    -Jobes compost starter (I also have a small compost heap at the side of my house I started last year with this with ASTOUNDING, rapid results and should be ready come spring, but kinda scared to use it with these babies)
    -Black strap molasses
    - Earth Worm Castings (about 2 cups left)

And I heard fresh, raw beet juice was really good too and I can make some here soon as I will be growing beets in my veggie garden.

With what I have listed above, can I mix any of that and use it as food for flowering without having to buy chemicals? And since I don't have the equip to do the fermented teas or whatever where you use a pump and hose or whatever, I am not entirely sure if I can just you know, mix some guano, alfalfa and EWC together and use it to water during flowering.

Thanks for reading and any help you may be able to offer :) 

\t