Dinafem Og Kush, Is She Ripe Yet?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by harrycharles, Apr 25, 2014.

1. #1 harrycharles, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here as I'm trying to gauge ripeness.  They're Dinafem OG Kush clones on day 49 in a coco grow under 250W.  Advertised as 55day strain.  They're only small as I turned them over quite early.  Their mother was the same strain but I learned the hard way with her that its a Mg heavy strain, it turned out ok but taste suffered.  These seem ok but they have pretty much only cloudy trichomes, no amber, but I read this is common with OG.  Can anyone confirm?.  They smell ok but I notice it more on my hands after handling, and then its smell amazing!  Nutrient uptake has dramatically slowed over the last few days with only a 0.200 change over 2 days.  I was going to go for a day 56 and start flushing but not sure at the moment

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. #2 Deleted member 699357, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2018
    aaa

3. #3 Mill, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Healthy looking, damn! Nice work.
    I don't think its quite ready yet. Maybe another couple weeks.
    Get a loop and keep an eye on those trichs

EDIT: You want the amber trichs, or mostly amber from what I've gathered on here and elsewhere.

4. Harvest time is always personal preference. When the buds stop swelling and the pistils have turned orange then it's usually time. Otherwise you'll need a x60+ microscope to look at trichomes. 50/50 milky/amber is about right.

5. Thanks guys.  I was planning to wait for the amber trichs but they're not here yet lol.  I'm just a little worried about leaving it too long waiting for trichs to turn while the buds shrivel up.

6. When you're checking the trichs does it matter where on the plant you check them?  For example on the actually top buds or the surround sugar leaf?

yea you want to check on the actual buds in a different few spots..when the trichs are mostly milky not clear then you're getting close

8. She's started to fill out a bit more so I'm gonna leave her for a while longer.  I've got her on a low fert mix alternating with water for now.  I am starting to see some taco leaf though is this normal in the final stages of harvest for some strains?

9. #9 harrycharles, May 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
    Quick update on the OG

As you can see most of the pistils are starting to withdraw so harvest will be over soon.  Not sure about these mythical amber trichs though.  All I can see at the moment are clear/cloudy.  Surely I cant wait much longer?  Getting a bit of taco leaf at the top but I don't think its Mg related, maybe heat.  Not too many white pistils left.

Attached Files:

10. Gorgeous! Have you started the final flush?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. No flush yet, just got her on alternate low ferts and plain water.  Lower/mid fan leaves are starting to yellow now.

12. Judging by that last pic , I'd flush it and pick it now . That's personal preference tho

13. The common consensus for OG Kush is 70days. She is can be jewel before 70days, but she really shines at 70.

14. She looks beautiful by the way! Looks a lot like my cut and must behave like it too! I can't feed her enough Cal/Mag it seems.

She smells really lemon sour early, but by day 70 she takes on thick earthy smell/taste.

15. Thanks guys. I'm gonna leave her to 70 after your advise I think I want that tailend harvest body stone.  Get the most out of that indica blood in her.  Start flushing at about 63 days.  With her mother I found CalMag didn't solve the problem when she got Mg problems in flower wasn't until late I actually remembered about Epsom salts lol.  I don't think the high N in my CalMag helped much either :(.  You're right though it is INSANE how much this strain gets through.  Must of used at least 8-10 grams of epsoms this run!! ridiculous really I was worried about a sulphur build up at one point but no signs of anything :)  Seems she uses the most around the PK boost time.

16. #17 tennesse, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
    gorgeous buds, man. Some suggest lowering the humidty as low as possible just before harvesting - during the lights out period. I've started doing it a few grows back using 2 commericial dehumidifyers and it seems to get my plants into that final stage you're lookin for. The story goes - the dryer air causes her to overproduce one final shot of the gooey stuff in a futile attempt to protect her offspring - or what would have been her offspring had she been polinated - from the dryness

It works. I've been able to get the humidity in my area down into the 20's usually - and even into the upper teens when the weather outside is dry as well.

17. Any actually ever seen amber trichs on an OG? lol am I gonna be here for months?

18. So day 61 now and they're really starting to look finished but no amber yet.  Yellowing is progressing and so is tacoing but I'm assuming this is normal as it's only the fan leaves not the sugar leaf.  Finding it real hard to hold on here guys lol.  Start the flush tomorrow.

Attached Files:

19. Just got to hang on!  Hope you took a cut, cause she is a beauty! Expect your trichomes change very rapidly after day 70.